View Poll Results: If we select an OT in the first round what will we take in the 2nd round?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • a Linebacker

17 50.00%
  • A Saftey

6 17.65%
  • A Defensive Tackle

1 2.94%
  • Another O-lineman

7 20.59%
  • Other

3 8.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

Do you think the Rams will take 2 O-linemen with there 1st 2 picks of the draft?

With the 2nd Pick in the 2009 NFL draft the St. Louis Rams Select:

Eugene Monroe OT (is taller than Andre Smith and less obiese)

If the Rams do select an OT like monroe or Oher (please not Smith that guy will have to convert to Guard with his wieght) do u see the Rams selection Alex Mack G/C or Max Unger C in the second round?

This will get us 2 good OL for many years and next year our line could look like this

LT- Pace
    LG- Bell
    C- Unger or Mack
    RG- A FA (not incognitto)
    RT- Eugene Monroe

It looks pretty good with one hole (RG) and if Pace is injured Alex Barron could come in. Maybe some bench time will motivate him.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Re: Do you think the Rams will take 2 O-linemen with there 1st 2 picks of the draft?

I don't see us taking anyone but Andre Smith. Sorry, but he is way too talented to pass on. One basic fact you can look at is this;

Weight can be put on, and weight can be taken off. But skill is something that is unique to a person. They might be less "heavy set" than Andre, but they're not better. Plus, he's not a receiver or ball carrier, weight could be a definite benefit to an O-Line player. We need a anchor on that line now that Pace is basically a passive failure.

And as a second pick in the draft, I don't think Spag will allow it to focus on one specific need or the other. I think he is going to look at just retooling everything with small tweaks, and then reinforcing the team as an entire unit. I think with the aging, and beginning to become...futile passing offense that we have, that we need to be finding a WR with a combination of height and speed. I would love it if the Rams would find a way to trade up in the draft, and grab Crabtree. I know everyone might call that dumb or impossible, but look at it this way.

What is there to lose in that move? Trade your second round and next year's first round for another foot in this years draft. Get one of the best universal soldiers in this year's draft, and go into this season FULL BORE with a good receiving core, running back, and reinforced line. The defense itself should benefit from The Spag being at the helm. He should bring a level of education and motivation to the defense that cannot be brought by an athelete. Within the first two picks then, you have strengthened all aspects of the game. If we pick up Crabtree, as a plus, we could then possibly get Avery in on the return game like was originally intended.

I think this is a smart move for more reasons than that too. At a certain point this past season, I was almost glad that if we were going down in flames, we were crashing hard. Like 2007, as the season dwindled, I was thinking about the unique talent we could pull in with that draft pick. If we don't have a round 1 pick going into 2009, we have NOTHING to settle for, and everything to fight for. With how the Rams have been playing, I think our 1st Round Pick in 2010 would be a hot commodity. If we go out there roaring and play our best game, we could turn that pick into a mid-late round pick, shock the NFL, and get the best deal for the money.

Let me know your opinions on this draft move, and really consider having nothing to settle for but everything to win.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Do you think the Rams will take 2 O-linemen with there 1st 2 picks of the draft?

We have to address the MLB ether with FA or draft and if we use the draft we need to do it early.
    :ramlogo:

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Weight can be put on, and weight can be taken off. But skill is something that is unique to a person.

True. But then that means Smith's average pass blocking is also unique to him only. He is a dominant run blocker, but against speed rushers, he's going to get burned.

Now look at our tackle needs. We need a tackle that can be a good run blocker, but is also solid against the pass. That would be either Oher, or Monroe.

If we were going to take another lineman in round 2, I would like for us to get Herman Johnson (G). I would rather take Romberg as center, and Johnson as right guard, than Mack or Unger at center, and unreliable Incognito at RG.

Herman Johnson along with either Oher or Monroe would anchor our right side, and Pace and Bell/Greco at our left side. With Johnson in at guard, and maybe Greco at the other guard position, it would take a lot of pressure off our center, Brett Romberg. You have to remember, Greco is a big guy, and Herman Johnson is just plain HUGE.

Safety would be a good choice too. But with the hiring of Spags, picking a safety in the second round seems more unlikely since Spags could probably bring in James Butler from New York. So if we do get Butler, that would be good. If we don't we should look at Patrick Chung from Oregon.

I guess Kenny Britt would be a good choice here too, (there you go Richtree). Britt is very physical, and has great size and nice speed too.

For linebackers, we could look at Clint Sintim, Brian Cushing, Scott Mckillop, Brandon Spikes.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    LT- Pace
    LG- Bell
    C- Unger or Mack
    RT- Eugene Monroe
    After Watching Alex Mack's performance in the Senior Bowl he might be selected in the 1st round. He'd be a solid pick for us in the 2nd round. Also, Michael Oher looks out of the question for the Top OT in the draft. He still shows signs of inconsistency. RG can be filled by Greco, who showed promise in the end of the season.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think we can get a safety in FA because there are alot out there, but we could also look at William Moore or Patrick Chung at SS. I think we should also go after a run stuffer who would come as cheap depth or possibly start like Collin Cole of the Packers.

