Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Do the Rams need a 1st round WR?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Nah actually what i was saying is "if" healthy we have a pretty good receiving core and should not assume they will get injured next year. I mean Mark Clayton was showing that he was a go-to target for Bradford and Donnie Avery put up decent stats when Bulger, Boller, and Null were his QBs. And when it comes to depth i think we are pretty solid with Gibby and Alexander.
    The problem I see is that none of our receivers has a history of performing at a #1 level for an extended period. Avery is inconsistent, Clayton performed well for a quarter of a season, Amendola is great but not a #1, and nobody else even shows the potential to be a go-to guy.

Remember coming into this season a lot of people were hanging their WR hats on the production that Robinson and Gibson showed in their brief stints before getting injured. And what has either of them done this season? I'm still not convinced we have a permanent solution at WR.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

I would like to consider Michael Floyd since it looks like we're most likely drafting out of the Top 10. He's 6'3", physical, good hands, concentration, and Andre Johnson-like. With Sam Bradford throwing lasers at the kid, he's bound to develop faster than Johnson IMO.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Remember coming into this season a lot of people were hanging their WR hats on the production that Robinson and Gibson showed in their brief stints before getting injured. And what has either of them done this season? I'm still not convinced we have a permanent solution at WR.

That's a good point, and I was guilty of it myself. It's not illogical to expect them to perform as they did in the past, but if that we're always the case, we'd still be carrying around Marc Bulger!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I would like to consider Michael Floyd since it looks like we're most likely drafting out of the Top 10. He's 6'3", physical, good hands, concentration, and Andre Johnson-like. With Sam Bradford throwing lasers at the kid, he's bound to develop faster than Johnson IMO.
    Floyd does not have the speed of a guy like Johnson, so I don't think he's that kind of prospect. I see him more as a Anquan Boldin type (best case scenario).

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Defense will improve next year alone and a couple of adjustments.Our offense needs a true #1 WR.With that we wont have to use our defense as much as a crutch.Our offense would actually be able to help the defense out imagine that lol.Spag makes defensive players but not necessarily WR's so lets get a WR...through FA is my plan tho.Not first round draft.

ludairv is offline Registered User

i have a feelin the rams will surpise us all, spags i think wont draft a d-lineman with his first pick, if you see what he did in new york , he made magic oujt of rotational lineman, their top players osi and tuck werent even first rd draft choices, if aynthing i think they go linebacker or widereciever.... 8ball- runnings back (assumiing engram is still on te board.)

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Nah actually what i was saying is "if" healthy we have a pretty good receiving core and should not assume they will get injured next year. I mean Mark Clayton was showing that he was a go-to target for Bradford and Donnie Avery put up decent stats when Bulger, Boller, and Null were his QBs. And when it comes to depth i think we are pretty solid with Gibby and Alexander.
    Yet how can you do the opposite and just assume players with injury/durability concerns are going to stay healthy?

Despite being relatively young players, Avery, Robinson, and Alexander already have durability concerns, so you're rolling the dice if you're going to bank on them staying healthy in the future. Who knows how well Clayton comes back from injury, assuming the Rams resign him as a free agent.

Even when Clayton was on the field, the Rams weren't exactly a consistent offensive powerhouse - their 30 point victory over Washington was preceded by two offensive clunkers against Arizona and Oakland. Does bringing back Avery completely change that? I kind of doubt it.

The current group of receivers would be pretty good with a legitimate playmaking weapon leading the pack. Right now, I don't see that player on the team and I think finding that guy is really going to help this team get the most out of Sam Bradford.

Does it have to be in the first round? No, but if a legit receiver is staring you in the face in round one, I don't think you pass because of the guys we have right now. I simply don't like the idea of sitting around and waiting for one of these guys to suddenly emerge. If we draft a WR and someone else does become a stud, then even better - hopefully that'd give us two great ones, which is a problem I'd love the Rams to have again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123