general counsel Guest

Dez, etc question on barry waller and draft

There is some terrific stuff by barry waller on the rams draft on the insiders website. I dont want to take any risk of violating any potential copyrights so i am not going to go into the details here, but i wonder if dez or anyone else has barrys permission or otherwise has the authority to post barrys current info regarding the offensive tackle situation in round 1 of the draft.

If anyone still subscribes to the insiders, i strongly suggest that you read the recent posts by barry. It has really opened my eyes regarding brown and round 1.

Bottom line-barry suggests that taking an offensive tackle in round one DOES NOT make sense for the rams, given the limited impact that position will have as a rookie in year one, and given the other needs the rams have (ie cb/safety) where a greater impact can be had in round one and still draft a tackle later. Thinks the rams may try to trade up to get ahead of the saints to take davis.

Fascinating analysis.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -04-20-2005 at 06:18 PM. Reason: grammar

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dez, etc question on barry waller and draft

Not to be unfair to Barry, who generally is okay, but last year I posted that I thought the Rams would take a RB in the first round, and he told me I was crazy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think there's some strong logic with using our first round pick on a guy who can make an immediate impact, so I'm not going to discount what Barry says. However, I subscribe to the notion that if we have an opportunity to secure the future of our line in round one, we should take it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I say get an offensive lineman at 19th at all cost.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I know there will be some in the Rams Organization that will want to go Defense in Rd 1 after the debacle in Atlanta. ORT is a need, but watch that a couple games from last year late and it seems DT, DE, SS, FS, and CB are also big needs.

I don't know if the Rams FO is settled upon which direction it is going yet.

I agree, Tony. I certainly don't think RT is the set in stone target for round one. It's all going to depend on who gets selected as the Rams' pick draws closer, though I honestly can't see them going DL in the first round. I think it's basically a toss up between RT and DB - while the top end talent at T might be better than it is at safety, you've also got good depth at T and thus could afford to take one in round two or three if you're not counting on him being a starter in 2005.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I think there's some strong logic with using our first round pick on a guy who can make an immediate impact
    I hear you, Nick, but I'm afraid if we don't solidify that RT spot, the only impact will be Bulger's back hitting the turf. Assuming Armey wasn't just blowing smoke, he himself said that any of the three B's could start at OT next year for the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I hear you, Nick, but I'm afraid if we don't solidify that RT spot, the only impact will be Bulger's back hitting the turf. Assuming Armey wasn't just blowing smoke, he himself said that any of the three B's could start at OT next year for the Rams.
    Man, all this talk has me pumped. I'm not sure I can wait until Saturday. :ramlogo: