Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Does hiring Spagnuolo change our draft approach?

Every since the season finished, the name Andre Smith has been consistantly being linked with Rams. OT is something that we do need (After missing out on Jake Long last year) but does Spagnuolo have other ideas?

He is big on his defensive schemes and IMO may look to bolster the defense with the number 2 pick in the upcoming draft.

Will he look for another young DT,DE to go with Carriker and Long? (which will allow us to get more pressure on the opposition quarterback) or will he be looking for a strong, athletic middle linebacker? (Who can power his way through the offensive line as well as being able to drop into coverage and give the opposition big problems)

Also, who do you think Spagnuolo will be looking at in free agency that could come in and be a success?

Exciting times ahead....

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Does hiring Spagnuolo change our draft approach?

Curry from Alabama would fit the bill in his scheme.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RockinRam is offline Registered User

What if we trade down and grab Maualauga? With Maualauga in Spag's schemes, we would have a dominant front seven. Plus, Maualauga could play to his full potential under the guidance of Spag's coaching.

WOOHO I AM EXCITED!

evil is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    What if we trade down and grab Maualauga? With Maualauga in Spag's schemes, we would have a dominant front seven. Plus, Maualauga could play to his full potential under the guidance of Spag's coaching.

WOOHO I AM EXCITED!
    Personally I think JL would be the better fit in Spag's attacking D than Rey, and Curry would be better than both. Curry would be a BEAST under Spags.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil View Post
    Personally I think JL would be the better fit in Spag's attacking D than Rey, and Curry would be better than both. