HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Does Bennett out, Holt out (maybe) = Crabtree in?

Drew Bennett. OUT
    Torry Holt. (Might soon be) OUT

Does this automatically point to Crabtree......IN?

Some have jumped directly to that conclusion. I disagree. Much like some politician like to use the phrase "pre-9/11 mindset". I think some of us have refused to accept a "post-GSOT mindset". We have walked so far down the paths of Bruce Boulevard and Holt Highway that we don't know how to get back. We believe an offense means HOF receivers coupled with a QB with Wild Bill Hickok like accuracy and a Spock mind-meld between them all that results in perfectly timed routes in needle holes through defenses.

But guys and gals, those were the old days. This is the Shurmur Show. He did not cut his teeth on the GSOT. He is a Philly Coast Offense guy. And what exactly does that mean? Historically, it has meant that HOF receivers are not needed to put points on the board. Let's take a look......

From 1999-2008 (Shurmur's years w/ the Eagles), 8 different receivers led the team in receiving. Only Pinkston ('02-'03) and Owens ('04-'05) led the team more than once. The others? Torrance Small, Chad Lewis, James Thrash, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, DeSean Jackson.

But HUb, each of those guys had huge years when they did lead the team though, right?

No, actually the Eagles have only had two 1,000-yard receivers in the past 10 years.....Curtis in '07, and Owens in '04.

Yea, but they live on their defense. Their offense can't put points on the board with those receivers!

Actually, they've had a top-12 scoring offense in 7 of those 10 years; and a top-10 scoring offense in 5 of those 10 years.

So without top tier WRs, how did the Eagles get the ball down the field?

Well, I'm glad you asked. It's not that the Eagles threw the ball less than other teams. In fact, only Manning and Favre have heaved more pigskins than McNabb during that time span. But instead, when the Eagles ask the question "who's gonna catch the ball", they look much farther than their WR corp. With them, EVERYBODY gets in on the act. It's not out of the ordinary for the top 3 receivers to be a WR, a RB, & a TE. Or for the top 5 receivers to be a TE, a RB, a FB, and 2 WRs.

We have to get past the idea that WR1 and WR2 bear the load in the passing game. This OC cut his teeth on the idea that a receiving corp includes every player not wearing a jersey in the 50s, 60s, or 70s.

So does getting rid of Bennett and Holt necessitate a 1st round selection of Crabtree? Absolutely not.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Does Bennett out, Holt out (maybe) = Crabtree in?

The odd thing with the EAGLES is that they don't and haven't had any big name receivers for years...except..T.O.. Strangely enough when they had T.O. they made it to the Superbowl despite T.O.'s injury.

The interesting thing to me is that Shurmur's offenses have been successful through the air without that true number 1 WR. Seems like Bulger, Jackson, McMichael and the rest are going to be a very good fit for Shurmurs approach to offense. I could see Jackson having an outstanding season both on the ground and in the receiving category in this offense. Providing he stays healthy.
    Last edited by laram0; -02-26-2009 at 11:55 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'll say this, if the O line doesn't protect whoever the QB is we could have a stable of WR's and it wouldn't matter. One more thing, Brian Westbrook is a HUGE factor in the passing game for the Eagles.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -02-26-2009 at 12:24 PM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Yeah the Eagles have also had one of the most consistent offensive lines for the past ten years as well. I think Jackson has shown the ability to be just as much of an impact as Westbrook in the running game AND the passing game. We just need to get a little more creative than the flairs and flat routes we throw to him all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Yeah the Eagles have also had one of the most consistent offensive lines for the past ten years as well. I think Jackson has shown the ability to be just as much of an impact as Westbrook in the running game AND the passing game. We just need to get a little more creative than the flairs and flat routes we throw to him all the time.
    The switch from the wide open aerial act to the WCO will make the O-line look better over night. Those quick hits and hot routes will take a lot of pressure off the line to hold as long as they have been asked to for the past decade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Well I'll be a bit of a(n) Hole-A here say even if we don't get rid of Holt it shouldn't automatically mean that we look away from Crabtree. If nothing else, keeping Holt and drafting Crabtree could signal a few things. We'd essentially be "testing" Bulger this yr to see how much longer he should stick around. He has the contract now, we also have to keep in mind how many great/good quarterbacks are going to be coming out in next years draft. If we are ever going to draft a QB in the near future, next yr should definitely be the yr, barring that we are in a draft position to do so. If Bulger does manage to prove his worth...meaning he needs more time, like it was said earlier, switching to the WCO should make our line better. Also by drafting a WR like Crabtree that tends to get open quickly Bulger should be getting rid of the ball quicker. If that is done, next yr we can definitely look at taking the most dominate defensive player available or continue to shore up the line with the 1st round pick, assuming of course that our 2nd round pick this yr will have been at least one move already made. The teams is pretty much in dissary and it needs to figure out what direction it is going to go, and a big question that has to be asked...how much longer is Bulger the QB for the Rams. Either way, keeping or releasing Holt...drafting Crabtree should always be an option, and a rather big one at that.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I am posting in a Michael Crabtree thread.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Wrong.
    I'm still standing behind my, (if-the-rams-draft-crabtree-i-will-boycott-this-season) motto.
    aka
    itrdciwbts
    bad acronym for a bad idea (drafting crabtree)

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

yeah but i want the rams to win superbowls, not lose in the nfc championship ever year.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I Hope not. IT's harder to find a LT than a WR.
    Take J. Smith or E. Monroe with 2nd pick in draft.
    Then take Robiskie or Britt in the 2nd round if you think that is the biggest priority. If not Barden possibly in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Wrong.
    What exactly is wrong? My premise that the departure of Bennett/Holt does not necessitate drafting of Crabtree?

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

No Bennett was a bad choice from the git-go, lets get something for Holt while we can. He's served us well, lets send him some place where he has another chance at a ring. This doesn't mean we draft Maclin or Crabtree, just free's up more cap for the team to use.
    Last edited by tonyray05; -02-27-2009 at 04:24 AM.