With that said I think we have to Center. Unger and Mack are 2 elite prospects they were the only guys who could handle the beast Rajii. If we have a leader like one of those 2 in the middle Grecco and Bell would play much better like Bell next to Kevin Mawae. LB is a position where teams can find starters easy as long as they fit the system. I think Cushing and Sintim will be gone anyways and they are more outside than inside guys. We could get a great value in the third like Scott McKillop, Tyronne Mckenzie, or Marcus Freeman

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I dont think we should take an OT in the first two rounds. I would prefer to try to trade down and address MLB round 1 and NT or C in round 2. If we are able to pick up an extra second by trading down then I would address both NT and C. Round 3 is where I would like to get our OT.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    With that said I think we have to Center. Unger and Mack are 2 elite prospects they were the only guys who could handle the beast Rajii.
    Unger could not handle Raji, only Alex Mack could. Unger's value has slipped dramatically because he showed a lack of strength at the senior bowl.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    Unger could not handle Raji, only Alex Mack could. Unger's value has slipped dramatically because he showed a lack of strength at the senior bowl.
    What games and practices where you watching. Anyone not named Unger or Mack was torn up consistently by Raji. Not saying Raji didn't win some of his match ups a against him, but Unger definately put in work against that beast. Read some of Scott Wrights senior Bowl evaluations if you don't take my word for it.

RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    What games and practices where you watching. Anyone not named Unger or Mack was torn up consistently by Raji. Not saying Raji didn't win some of his match ups a against him, but Unger definately put in work against that beast. Read some of Scott Wrights senior Bowl evaluations if you don't take my word for it.
    Exactly right one game doesnt drop your value like that, wake up!

Mack or Unger with our second round selection to build up our pourous
    O-Line would be absolutely magnificent!!!!!!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hard to predict now, but after we grab whatever we can afford in free agency, it should be easier to venture a guess ..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmm. If Mack or Unger are there in round two, we HAVE to get them. It would be stupid to pass up on either of these guys.

That said, if they are not available, the answer is SS or MLB. Whichever the best player available is, we have to get them. If its a SS then get him, if its a MLB get him. We need to draft on need. Obviously, these are two great needs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Eugene Monroe OT (is taller than Andre Smith and less obiese)

If the Rams do select an OT like monroe or Oher (please not Smith that guy will have to convert to Guard with his wieght) do u see the Rams selection Alex Mack G/C or Max Unger C in the second round?

This will get us 2 good OL for many years and next year our line could look like this

LT- Pace
    LG- Bell
    C- Unger or Mack
    RT- Eugene Monroe

It looks pretty good with one hole (RG) and if Pace is injured Alex Barron could come in. Maybe some bench time will motivate him.
    Good thread, nutzy. Let me add my 2 cents worth.

1.) At this point in the process I agree with your assessment of Eugene Monroe having less risk than Andre Smih.

2.) I definitely have Incognito back as the starter at RG. He fits both Devaney and Spags new criterion for a Rams player: He's both big and very intense. I believe Spags will get Richie's tendency for foolish penalties under control.

3.) The odd man out as I see it right now is Jacob Bell. I mean how does a 285 lb. guard fit the criteria stated numerous times by Devaney of getting bigger? Plus factor in that we are pretty much assured that Spags will want to operate with a power-based run attack and I don't see where Mr. Bell fits in at this time.

4.) Therefore my projected O-line is:
    LT- Pace
    LG- Greco
    C- Mack (or M.Birk)
    RG- Incognito
    RT- Monroe

Well that's it for now.

WHAT SAY YE?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

1.) At this point in the process I agree with your assessment of Eugene Monroe having less risk than Andre Smih.

2.) I definitely have Incognito back as the starter at RG. He fits both Devaney and Spags new criterion for a Rams player: He's both big and very intense. I believe Spags will get Richie's tendency for foolish penalties under control.

3.) The odd man out as I see it right now is Jacob Bell. I mean how does a 285 lb. guard fit the criteria stated numerous times by Devaney of getting bigger? Plus factor in that we are pretty much assured that Spags will want to operate with a power-based run attack and I don't see where Mr. Bell fits in at this time.

LT- Pace
    LG- Greco
    C- Mack (or M.Birk)
    RG- Incognito
    RT- Monroe

Well that's it for now.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I'm pretty sure that Bell will try to beef up this off-season. His dad was on here a while back saying that Jacob was already trying to get bigger.

I would rather have Bell man the left side, and Greco the right side, because I believe that both of them are better than Incognito.

If he doesn't buff up, he can come down here and introduce himself to some texas barbecue.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

LT- Pace
    LG- Greco
    C- Mack (or M.Birk)
    RG- Incognito
    RT- Monroe

Well that's it for now.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1st: Dont ever call me nutzy

2nd: stop saying "What say ye?"

3rd: Devaney and Spags criteria is bigger and more physical

4th: If Bell doesnt fit than how doesnt Barron. Barron is big and Physical. What im trying to say is we are not going to bench Bell if we do then why wont we start Barron? u say start incognito he makes the same mental mistkes barron does but since he is big and more intense (vs. ram fans) he should start? Thats a horrible idea. I rather stick the Rams horns up my own ass before starting incognito

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast