Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu if he falls to the 3rd/4th round?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

I wouldn't.

Even without the off-the-field issues, he's still a 5'9 cornerback who missed a whole year of football.

I might take a flyer on him towards the end of the draft, primarily for his value as a punt returner.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

why do people keep calling Matthieu a safety? He played like one or two games as a safety.

Plus he's very overrated in pass coverage. He's more of a returner more than anything.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd be very tempted, because he has amazing instincts (right away people continue to compare him to Ed Reed). It's a tough one though because I don't want him anywhere near Janoris. Depends on how the team thinks they can handle all these troublemakers.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    (right away people continue to compare him to Ed Reed)
    Crazy people, maybe.

Reed is a first ballot HOF. No player coming out of college should be compared to him... especially a smallish CB who missed a year due to drug issues.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Crazy people, maybe.

Reed is a first ballot HOF. No player coming out of college should be compared to him... especially a smallish CB who missed a year due to drug issues.
    Last year during LSU's BCS run a lot of announcers and football guys were talking about the guy like he was the next coming of Jesus. I heard too many times that he has instincts like Ed Reed.

Not sure if I'd take him. I mean talent-wise, easily I'd take a chance on him in the 5th or 6th round. The real question is do I want him anywhere near JJenkz?

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Last year during LSU's BCS run a lot of announcers and football guys were talking about the guy like he was the next coming of Jesus.
    Not sure you're helping your case there. They said the same thing about Tim Tebow.

I heard too many times that he has instincts like Ed Reed.
    Don't believe everything you hear.

Not sure if I'd take him. I mean talent-wise, easily I'd take a chance on him in the 5th or 6th round. The real question is do I want him anywhere near JJenkz?
    I don't buy into that whole "bad influence" teammate thing. If Janoris Jenkins wants to spend his offseason tempting fate with questionable behavior, he'll find someone to go along for the ride.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

I posted a thread about him about 2 weeks ago making the same case. I would take him purely as a returner to start. I had him in the fifth (don't see him going that late) and most on this board still opposed it.

I'm all in for a fourth - YES!

richtree is offline Registered User

HE only had college level skills to begin with....he is at best roster bubble player....he will never impact one NFL game....no way @@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by richtree; -12-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.

anyone who compares Mathieu to Ed Reed is a fool. Dude has barely even played safety and had 4 total interceptions in his 2 college seasons. In Reeds second college season he had 8 interceptions and two were returned for touchdowns.

Comparing a guy who has barely played safety, hasn't even shown he can play the position well, already has issues in pass coverage, and is 3 inches shorter and almost 30 pounds lighter to one of the 5 greatest safeties in the history of the NFL is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Did the same person compare Denard Robinson to Adrian Peterson after his 3 or 4 games at running back?

I actually might take a shot on Mathieu but not before round 5. There are just too many good players in the earlier rounds for me to take a risk on a guy whose upside seems to be slot corner/returner.

Seriously if it's Tyron Mathieu or Stepfan Taylor, Zach Ertz, Baccari Rambo, Da'Rick Rogers or Eddie Lacy in round 3 would anyone take Mathieu? There is a lot of talent in the middle rounds. Too much to take a guy like Mathieu. People keep comparing him to Jenkins as well but he is nowhere near the talent Jenkins is.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Crazy people, maybe.

the next tye hill

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The reason Mathieu is listed as a safety and not a CB is three-fold.

1. his straight line speed is sub-par. He has premier change of direction speed and quickness but when trying to cover deep, he's always playing from behind.
    2. He's undersized. He's listed as 5'9 and 180 lbs and that's not going to cut it in the NFL. Add 15 lbs and that's not going to increase his speed any.
    3. His greatest skill set on defense was his ability to be amazingly tough and make tackles few could make. LSU played him as an extra LBer a lot of times because of that.

Mathieu is a nickel corner and you can get those guys in the 6th round. He'll go in the 3rd or 4th and his team will be disappointed.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Charles Woodson has essentially played nickel the last several years at Green Bay and has been excellent and a huge game changer on defense. Mathieu most likely won't ever be a defensive player of the year or the type of player that Woodson was but he can certainly make an impact on games playing the position he played in college and his ability on returns is a plus.

The coaching staff should obviously check out his character concerns and find out exactly what he was suspended for before making a move on him but if it seems like the only thing he did was smoke some weed (a larger issue that should probably be discussed somewhere other than a football forum) then I would be fine with The Rams taking him in the 4th round or later.

richtree is offline Registered User

This guy is a bummmmmmm.....With sub-par skils, which are probably diminishing based on his off the field issues...

NO NO NO

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Charles Woodson has essentially played nickel the last several years at Green Bay and has been excellent and a huge game changer on defense. Mathieu most likely won't ever be a defensive player of the year or the type of player that Woodson was but he can certainly make an impact on games playing the position he played in college and his ability on returns is a plus.

The coaching staff should obviously check out his character concerns and find out exactly what he was suspended for before making a move on him but if it seems like the only thing he did was smoke some weed (a larger issue that should probably be discussed somewhere other than a football forum) then I would be fine with The Rams taking him in the 4th round or later.
    The problem is when we go with three corners Finnegan moves to the slot.

Btw he didn't just smoke weed he also was a drug dealer. Last time he was arrested he was caught with scales along with weed.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast