a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

Dion Jordan OLB/DE Oregon

Possible surprise pick for the rams at 16? Tons of athletism, speed and great coverage skills. has loooong arms. Similar to Aldon Smith as far as hight, weight and reach are concerned. Would be an asset to our defense, and not only fill a whole at linebacker, but could somewhat come in as an extra DE for defensive situations. He's more than capable of both spots. A nice weapon to have if we're going to continue to grow more aggressive on that side of the ball. It'd be nice to steal him away from Pittsburgh one pick in front Plus there's a great chance of Warmack/Fisher/Patterson/Best player available being there, or even trading down or up I can't wait to see what Snead and Fisher do on draft day. I know they'd trump a lot of us, no matter what any of us think they should do. Totally excited

citr92 is online now Registered User

Re: Dion Jordan OLB/DE Oregon

i don't know if i'd pick him for another linebacker let alone all the defensive lineman we have

plus, there's plenty of other holes to fill, especially with a chance of 2 first rounders

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I don't watch a lot of college football, but doesn't Oregon run like a hybrid 3-4 defense? I know that Jordan is extremely talented but he seems better suited for a team running the 3-4 defense. I only watched one Ducks game this year and recall seeing him lining up as a DE but standing up much of the time. I did see him play LB as well but remember him being used mostly as a DE. Maybe I didn't see the whole story on Jordan as I am going off solely one game. However, I trust the FO's judgement, so if they have him graded high and he slips to 16 we shall see. I did not see the Brockers pick coming and that has turned out well so far.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

yeah Dion Jordan is not a 4-3 OLB. In a 4-3 he'd be a DE. I do not think he's a fit for our team.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think the "he doesn't fit here" is over-rated. Great players make great plays, that's all there is to it. Aldon Smith played DE in a 4-3 in college and now is one of the best stand-up rush 3-4 LB's in the league. And the best pass rusher that same year played in a 3-4 D (Von Miller) and was pegged as one of the better 3-4 rushers in many years, and yet he plays in a 4-3 with the Broncos and is arguably (my opinion too) the best pass rusher in the league.

You just need to know where to put these guys in a position to succeed. I remember that draft reading something AV posted about how we should be very interested in J.J Watt, though I remember precisely the "turn-off" from myself and a few other posters was that he was a DL in a 3-4 and wouldn't fit our system. Maybe we were right, maybe not. But Watt just arguably had the BEST season in NFL HISTORY for a DL in a 3-4 with 20+ sacks and 15+ passes defended. Guys like Watt are too good for us too simply say "he doesn't fit here".

You need to get a joker role for these kinds of guys. Something that has a variation of standing up, hand in the dirt, dropping back, rushing the passer, mixing it up. I'd be interested, though we do have bigger holes. But I'm all for BPA so we'll see!

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The question with guys like Jordan is "how many downs can he play in a 4-3"? Some of these OLB/DE tweeners are so used to pinning their ears back and shooting into the backfield, that they're not much help in other aspects of the game (i.e. covering a TE).

I think its always interesting to watch players like this in games like the Senior Bowl or during workouts. Some will make a point of trying to get reps or show skills in a position that they didn't focus on in college, so that they can show their ability to play in multiple systems.

Is Jordan a guy like that? Not sure.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think the "he doesn't fit here" is over-rated. Great players make great plays, that's all there is to it. Aldon Smith played DE in a 4-3 in college and now is one of the best stand-up rush 3-4 LB's in the league. And the best pass rusher that same year played in a 3-4 D (Von Miller) and was pegged as one of the better 3-4 rushers in many years, and yet he plays in a 4-3 with the Broncos and is arguably (my opinion too) the best pass rusher in the league.

You just need to know where to put these guys in a position to succeed. I remember that draft reading something AV posted about how we should be very interested in J.J Watt, though I remember precisely the "turn-off" from myself and a few other posters was that he was a DL in a 3-4 and wouldn't fit our system. Maybe we were right, maybe not. But Watt just arguably had the BEST season in NFL HISTORY for a DL in a 3-4 with 20+ sacks and 15+ passes defended. Guys like Watt are too good for us too simply say "he doesn't fit here".

You need to get a joker role for these kinds of guys. Something that has a variation of standing up, hand in the dirt, dropping back, rushing the passer, mixing it up. I'd be interested, though we do have bigger holes. But I'm all for BPA so we'll see!
    I'm not saying his skills don't fit our team as a 4-3 DE. I'm saying I don't see why anyone would draft hm as a 4-3 OLB when that clearly doesn't fit his skill set.

TS is suggesting we draft him to fit one of our OLB holes and that's clearly not his position.