Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Do you think WRs will drop like in 08's draft?

Last year most mock drafts had 3-4 WRs going in the 1st round (Devin Thomas, Limas Weed, James Hardy, Desean Jackson) However none went in the 1st also none were the 1st WR taken.

This year many are projecting 4-5 WRs to go in the 1st. Micheal Crabtree and Jeremy Macklin are the only sure-fire 1st rounders. DHB, Kenny Britt, and Percy Harvin are also projected to be 1st rounders however i think this year all 3 will drop to the 2nd and plenty of defensive players will go at the bottom of the 1st (bye bye James Lauriniatis). I think most teams are realizing that WR is an easy spot to fill and they can wait till later rounds.

(IMO Macklin drops to the Vikings #22 or Ravens at #26)

Where do you stand on this? Do you think WRs will take a hit like last year? IF Darius Heyward-Bey fell to #35 do you think Billy D will pull the trigger?

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Do you think WRs will drop like in 08's draft?

This year will be different for 3 reasons

#1 -- WR is a bigger need for many teams with many great recievers hitting the twilight of their career: (holt, harrison, owens saga, bruce, J.walker, Galloway, Engrem, Toomer, Plaxico, Driver)

** for one reason or another alot of the above players can't be coun't on any longer.

#2 -- AZ CARDS in Super Bowl -- It became the year of the WR last year with budding stars in Boldin and Fitzgerald. Every team wants to have the next Larry Fitz or High Powered offense to turn the team around.

#3 -- Weak QB's and RB's in this years draft -- With Stafford and Sanchez surefire first round picks and with Rb's Wells and Moreno it could be a year where RB's slip. Wells doesn't look great and Moreno isn't climbing up boards either.

If you had the 23rd pick and could get one of these WR's or Wells, I think this year more teams will go with the WR talent.

JMO - of course but look for 7 or mabye 8 WR's off the board before 8 RB's and QB's combined.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    This year will be different for 3 reasons

#1 -- WR is a bigger need for many teams with many great recievers hitting the twilight of their career: (holt, harrison, owens saga, bruce, J.walker, Galloway, Engrem, Toomer, Plaxico, Driver)

** for one reason or another alot of the above players can't be coun't on any longer.
    Well teams can look at those FA WRs when they go into the draft as a Plan B. If they dont get the reciver that they want they can sign one of them to a 1 yr. fill in.

#2 -- AZ CARDS in Super Bowl -- It became the year of the WR last year with budding stars in Boldin and Fitzgerald. Every team wants to have the next Larry Fitz or High Powered offense to turn the team around.
    Other than Crabtree there is no other FItz in the draft and Crabtree will go in the top 10. Yeah tha Cards were in the Superbowl but who won the Superbowl? Also did the Cards offense get them to the Superbowl? I mean your forgetting how good the Cards D played in the playoffs. Year of the Wrs? wat are talking about? no WR had 1600 recieving yards and only 3 WRs had over 100 receptions (non in the NFC). But we did see 2nd round WR transition well.

#3 -- Weak QB's and RB's in this years draft -- With Stafford and Sanchez surefire first round picks and with Rb's Wells and Moreno it could be a year where RB's slip. Wells doesn't look great and Moreno isn't climbing up boards either.
    Well overall this a weak draft class. Also i agree with RBs slipping i see Wells and Moreno both at the bottom of the 1st.

If you had the 23rd pick and could get one of these WR's or Wells, I think this year more teams will go with the WR talent.

JMO - of course but look for 7 or mabye 8 WR's off the board before 8 RB's and QB's combined.

cheers
    Well i already know many teams dont need a RB so i would take a WR over Wells. But i wouldn't take one of those WRs over all the defensive studs.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think we'll have a repeat of last year. I think Crabtree, Maclin, and Heyward-Bey go in the first round. Harvin probably slips to the second round IMO because of injury concerns and concerns about whether he has a true position at the next level.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robiskie or Britt go a bit higher than expected, but right now I have both of them in the second round. I don't think Hakeem Nicks has done enough to secure a first round spot.

That said, many of the late first round teams like Minnesota, New England, Miami, Baltimore, Indy, or Tennessee could conceivably go receiver. So it wouldn't be a shock if a fourth or fifth guy snuck into the bottom of the first. We really won't know until draft day; as you said, few people predicted that there wouldn't be a receiver in the first in '08.

I'll bet you anything you want to bet at least 4 WR's go in round one.

Wanna bet tuff guy ?
    lol u sound really tuff calling me out on a forum on the internet.

But it aint about that. This is an opinionated forum about your opinion and you did a good job and gave your opinion. Then i countered with my thoughts on your opinion.

Then you want to make a bet with someone over the internet? lol i would like to use a few choice words but i cant because i will respect the clanram rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think we'll have a repeat of last year. I think Crabtree, Maclin, and Heyward-Bey go in the first round. Harvin probably slips to the second round IMO because of injury concerns and concerns about whether he has a true position at the next level.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robiskie or Britt go a bit higher than expected, but right now I have both of them in the second round. I don't think Hakeem Nicks has done enough to secure a first round spot.

That said, many of the late first round teams like Minnesota, New England, Miami, Baltimore, Indy, or Tennessee could conceivably go receiver. So it wouldn't be a shock if a fourth or fifth guy snuck into the bottom of the first. We really won't know until draft day; as you said, few people predicted that there wouldn't be a receiver in the first in '08.
    DHB use to be a lock for me at #18 to the bears. But now that the broncos got that pick he is dropping for me.

Also i emailed walter football (the guy who joke about every owner and coach) asking him about what receivers he thinks will be there for the Rams and he e-mailed back saying last year teams waited till the 2nd round to pick WRs and it turned out well for them so this year teams might take the same approach and 6-8 WR might be selected in the 2nd. His mock draft has DHB going to the Raiders in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    DHB use to be a lock for me at #18 to the bears. But now that the broncos got that pick he is dropping for me.
    I think he's a possibility to the Jets a pick before that as well, but even if he doesn't go there, there are still a couple of first round destinations for him if he slips. He could fall into the second round, but right now my money would be on him staying in the first. I have a hard time seeing Baltimore pass on him with their pick, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think he's a possibility to the Jets a pick before that as well, but even if he doesn't go there, there are still a couple of first round destinations for him if he slips. He could fall into the second round, but right now my money would be on him staying in the first. I have a hard time seeing Baltimore pass on him with their pick, for instance.
    yea but what if baltimore had the choice of DHB or James Laurinaitis (Bart Scott's replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    yea but what if baltimore had the choice of DHB or James Laurinaitis (Bart Scott's replacement)
    The Ravens have a bigger need at receiver than they do at linebacker. My understanding is that they like what they have with 2008 third-round pick Tavares Gooden and view him as a guy who can step into the starting line-up where Scott played. Meanwhile they really don't have much of anything at receiver, where Mason is at best a borderline #1 and neither Clayton nor Williams have developed into reliable productive options.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't think the WR position will drop like last year. The WR's I see going in the 1st round.
    1 Crabtree
    2 Maclin
    3 Heyward-Bey
    4 Britt.

shower beers is online now Registered User

It's tough to ignore the copycat personality of the league in this instance, and if I had a wager, I would have to say that 3 WRs at the most get taken in the first round, because of that fact. I wouldn't even be surprised if just Crabtree and Maclin were selected.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I think Hakeem Nicks is going to turn out to be the best wr in the draft. I just think he is smooth and effortless with his recieving skills,but of course im no expert. I really like him and hope he falls to us in the second round. Unfortunately because I think we made a mistake letting Pace go we are forced to draft a OT now which means we may not get a wr untill the 3rd round. We created a hole by letting Pace go so we could fill it in the draft, I still dont understand. Sure we cleared up 6 million but now we have to draft an OT with our first or second pick. More than likely our first pick. Now we lose out on Curry and we lose out on the top notch wr's as well. Probably have to pick OT 1st and LB second.
    Just Fix It

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I think Hakeem Nicks is going to turn out to be the best wr in the draft. I just think he is smooth and effortless with his recieving skills,but of course im no expert. I really like him and hope he falls to us in the second round. Unfortunately because I think we made a mistake letting Pace go we are forced to draft a OT now which means we may not get a wr untill the 3rd round. We created a hole by letting Pace go so we could fill it in the draft, I still dont understand. Sure we cleared up 6 million but now we have to draft an OT with our first or second pick. More than likely our first pick. Now we lose out on Curry and we lose out on the top notch wr's as well. Probably have to pick OT 1st and LB second.

Agreed. When we released Pace, our need for an OT skyrocketed. When Pace was still here, our need for an OT was mainly for a guy that could be developed over time into a starter and replace Pace, but now, we have to find a guy that can immediately start, which we will probably have to find in the first round.

However, we can still draft a receiver in the second round. I really don't agree with the whole second round pick to be a linebacker. IMO, there aren't any linebackers I would consider taking in the second round. The third round is a more likeable place to start looking for linebackers this year.

So something like this:

Jason Smith / Eugene Monroe
    Hakeem Nicks / Kenny Britt
    Jaspar Brinkley / (or even wait till a lower round and pick Mckillop or Frantz Joseph.)

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Do you think WRs will drop like in 08's draft?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

So something like this:

Jason Smith / Eugene Monroe
    Hakeem Nicks / Kenny Britt
    Jaspar Brinkley / (or even wait till a lower round and pick Mckillop or Frantz Joseph.)
    I could live with something like that

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    All signs are pointing to Nicks being a 2nd rounder but i dont think he will be the best WR because if Crabtree can get on a team with a WCO he will dominate.

The Pace cutting was a good move because we are not a good team and we cant just hold onto veterans who are slowing down and getting payed so much. The move had to be done. Also getting rid of Pace does not mean WR till the 3rd it just means we have a hole to fill. Anyway you look at it Pace had a bad season and we needed to move we cannot count on his health with a new regime its time for change. lol Barrack Obama would say "Yes We Can" right here.

We could always got Monroe, Nicks then address MLB later or stick with Chris Draft cuz Draft had a great season with Fajole as his LB coach in Carolina.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast