Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Do the Rams need a 1st round WR?

The Rams can win by adding a prospect and a free agent. I'm not sold that a WR in the first round is a requirement.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would go after Mathias Kiwunuka in FA and a LB like Rocky McCintosh or Zac Diles to fill the huge hole the week side. My 3rd target I would consider Tony Schefler depending on how Uh-Oh and Fendi Develop.

In the draft not only am I going to look at AJ Green or Julio Jones in the first round, but I would also take a look at Devier Posey and Ryan Broyles in the second round. You can never have enough weapons creating a strong young offensive nucleus would be great for Bradford and the whole team. Stable of young talented WRs and TEs a pretty good young o-line, S-Jax, and of course the Samchise. You also have Long and Kiwi on the other side of the ball. Make those moves stay Healthy and your going somewhere.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Wow... the more i look at it, the more it looks like we are a couple FA pickups and ANOTHER solid draft away from being the division favorites for years to come. I also think we need to be careful not to overlook what Fred Robbins has done for this team. If/when he leaves i think it will have a HUGE negative impact on this defense. Lets make sure we have someone in place when he calls it a career. How old is Robbins anyway?

iso10topes is offline Registered User

according to my madden. robbins is 33 years old.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

First, it is way too early to even begin to project who is going to be drafted when.

As far as needs, the defensive line has been one the bright spots this year. Certainly the blitz packages produce alot of pressure, but the defensive line has often produced decent pressure without extra blitzers. Is the defensive line really the biggest need? We have problems with edge runners (at least so far this year), are we not talking about a linebacker upgrade from that perspective?

As far as the WR versus other needs debate, I do think WR is the biggest hole on the team. At the same time I don't think we can solve that in the short-term through the draft unless we get lucky. I think we already have a potentially solid core of wide outs now, but who in the heck can tell with all of the injuries and question marks currently out there. Unless Danario Alexander stays healthy and burns up the field this year, we need to look for a #1 reciever on the FA market. Bradford will be a good QB with a mediocre corps of WRs, but he will be great with better talent. Bradford is not a one-man show and needs more talent around him.

I still think getting Vincent Jackson was and is the way to go. And anyone thinking we can aquire an elite reciever without paying him elite money for long is living in la la land. If we want a #1 reciever, we are going to have to pay for one, one way or another. And the biggest argument against him is the two DWIs. Let me just say that next year VJ is going to be an elite reciever on someones team (and that is an easy bet I would make any day of the week), why not us? Does anyone really think VJ won't be producing at a high level the next few years? Proven young talent versus unproven young draft talent, that should be an easy choice.
    Last edited by swatter555; -10-19-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    As far as needs, the defensive line has been one the bright spots this year. Certainly the blitz packages produce alot of pressure, but the defensive line has often produced decent pressure without extra blitzers. Is the defensive line really the biggest need? We have problems with edge runners (at least so far this year), are we not talking about a linebacker upgrade from that perspective?
    While the defensive line is performing well now, the argument for using a pick on the line would be that you can't count on 33-year-old veterans James Hall and Fred Robbins forever, and it's better to have someone in place ready to take their spot than wait until it becomes a problem area. Essentially, if the best player on the board when the Rams pick is a defensive lineman, they shouldn't shy away from it simply because of Hall and Robbins. Those guys are playing lights out now, but aren't long-term solutions for this team.

thatguy is offline Registered User

I really think they will draft A.J. Green if they have a shot at him and I don't think they would use the 1st pick on a DE either. The Rams may had got a big steal with Selvie and if they like what they see in him they will slowly make him a starter. He needs to gain some size but that will come over time. Also Gary Gibson isn't the Dominant run stopping DT that this team needs.

d4w34p0n13 is offline Registered User

I have to say last year i was disappointed with the way they handled the WR thing I really like Mardy Gilyard but man why do you get rid of Burton i do think Gibson is on his way to becoming premier but Laurent Robinson HELL NO! What a disappointment and i was really bummed out cause i expected him to be great he wont be a ram next year. I really wanted the rams to get Ahmad Bradshaw instead of Chris Ogbannaya even though i liked chris he got cut anyway and I really liked the guy the Panthers got Brandon LaFell i have a feeling hes gonna be good I feel Gilyard was a great pick and we will see a lot of him for years to come but right now Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson & Danario Alexander have taken the show under WR. The rams I thought though did a nice job picking some good tight ends i like Hoomanawanui and Fendi Onobun is one of those guys whos either gonna be a bust or a big time player he has tons of potential and i cant wait till he gets his chance on the field. Also i have to say the rams will not get AJ Green or Julio Jones cause the rams are gonna pick around 15-20 there good and there getting better each week trust me the rams will improve and soon the rams fans who waited years and watched them all those years no matter how bad they were will be able to be the people to see guys coming on the bandwagon and saying ''THERES NO MORE ROOM BUDDY" Rams are heading in the right direction BABY!

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

.... your right were gonna get 15-20th pick maybe more cause we might win our divisoin... but if you hvaent noticed... AJ Green is off the board, then its Michael Floyd, then Jonathan Baldwin.. WR is deep this year.. Julio Jones with a broken hand will make his stocks drop.. and he still manages to get 12 catches with it.. he'll be a steal. watch out guys.. Demarco murray in the 2nd ! lets get it!

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    Julio Jones with a broken hand will make his stocks drop
    Unless there's permanent damage to his hand, I doubt that.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really believe that the combination of Avery and Clayton will pose a huge threat to opposing defenses next season. So with that in mind I'm not in the use our 1st pick in the draft on a WR group.

GO RAMS!!!

d4w34p0n13 is offline Registered User

id love to get mark ingram or aj green

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Guys honestly when you think about it we have wide receivers. The only problem is injuries. Getting AJ Green does not mean he will stay healthy for a full season. When Clayton was healthy he showed that he is a #1 WR with sam bradford. Amendola is proving he is a great #2 and a nice slot receiver. Then we have Alexander, Robinson, and Gibson one them can be the #2 when Amendola plays slot.

We have talent at WR the only issue is health and how do we know a 1st round WR will not get injured?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Guys honestly when you think about it we have wide receivers. The only problem is injuries. Getting AJ Green does not mean he will stay healthy for a full season. When Clayton was healthy he showed that he is a #1 WR with sam bradford. Amendola is proving he is a great #2 and a nice slot receiver. Then we have Alexander, Robinson, and Gibson one them can be the #2 when Amendola plays slot.

We have talent at WR the only issue is health and how do we know a 1st round WR will not get injured?
    What's funny about your direction here is that many of us who were skeptical about Bradford as the pick earlier this year would have made the same argument - how do we know Sam won't get injured? Can we take that risk?

So far, it's turned out well, and the lesson seems to be that, unless there's some serious ongoing concern about the future health of a prospect, you probably shouldn't back off a position or prospect simply due to the off chance he might get hurt.

The logic you use - "Getting AJ Green does not mean he will stay healthy for a full season" - could be applied to any position we could draft. The only thing you can do is use your pick to select the best available player at a position of need.

If that player is a wide receiver, I don't think you pass on him because you have guys like Brandon Gibson, Danario Alexander, and Laurent Robinson.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What's funny about your direction here is that many of us who were skeptical about Bradford as the pick earlier this year would have made the same argument - how do we know Sam won't get injured? Can we take that risk?

So far, it's turned out well, and the lesson seems to be that, unless there's some serious ongoing concern about the future health of a prospect, you probably shouldn't back off a position or prospect simply due to the off chance he might get hurt.

The logic you use - "Getting AJ Green does not mean he will stay healthy for a full season" - could be applied to any position we could draft. The only thing you can do is use your pick to select the best available player at a position of need.

If that player is a wide receiver, I don't think you pass on him because you have guys like Brandon Gibson, Danario Alexander, and Laurent Robinson.
    Nah actually what i was saying is "if" healthy we have a pretty good receiving core and should not assume they will get injured next year. I mean Mark Clayton was showing that he was a go-to target for Bradford and Donnie Avery put up decent stats when Bulger, Boller, and Null were his QBs. And when it comes to depth i think we are pretty solid with Gibby and Alexander.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast