Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Do we need a #1 receiver still with Danario?!

I was just thinking... do we need a true number one receiver still after seeing Danario Alexander explode?! Our WR would be Clayton,Alexander, Avery, Amendola, Gilyard, Gibson, Robinson....

I still hope we get AJ Green but i highly doubt it.. if we get in the top 10 pick i know we will get above top 5! hopefully patrick peterson.... AJ would be off the board so would Robert Quinn... I just think we have alot of receivers. In my opinion i think we should let go of Avery... he gets hurt every year he played. Robinson is injury prone.. Gibson no hands. Clayton, alexander, and amendola is the team ... i still love gilyard... but com on MAN you need to show us your talents ASAP!

let me know your thoughts guys !

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Do we need a #1 receiver still with Danario?!

As Bill Parcels would say "let's not get out the anointing oil just yet."

I don't think Danario's talent has been in question as much as his health. Let him get a few games under his belt, take some hits and keep on going before we adjust draft strategy.

That being said... I'm impressed with him.

If he keeps it up and stays healthy, if we resign a healthy Clayton, if we resign Amendola and if Gibson/Gilyard can continue to improve... then I would believe we may have more pressing needs at other positions. But that is a lot of ifs.

I'm honestly not that worried about Gilyard. He came in late, he had to learn to play multiple receiving positions and he is a rookie. I think too many fans are spoiled by DeSean Jackson type success stories. Some times it just takes time for a player to develop.

I'm not even plugging Avery into the equation yet. I have nothing but a gut feeling that tells me he won't be a Rams next year. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he returns healthy and challenges the other receivers.

Unless something major turns around I don't see Robinson sticking with us either.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I have a gut feeling that Avery will be on the team, and will turn into a huge play maker when he isn't the only wide receiver defenses have to worry about.

Next year Avery will show all the naysayers why he was picked ahead of Desean "hit me once in the head and I'm out" Jackson!

(OK, so that was a low blow, the dude got killed by Dunta Robinson, and considering our WR injuries, I really shouldn't be commenting on others)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I tend to agree with Rambunctious on this one. I posted this in another thread, so I'll repeat it here - I want to see not just Alexander but the rest of our receivers produce consistently on a week to week basis before I'm ready to remove WR from the list of priorities.

As you point out though, if the Rams keep winning, they'll probably find themselves too far down the draft board to take a shot on an A.J. Green, who right now appears to be a consensus Top 5-10 pick. Other receives could be available, but the Rams could use some upgrades in other places as well.

It's too early to start putting any position in stone at the top of the needs list, but I also think it's too early to start removing them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I'm not even plugging Avery into the equation yet. I have nothing but a gut feeling that tells me he won't be a Rams next year. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he returns healthy and challenges the other receivers.
    One thing to consider about Avery is that his starting position on the team - the flanker spot - was immediately filled by Mark Clayton whenever he was traded to the Rams. So if Clayton gets resigned as the flanker, where does Avery fit? Does he back-up Clayton as the flanker? Do you try to move him to split end, where he may be more likely to face a jam on the line of scrimmage?

A lot is going to depend on how the current group finishes this year. You've got Gibson and Robinson at split end, Clayton and Avery and probably Alexander at flanker, and Amendola and Gilyard working in the slot. That's seven receivers on a team that sometimes doesn't even carry five on game days. It's going to be interesting to see where the Rams elect to go with this one.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well to answer your question: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, & Yes

Any QB needs weapons, and currently we do not have enough on offense. You said that he "exploded"....but I don't see a 4 catch, 72 yard day an "explosion" by any means. I still believe that alot of his TD catch had to do w/ the defense not respecting him due to his injury issues thus they didn't think he would beat the defense deep; that being said the Chargers adjusted and he was held in check for the rest of the game & that was against mediocre talent & not some of the better CB play he will face down the road.

Although it looks as if we are going to miss out on the A.J. Green sweepstakes, we should still be in position to draft Jonathan Baldwin & I say we go for it although OLB and DT is a tempting option as well.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -10-20-2010 at 07:30 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I tend to agree with Rambunctious on this one. I posted this in another thread, so I'll repeat it here - I want to see not just Alexander but the rest of our receivers produce consistently on a week to week basis before I'm ready to remove WR from the list of priorities.

As you point out though, if the Rams keep winning, they'll probably find themselves too far down the draft board to take a shot on an A.J. Green, who right now appears to be a consensus Top 5-10 pick. Other receives could be available, but the Rams could use some upgrades in other places as well.

It's too early to start putting any position in stone at the top of the needs list, but I also think it's too early to start removing them too.

One thing to consider about Avery is that his starting position on the team - the flanker spot - was immediately filled by Mark Clayton whenever he was traded to the Rams. So if Clayton gets resigned as the flanker, where does Avery fit? Does he back-up Clayton as the flanker? Do you try to move him to split end, where he may be more likely to face a jam on the line of scrimmage?

A lot is going to depend on how the current group finishes this year. You've got Gibson and Robinson at split end, Clayton and Avery and probably Alexander at flanker, and Amendola and Gilyard working in the slot. That's seven receivers on a team that sometimes doesn't even carry five on game days. It's going to be interesting to see where the Rams elect to go with this one.

I think the starting line-up as:

Split-end: Clayton
    Flanker: Alexander
    Slot: Avery

I think this would be most ideal. Avery can take full advantage of his speed by stretching the middle of the field with quick slant routes and such.

Since Clayton looks better at releasing at the line of scrimmage against the jam than Alexander, Clayton would be the split end.

The back-ups could be:

Split-end: Gibson
    Flanker: Gilyard
    Slot: Amendola

I think we may run more 4 wide out plays with Avery back, so we can get Amendola on the field.

This is what I'm talking about!! We have a nice line up now so do you think we will draft a wide receiver in the first round???

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I think the starting line-up as:

Split-end: Clayton
    Flanker: Alexander
    Slot: Avery

I think this would be most ideal. Avery can take full advantage of his speed by stretching the middle of the field with quick slant routes and such.

Since Clayton looks better at releasing at the line of scrimmage against the jam than Alexander, Clayton would be the split end.

The back-ups could be:

Split-end: Gibson
    Flanker: Gilyard
    Slot: Amendola

I think we may run more 4 wide out plays with Avery back, so we can get Amendola on the field.
    That line-up would depend mostly on (1) Clayton's ability to be productive in this offense at split end rather than the flanker spot he took over and found success playing, and (2) Alexander's ability to develop into a starting-caliber wide receiver, which is a big question mark. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season if this is a viable line-up, as we watch how guys like Gibson, Gilyard, and Alexander progress.

One important thing to consider about the consistently good teams in the NFL is they often times aren't afraid to upgrade a position of strength if the opportunity presents itself. Having Marvin Harrison didn't stop the Colts from adding Reggie Wayne, and having both of those two didn't stop them from adding Anthony Gonzalez. The Patriots and Tom Brady won Super Bowl rings without top flight receivers, but still went out and acquired Moss and Welker.

The Rams are playing well now, but have a number of areas that could use a talent boost. Receiver is one of them, but there are certainly others (for instance, OG, TE, DT, DE, OLB, SS). Which direction they decide to go is will depend on multiple factors; in terms of the draft, pick position and available talent will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    This is what I'm talking about!! We have a nice line up now so do you think we will draft a wide receiver in the first round???
    See earlier responses - there's simply no way to say we should or shouldn't definitively at this point.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That line-up would depend mostly on (1) Clayton's ability to be productive in this offense at split end rather than the flanker spot he took over and found success playing, and (2) Alexander's ability to develop into a starting-caliber wide receiver, which is a big question mark. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season if this is a viable line-up, as we watch how guys like Gibson, Gilyard, and Alexander progress.

One important thing to consider about the consistently good teams in the NFL is they often times aren't afraid to upgrade a position of strength if the opportunity presents itself. Having Marvin Harrison didn't stop the Colts from adding Reggie Wayne, and having both of those two didn't stop them from adding Anthony Gonzalez. The Patriots and Tom Brady won Super Bowl rings without top flight receivers, but still went out and acquired Moss and Welker.

The Rams are playing well now, but have a number of areas that could use a talent boost. Receiver is one of them, but there are certainly others (for instance, OG, TE, DT, DE, OLB, SS). Which direction they decide to go is will depend on multiple factors; in terms of the draft, pick position and available talent will be huge.
    I would love to have the opportunity to draft Green or Jones, but if they are gone, a good DT or OLB would be very beneficial too.

And yes, pick position and available talent will be HUGE factors on Draft Day.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Got to wait and see how these guys are at the end of the year. There are always players coming out of nowhere (at any position; rookies and veterans) who will have an amazing game, maybe even an outstanding streak, but then disappear. Just look at Drew Bennett with the Titans, he put together one of the best streak of games in NFL history... and we all know what happened there and how he was here...

If these guys are still playing well at the end of the year than I'd be all for looking at other options. Alexaner, Avery, and Clayton COULD be a fantastic trio of WRs for us, but we must let the season play out first.

i hope we get a good DE.... a SS would be nice or a lockdown corner.. but WR is the best we should go get !

npow81 is offline Registered User

As always I think our pick will depend on the pick we have and the value present there. As you will see to the left I might be a fan of a certain college football team, and we may have a certain two WRs (and I swear this isn't bias talking) that will be studs in Austin Pettis and Titus Young. Both provide a little something different (Young more speed, Pettis more possession) but either for a second rounder or possibly a third depending on how the scouts rank them would be a steal, no matter the present players on our roster.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think absolutely, yes. As Nick said, we've got a good group of wide receivers, but no true starting split end. Maybe Gibson, maybe Robinson, but no true starter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think one of the biggest facotrs will actually be durability. if you take a look at our wr's,our 2 #1's have already gone out for the season and there replacement has had 4 knee surgeries and every game he doesnt get injured will be a godsend, at least for the rest of this year. robinson has been plagued with injuries his whole nfl career as well, and havent we had wr's with hamstring issues also? And its not like it has happened just once, these guys continuasly get hurt. giyard hasnt learned the playbook yet but ima give him till next year before i start questioning him. Amendolla has just been awesome, nothing to say about him. Gibson shows his flashes, but is it enough?

but also might be diffrent if we start with this core fresh at beggining of season. defences will have to worry about all of them, not just one or two. so people wont be target and double teamed as much.

i for one, think we should get green if we have the chance, but depends on what spags and devaney think, they get to see it all more then us and can tell better, but from what ive seen, we should get green if the oppurtinity comes.

bikearch is offline Registered User

I would go with a blazing tight end nothing creates more coverage mismatchs than your big guy who can burn and run after the catch.

A burner wide out would be my second pick.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast