throwback week

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

D'Marco Farr on 101: Rams plan to have 3x amount of cap space they currently have

Yesterday on The Fast Lane on 101 ESPN, our very own D'Marco Farr had something very interesting to say:

Right now the Rams currently have about 11 million in cap space, and I've been told they plan on having about 3x that amount by the time free agency rolls around
    Now I don't know what this all means, but I like it. I wonder if Sam (I hope), offered to restructure his contract so they could use that money on assets that can help him win football games. Wonder who will be cut, or if a long term deal is in the works with Chris Long to reduce his cap number this year?

Many possibilities, but the fact DFarr hears our cap space will be around the 30 mil range by the time free agency rolls round is very interesting.

Whether it proves to be true or false, we will soon find out. Just thought I'd pass along what I heard, but 30 mil could buy a pretty penny with this deep FA class.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: D'Marco Farr on 101: Rams plan to have 3x amount of cap space they currently have

Well, from what I remember, Sam has about $12M in base salary this year and 4 total years left. If his entire salary was turned into a signing bonus(so hard to be paid up front, I know), we'd get $9M towards the cap, and then pay an extra $3M for each of the next three years.

Long is somewhere in that $13M range, so if he signs long term and drops that number to say, $6M, then that's another $7M.

So far we're at $16M of $22M. Hall is worth about $3M in cap savings. I don't want to, but Bartell is probably worth between $4-6 in cap room. I don't know about what we might do with Jason Smith or Jason Brown. Brown's had one bad year in what, seven? I really hope that we keep him. Bannan would be a negative cap cut, though Robbins is probably worth a couple of million.

It's doable, but nothing ever comes for free.
    I believe!

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: D'Marco Farr on 101: Rams plan to have 3x amount of cap space they currently have

Think it'll be easier for the new regime to create capspace.

We as fans hang on to certain players and want to see them do better or live up to expactations we have/had of them. Much like the old regime would.

But having no prior links to this roster (other then a couple players that played before for some of the coaches) I'm guessing we'll be in for some surprising cuts. Not in the least to get 'their' guys or scheme players in.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Sounds like good news. Just hoping this is a great combo of good news as well as no moves that we as fans might not like.

I.E. I get the feeling Lance Kendricks might be shown the door. Don't know how much he affects the cap though

RebelYell is offline Registered User

$11 million seems really low. They had MULTIPLE free agents last year who signed 1-year deals only and should be off the cap. Poppinga,
    Donnie Jones and Josh Brown are likely gone.
    Ron Bartell is due a huge amount, he'll be the guy who renegotiates. He gets $6.2 million and another $2 million in bonuses - they can get an upgrade for that type of money or renegotiate for much less.
    Jason Smith may be forced to renegotiate.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Sounds like good news. Just hoping this is a great combo of good news as well as no moves that we as fans might not like.

I.E. I get the feeling Lance Kendricks might be shown the door. Don't know how much he affects the cap though
    Why do you get the feeling we would cut a 2nd year TE who has a great catching TE in college but struggled his rookie year along with every single other member of the receiving corp? Is it one and done for guys now?

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Why do you get the feeling we would cut a 2nd year TE who has a great catching TE in college but struggled his rookie year along with every single other member of the receiving corp? Is it one and done for guys now?
    No, I mean I love him. Loved the pick, and last season was a fluke at best so wan't to give Kendricks atleast another couple years. However I think fisher regime might go with more blocking TEs. Then again we have no one else as good at TE anyway, so he is most probably safe. Especially since he's just had only one year,

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

We must re-do contracts of: Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Josh Brown, Sam Bradford, Chris Long (long term), Ron Bartell, James Laurinaitis (long term), Bradley Fletcher (long term).

Obviously thats not possible but I like the idea of some NFL players taking pay cuts to help their teams bring in FA's. (Sanchez did it, and some other guys cant remember). I think Sam should do so, and if we cant re-structure with some of these guys turn their salaries into signing bonuses.

We have a new regime. We can expect to see a lot of new faces around here. We need to make nice cap to make that possible, which could be a huge asset in FA this year.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    No, I mean I love him. Loved the pick, and last season was a fluke at best so wan't to give Kendricks atleast another couple years. However I think fisher regime might go with more blocking TEs. Then again we have no one else as good at TE anyway, so he is most probably safe. Especially since he's just had only one year,
    But we also have Shottenheimer as OC, who does utilize pass catching TEs, like Dustin Keller.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Long is somewhere in that $13M range, so if he signs long term and drops that number to say, $6M, then that's another $7M.
    It must all be from pro-rated bonus money then, because the salary number I found for him was only $2.56 million.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    We must re-do contracts of: Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Josh Brown, Sam Bradford, Chris Long (long term), Ron Bartell, James Laurinaitis (long term), Bradley Fletcher (long term).
    Extending these two may end up costing the Rams more against the cap than it would save, because they're finishing up rookie contracts that weren't that expensive to begin with. Not saying we shouldn't do it, but we should just keep in mind that an extension doesn't always equate to a cap savings. But if the Rams can get some room from cutting/renegotiating/extending some of the other names you listed, then the savings from those deals could put them in a better place to make more costly extensions to other players.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    But we also have Shottenheimer as OC, who does utilize pass catching TEs, like Dustin Keller.
    And don't forget about Fisher's use of Frank Wycheck in the old days. The Fish was using a receiving tight end even before Antonio Gates made it so popular.