Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By RebelYell
  • 1 Post By timsum1283
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By Mikey
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Does Greg Robinson remind anyone of Jason Smith?

peramoure is offline Registered User

Does Greg Robinson remind anyone of Jason Smith?

We all remember Jason Smith mauling everyone in the run game, but having questionable (and somewhat untested) pass blocking skills. Everything I've read and every video I've watched praise his run blocking ability, and likewise everything I see says he is unproven in the pass blocking arena. Your thoughts? Would Jake Matthews be a better option, given that he is a proven tackle, albeit slightly less capable in the run game?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Does Greg Robinson remind anyone of Jason Smith?

No...

Jason Smith was not particularly great at anything. He was a TE convert and an athletic OT who was overdrafted by a struggling team who desperately needed a LT. We had one of the worst O-line coaches in Joe Looney. There is a reason everyone is calling Greg Robinson "elite" and "dominant". Some people even saying he's been the best offensive line prospect they've ever watched run block.

They are not similar at all. Yes, Robinson is raw in the pass game, but that does not mean he isn't good at it, he just wasn't asked to do it often. He has the kick-slide-punch ability and power to hold up any DE.

Greg Robinson will be great in the NFL. Also, Jason Smith wasn't the worst player in the league, he just had severe injury concerns and concussion problems.

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

So Jason Smith was a player who didn't have much experience at his position and was drafted because he was a great athlete with a high upside.
    Sounds nothing like Robinson.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Yes. I'm very afraid that Robinson will become the next Jason Smith.

I would feel 5x better if the Rams drafted Matthews over Robinson. I understand his potential and ability but I would be remiss if they drafted Robinson to protect Bradford, a tremendous priority, when he was never exuded for his pass-blocking ability in college.

Matthews and Lewan were two of the best OT prospects in the nation before they went back to school last year. Jake Matthews was more revered by Luke Joekel by many and almost every analyst you listen to today says he is the safer pick. I fear that Robinson will be picked instead of Matthews.
    ManofGod likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    So Jason Smith was a player who didn't have much experience at his position and was drafted because he was a great athlete with a high upside.
    In the ways that Rebel has mentioned, yes, they are very much alike. However, in a lot of ways that's where the comparison stops. Robinson is a more natural fit as an O-lineman with bigger hands, longer arms, and an extra 30 pounds on Smith. Whereas Smith's athleticism was to be his way of covering his physical lack of strength, Robinson does not have that weakness to cover. As well, while Robinson didn't play in an exactly NFL-pro system, the Auburn offense is much more conventional than the Baylor offense in which Smith typically played in a 2-point stance.

In the fact that both are raw and athletic, yes, they are the same and carry some of the same risks. But their game has a lot of differences as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Just the opposite if you ask me.

Smith gave up 3˝ sacks and was penalized five times. With Baylor running a spread offense since the arrival of new head coach Art Briles, Smith was usually in a two-point stance for pass protection, which caused NFL scouts to question his run blocking ability.
    Pre-draft measurables 6 5' 309 Lbs

Greg Robinson
    Remarkable combination of size, power and body control. Owns a prototypical frame for playing offensive line in the NFL, including broad shoulders, long arms, a relatively trim waist, thick bubble and tree trunks for legs.

Latches on and controls as a run-blocker with good hand placement, easy knee bend and awesome power to simply maul opponents, often driving them yards off the line of scrimmage. Keeps his legs driving, showing good spatial awareness and body control to keep his feet in traffic. Good quickness for the down block and shows surprisingly light feet to adjust to moving targets when asked to block at the second level.

Developing pass blocker with all of the physical traits scouts look for in an NFL left tackle. Quick out of his stance, plays with good flexibility and has the long arms and strong hands to catch edge rushers and ride them out of the pocket. An exceptional talent just scratching the surface of his potential.

Pre-draft measurables 6 5' 332 Lbs

Smith was in a spread and was all about pass blocking and Robinson was in ground and pound and was all about blowing open running lanes. Their frames are different as well Robinson is flat out a bigger man. I think Robinson floor is a lot higher then Smith was as well as his ceiling. If all Robinson becomes is a pro bowl guard that's better then a bust LT. If Robinson became Larry Allen I would not be hating it.
    sosa39rams and Mikey like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Similar in that they both had question marks because of the offense they were a part of in college. Like Rambos quoted above me both have/had questions about their pass blocking ability but for different reasons. I'd say Robinson grades much higher than Smith did because he is as powerful as we see on tape in the run game. At worst, the absolute floor for Robinson, he'll be a very good guard in the NFL. I don't think the same was said about Smith.
    Rambos likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When Jason Smith was drafted, everyone was asking... does he remind you of Jason Peters? (a converted TE who came into the league with no experience at OT, but became a 6 time Pro Bowler at the position).

Now, people are asking, does Greg Robinson remind you of Jason Smith?

Here's a notion...

How about... everyone is an individual and player with similar profiles often have very dissimilar careers.
    Flippin' Ram and sosa39rams like this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I think its a fair notion that a similar trait in a prospect can be compared with one that caused a lot of grief for the team and hence making them gun shy about repeating history. In terms of having such a high pick and 'wasting' it on a player who could bomb.

Like what was mentioned part of the problem with Smith was his injuries and bad coaching. Had he steered clear of both who knows what kind of lineman he could have become. Has Robinson had those injuries? Not rhetorical by the way I really don't know. That would seem to be more of concern rather then his unproven passing skills that can be honed with a great line coach which we happen to have.

Short of taking Manziel with the first pick and a running back with pick 13 there is no way the Rams can screw up this draft, at least the early part of it. Too many good options at both areas that can be filled on the team. There is going to be someone who was ticked that we took a over b, and didn't take c when d was available but what can you do?

kman is offline Registered User

I don't recall smith being considered a mauler in run game..he was a blown up tight end, so I remember his "athleticism" being his best trait...when you get burned drafting a position in the past, u tend to think of comparisons but I don't think this one applies

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I agree with most posts here. I don't think he does, but is in the back of my mind. That's why I would rather go with Jake Matthews. Not that it is 100% safe. But, it's completely fine for our needs. If Long is ready, keep Matthews at Guard and move him to LT in 2-3 years and rest of his career.
    sashadpb likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think he does in the sense that we're talking about two guys who, as prospects, were praised as outstanding athletes who still needed technique work when it came to pass protection. But as Av said, no decision about Greg Robinson should be made with Jason Smith in mind; they're separate players and should be judged individually.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Actually to be fair, that sounds like half of the NFL.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

He wont be drafted by the Rams - I like the kid from Nevada in the 2nd round.