Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Devaney's assessment of Chris Long.

"I don't think (pass rushing) is his forte," said Billy Devaney, the Rams' executive vice president of player personnel. "But against the run, the guy will be a force. He's an effort pass rusher. Every play you've got to block him to the death. And if you 't, if you let up, that's where he's going to get his sacks from.

'Relentless' linemen

Compared to Nick's article on the Rams site where Devaney talks about Dorsey, it sounds to me like he isn't as infatuated with Long as many believe. Now, this could be an obvious smoke screen, but does he really sound that impressed and enamored with him? Then again, the Patrick Kerney comparison he made I believe is spot on and look at the success Kerney has had in the NFL, mainly this past season. Thoughts?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Devaney's assessment of Chris Long.

I'm worried. I dunno whats going to happen...i want long...bad

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The quote is strange. I think Devaney's point was that Long is not a speed rusher, not that he isn't a pass rusher. Because later in the quote, Devaney talks about him rushing the passer. The fact that he says you have to "block him to the death" every play suggests Devaney thinks he's a pretty talented prospect. Is he as enamored with Long as he is with Dorsey? Who knows? There's a legitimate case to be made that you shouldn't believe anything personnel people come out and say publicly because it could all be misinformation.

general counsel is offline Registered User

For the millionth time, nick is correct. There is no way in the world that anyone is going to give the press or public confidential personnel assesments. No other business in the world does it, why should an nfl team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    For the millionth time, nick is correct. There is no way in the world that anyone is going to give the press or public confidential personnel assesments. No other business in the world does it, why should an nfl team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That may very well be the case in many situations, but one that really sticks out in my head is the 2006 draft. Charlie Casserly narrowed his choices down to Bush and Williams although the media disregarded Mario's name and constantly talked about how Bush would be used as a Texan. This prompted Casserly to come out and say something along the lines of "It's closer than everyone thinks and we don't know which one we are going to take as of yet." Of course, the media took this as a way for him to raise leverage in negotiations with Bush. But just as he said, Casserly stunned everyone and took Williams #1.

Again, in most cases it is all lies and smoke screens in order not to give thr public or in particular other teams a gage of what you want, but that case right there was blatent honesty and Devaney seems like a 'give it to you straight' type of person. Man, all this talk I can't wait for the draft!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Casserly doesn't get enough credit for making the right choiced there either.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Casserly made that pick because of money, NOT because he thought williams was the better guy. They didnt have confidence that they could sign bush. I dont believe for one second that it came down to skills. Of course, the irony is, he probably did take the better guy for the team in the long run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Makes sense. Leave it in the open, talk about multiple players. and once miami picks their player (hopefully anybody but long) we go and draft our player.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is so odd. The other night I was playing poker over at Devaney's house. And that bum DIDN'T show his cards! The whole table (Miklasz, Thomas, Burwell, Gordon, Balzer, Waggoner, etc.) asked to see his cards, but that jerk wouldn't show!

What the heck? He'll report the Rams draft strategy to the media, but that stupid stinkin' hump won't show me he's holding a pair of ladies w/ Ace high?

Or maybe....and I'm just spitballin' here....maybe from Week 17 to the Draft is the WORLD'S LONGEST POKER GAME !!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very true HUb, the NFL Draft is the world's longest poker game. As for the discussion of Casserly, remember he was in the catbird seat, they had the #1 pick so no one was able to change their pick by trading ahead of them, unless they chose to do so. I think GC makes the key point, it was about money. It always is.

Go Rams!:r

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Casserly made that pick because of money, NOT because he thought williams was the better guy. They didnt have confidence that they could sign bush. I dont believe for one second that it came down to skills. Of course, the irony is, he probably did take the better guy for the team in the long run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Casserly was stepping down as GM following the draft so I honestly don't believe it was because of money. He had to make the pick and he was gone. He would have left negotiations to the new head so I believe he actually thought Mario Williams was the better prospect and fit for the team. The value of getting pressure on a guy like Peyton Manning was more than a guy who would be a kick returner (already had Mathis) and more.

Anyway, I want the draft to come nowwwwwwww!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Devaney says that pass rushing isnt Long's forte. Thats all he says. All that is a credit to is how good Long is against the run, as that is what Long truly excells at. He then continues to say that you have to block Long to death otherwise he will get to the QB. If he is saying that about Long's pass rushing, then his play against the run must be extraordinary

Doesnt sound bad if you ask me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Devaney says that pass rushing isnt Long's forte. Thats all he says. All that is a credit to is how good Long is against the run, as that is what Long truly excells at. He then continues to say that you have to block Long to death otherwise he will get to the QB. If he is saying that about Long's pass rushing, then his play against the run must be extraordinary

Doesnt sound bad if you ask me.
    That's exactly how I read it as well. He's a run stopping DE, which you'd expect from a 3-4 DE, that you constantly have to double or at least chip with a RB/TE, or else he's going to cause havok in the backfield. You want to run to that side, double him and risk the LB coming free or else he'll make the play himself. Don't double him on a 7 step drop, look out because if that tackle makes any misstep, your QB's done for.