Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rob6465 is offline Registered User

Re: Does Colt stand a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Everyone seems to be focusing on Bradford at quarterback. Have we all forgotten about Colt? I think his pro day work out is going to be very important for him. If he shows that his shoulder is fine and he can make all the throws, he could be a legitimate contender. I could definitely see us drafting him at the top of the 2nd, while taking Suh with the first overall. That way we could solve two problems at once.

I am interested in Colt, because I don't see how Bradford will be a fit for this system. We are a west coast team, which focuses on short effective and accurate throws. Will we air the ball out once and a while? Of course. Bradford just seems like a better fit for a team that will air it out more. And if you watch the Colt McCoy video on nfl.com talking about his pre-draft work out, he talks about how his first two years in college he played under center. I think he would be the best quarterback in the draft for us.
    I agree with you. We need to draft Suh and colt in 2nd rd.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    I agree with you. We need to draft Suh and colt in 2nd rd.
    I dislike Colt, and feel he doesn't have the arm strength for the NFL, but lets say we pick Suh, with the intent of taking Colt in the 2nd. Then he is picked up at the end of the first? Then what? Do we reach in the 2nd? or do we hope that our 3rd choice at QB (thats what he would be at this point) is there in the 3rd.

TakeSuh is offline Registered User

Suh and mccoy on the same team? lol cant wait to see what a full contact scrimmage would be like (big twelve championship game)

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Honestly I'd rather draft SUH then McCoy in the second hopefully! But don't see where you think Bradofrd isn't a fit for us? He's a perfect fit just like I think McCoy would be
    I think Bradford is more of a deep threat quarterback. We are mainly a short to medium range team. The deep ball isn't a big play in our playbook.

As for the person that said he won't get past Minnesota, I see them as more of a deep threat team. Which is why I think Brett was so successful up there.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    I dislike Colt, and feel he doesn't have the arm strength for the NFL, but lets say we pick Suh, with the intent of taking Colt in the 2nd. Then he is picked up at the end of the first? Then what? Do we reach in the 2nd? or do we hope that our 3rd choice at QB (thats what he would be at this point) is there in the 3rd.
    I'm sure the rams will see this too. But whatever their choice will be in the first, it wont be contingent on whether or not Colt McCoy will be there in the 2nd. If he is there, fine. If he's not, I don't think they will loose any sleep over it. We'll just have to take a QB next year.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I'm sure the rams will see this too. But whatever their choice will be in the first, it wont be contingent on whether or not Colt McCoy will be there in the 2nd. If he is there, fine. If he's not, I don't think they will loose any sleep over it. We'll just have to take a QB next year.
    Oh i totally agree with you, I'm just saying that some people make it sound like its a lock that he will be there at the top of the second.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

After watching Mike Mayock's report from Austin, I am being pulled back towards my original plan:

1. Suh
    2. BQBA......which would be McCoy

From the reports I've read and heard so far, it appears that Bradford is the superior passer past the intermediate routes. However, from intermediate in these two kids are very similar QBs. Is McCoy going to be more system limited than Bradford in the NFL? Yes, he will. However, does McCoy's system limitations fit quite well with the Rams system? Yes! Yes, they do.

I still would consider Bradford an outstanding selection for the Rams. But I'd be lying if I said I thought Bradford/BPA gave us more value than Suh/C.McCoy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Perhaps as a means of preemptively addressing that, the Rams start working the phones as teams in the 20s get on the clock, hoping to strike some kind of a trade-up deal that doesn't involve 2011's first round pick (though it may have to).

Personally, I think a Suh/McCoy two-round result is pretty good for this team. I think the chances of McCoy being there in the second round are probably better than an impact DL, as I expect a run on them in the first.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

One of the reasons I favor taking Bradford is that I am concerned that waiting until Round 2 to take a QB would be a big risk.

If I knew the Rams could come away with Suh/C.McCoy, I'd be fine with that plan. But what if McCoy is taken late in the first round? Suh/LeFevour? Not certain that's the best way to go.

If, on the other hand, the Rams take Bradford in Round 1, I think there is a pretty good chance that they'll have some very good options in Round 2, including (possibly) some good DL. To me, that's the best option.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

There's definitely a chance McCoy isn't there. But there's also the chance that he is. It's a risk to make decisions while considering in the back of your mind who might be available later, but the Rams have a number of different options.

First, Colt could fall to them and they could take him. If he falls into the twenties - as most expect, I'd say - the Rams could possibly strike a deal and move up to secure him. Or, if McCoy is drafted before the Rams can make a move, they could phone Washington (who likely draft Bradford if the Rams don't) or Philadelphia and check on the availability of Jason Campbell or Donovan McNabb, respectively. That could be a phone call that happens overnight, as teams are resetting their boards for round two.

Whether it's Bradford/DL or Suh/McCoy, I don't think either scenario is a dud. But it's entirely possible that the best defensive lineman on the board in round two might be the eighth or ninth ranked guy in the DL rankings. Sure, it's a deep class on the defensive line and there's a lot of talent there. But if that's the case, then perhaps getting the highest ranked DL in Suh and the third ranked QB in McCoy is more appealing, even if you have to move a bit to secure McCoy.

Definitely something to think about in terms of the strategy! Ultimately, I suspect the Rams probably won't entertain such scenarios and will simply draft Bradford first overall, but you never know! If Clausen slips, as some suspect, that's likely going to cause McCoy to slip as well. It'll be interesting to look back in five years and see what could have been, and determine if that is better or worse than what was.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12