txramsfan is offline Registered User

Do we already have a C Long?

Isn't his name Carriker? The book on Chris Long is that he's great against the run but won't be that good as a pass rusher. I've read that several places and no I don't want to go fishing for a link at the moment because I have an 8:15 AM tax appointment coming in. Go look it up, most will say he isn't going to be that effective against the pass.

So, if that's the case...wouldn't Carriker be just as good at DE as Long? I mean, if the Rams NEED a pass rusher it's Gholston. If the Rams need to stop the run, I'm leaning towards Dorsey. So, why would we draft another Carriker clone in C Long who could project to be a DT also? Now, don't come to me with all these "tackle continuum vortex statistical triangulation of the 40 yard dash as compared to the 3 cone vs 5 cone vs 3-technique as equivalent to the 5 technique" stuff. Just tell me can he get to the QB with his strength against a NFL tackle.

Just thinking.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-11-2008 at 09:48 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do we already have a C Long?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Isn't his name Carriker?
    In a word, no.

Carriker has played weights between 290 and 315. He is best suited for the UT position. Long plays at around 270 and is best suited for the DE position.

The book on Chris Long is that he's great against the run but won't be that good as a pass rusher.
    Don't know what book you've been reading, but Long had 14 sacks last year. Sounds like a pretty good pass rusher to me.

I'm leaning towards Dorsey. So, why would we draft another Carriker clone in C Long who could project to be a DT also?
    Wow, that is way off base. I've never read any commentary about Long playing DT. He's more likely to play OLB than DT.

Just tell me can he get to the QB with his strength against a NFL tackle.
    Long runs the 40 in the 4.75 range. That is certainly quick enough to get around an OT and to the QB.

Maybe it's all this IRS stuff at the end of tax season that has my brain more scrambled than a husband waiting for his wife at the largest shoe sale event of the year.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

tx, what has confused you about Long's pass rushing is the often quoted comment from Devaney saying that playing against the run is Chris Long's forte.

Which is true, Long is better against the run then he is against the pass. Someones forte is the thing that they excel at, and Long excels as a run stuffer. But thats far from saying he is a bad pass rusher.

keith m. klink Guest

C'MON , TX , don't blame the wife's shoe sale for your happy thought's , we all know it's because you have been wearing her red pump's again and she took it out on your head . i've see it before ! SCARRY

Hey, let's not give BRM any ideas ok Klink?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Chris Long weighed in at about 266 at the combine and ran a 4.6 that just smells DE to me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would like to add that Long will use more then just speed to get to the QB. He will use technical moves, using his hands and arms too gain position.

If you really want to hit the quarterback, you've got to know a little bit about technique. Iím sure the Long's father and son have worked on technique.