Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

  1. #16
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    The problem is when we go with three corners Finnegan moves to the slot.

    Btw he didn't just smoke weed he also was a drug dealer. Last time he was arrested he was caught with scales along with weed.
    I doubt he'll have to sell weed anymore while his school is making millions of dollars because of him when hes earning a 6 figure NFL salary. I would leave the character concerns up to the coaching staff where they can get information that we can not. A lot of NFL players have gone on to have great careers while doings drugs. I'm sure all Giants fans would redraft Lawrence Taylor again and I would say that well over half of the people I know in college smoke weed. Granted, most college students are not division 1 athletes, but I think this issue is much bigger than football and I feel that getting caught doing a relatively harmless drug should not be the main reason for passing on a potentially good player.

    I agree that he wouldn't be a starter on this team in 2013 but Finnegan shows that small corners can be good players in the NFL and you can never have too many corners as the 2011 Rams showed us. You can take risks like this on guys in later rounds because playmakers are scarse at that time. The only draft picks from the 4th round and later that are still on the Rams roster are from the 2012 draft. If he was being considered for a 2nd or 3rd round pick then I agree he wouldn't be worth the risk but he could be a high value selection in later rounds.


  2. #17
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    ^ funny you mention Finnegan because he'd be the exact reason I wouldn't take Mathieu. When we go to 3 or 4 corners Finnegan moves to the slot so where would Mathieu play?

    I actually like Mathieu talent in some ways. He's a playmaker, he's tough and he's got return skills. I just think he's overhyped. He's not great in coverage and he's small.

    This draft has quite a few talented players who will go in the mid rounds and if it's get a talented running back, safety, outside linebacker, tight end, guard/center or take a shot on a guy who has character issues, might not have a NFL position and who isn't as talented as people think he is I'll take the talented players without flaws. The earliest I'd consider drafting him is round 5.

    Btw all the drafts before 2012 mean nothing because we don't have the same gm any more. Les Snead got Zuerlein, Givens, Daryl Richardson and Rovetkus Watkins in the fourth round or later. So we got one of the best kickers in the league, a rookie receiver on pace for 50 rec 800 yards, a rookie RB on pace for 600 yards on 5.4 ypc and a guard who was actually starting in his rookie year. Snead has shown he can get talent in these rounds.

  3. #18
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    ^ funny you mention Finnegan because he'd be the exact reason I wouldn't take Mathieu. When we go to 3 or 4 corners Finnegan moves to the slot so where would Mathieu play?

    I actually like Mathieu talent in some ways. He's a playmaker, he's tough and he's got return skills. I just think he's overhyped. He's not great in coverage and he's small.

    This draft has quite a few talented players who will go in the mid rounds and if it's get a talented running back, safety, outside linebacker, tight end, guard/center or take a shot on a guy who has character issues, might not have a NFL position and who isn't as talented as people think he is I'll take the talented players without flaws. The earliest I'd consider drafting him is round 5.

    Btw all the drafts before 2012 mean nothing because we don't have the same gm any more. Les Snead got Zuerlein, Givens, Daryl Richardson and Rovetkus Watkins in the fourth round or later. So we got one of the best kickers in the league, a rookie receiver on pace for 50 rec 800 yards, a rookie RB on pace for 600 yards on 5.4 ypc and a guard who was actually starting in his rookie year. Snead has shown he can get talent in these rounds.
    I wouldn't want Mathieu starting. I don't think any team drafts a 4th round pick expecting them to start. Teams try to get depth and occasionally hit on a good player in late rounds. Go and look at the picks from the 4th round and later in every draft and you will find that the large majority of the players are not NFL starters or are even on the team that drafted them.

    You say you would take the talented player without flaws but these players are rare past the 3rd round so I would say its worth the risk to take a chance on a guy who has shown the talent to be a good backup or starter sometime in the future.

  4. #19
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I wouldn't want Mathieu starting. I don't think any team drafts a 4th round pick expecting them to start. Teams try to get depth and occasionally hit on a good player in late rounds. Go and look at the picks from the 4th round and later in every draft and you will find that the large majority of the players are not NFL starters or are even on the team that drafted them.

    You say you would take the talented player without flaws but these players are rare past the 3rd round so I would say its worth the risk to take a chance on a guy who has shown the talent to be a good backup or starter sometime in the future.
    I meant to type character flaws. That's my bad.

    Also there are dozens of starters in the NFL taken in rounds 4 or later. I'm not expecting our fourth round pick to be a starter but I'm just saying there's some good talent in this draft and I'd rather take a talented player without character issues.

  5. #20
    citr92 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    he's so incredibly overrated it makes me mad, i wouldn't even consider it if he was the only defensive back in the draft, i'd put dunbar at safety before i'd consider him

    his off the field issues are ridiculous too

  6. #21
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    I'm fine with it if he is drafted or if the team considers him to be too small and have too many off the field issues. All I'm saying is good luck finding a player who has Mathieu's explosiveness, instincts, nose for the ball and intensity in the fourth round. He may be small and might not ever be a shutdown corner but he plays bigger than his height and it says something about him when he is the clear standout player on a college defense that is filled with first round talent. I would be very angry if the Rams took him in rounds 1-3 but I feel hes worth the risk after round 4.

  7. #22
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    All I'm saying is good luck finding a player who has Mathieu's explosiveness, instincts, nose for the ball and intensity in the fourth round.
    I don't give you are giving credit to how talented every player is in the NFL draft. There will be 3 or 4 different Dbs (drafted in rounds 4-7) with more talent than Mathieu currently has.

    Some people remember his nickname, and that he played for LSU, but he has never a serious big time talent at the NFL level.

  8. #23
    citr92 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    especially since he played at LSU, he stole an invite to the heisman over barkley who earned it last year

    and is only hyped by the media because he's from lsu....no other reason

    again, no

  9. #24
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    especially since he played at LSU, he stole an invite to the heisman over barkley who earned it last year

    and is only hyped by the media because he's from lsu....no other reason

    again, no
    I'm sure leading an undefeated team that had the number 2 defense in college football in tackles had nothing to do with his Heisman invite. I agree that Barkley should have been invited over him because a great QB for a high powered passing offense is always going to have more of an impact than any corner but inviting the best player on the best team in the nation(at the time) to Heisman night isn't farfetched or simply because of LSU media hype.

    Mathieu had a great nose for the football and made huge game changing plays every week. Whether or not he will be able to contribute at the pro level is questionable with his size and lack of elite straight line speed but I don't think its disputable that he was a great college player who made saturdays much more exciting and interesting.

  10. #25
    citr92 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rams take a chance on Safety Tyron Mathieu?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I'm sure leading an undefeated team that had the number 2 defense in college football in tackles had nothing to do with his Heisman invite. I agree that Barkley should have been invited over him because a great QB for a high powered passing offense is always going to have more of an impact than any corner but inviting the best player on the best team in the nation(at the time) to Heisman night isn't farfetched or simply because of LSU media hype.


    Mathieu had a great nose for the football and made huge game changing plays every week. Whether or not he will be able to contribute at the pro level is questionable with his size and lack of elite straight line speed but I don't think its disputable that he was a great college player who made saturdays much more exciting and interesting.
    not to mention the SEC doesn't have what you would call "high powered" offenses, SEC offenses are usually very lacking besides maybe a running back...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Bernie: 50% chance Dorsey, 25% chance Long
    By RamWraith in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: -04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
  2. With chance to win, Rams blow it again
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
  3. Rams' chance fades away
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
  4. Rams get their chance to home in
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-22-2005, 06:47 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -11-29-2004, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •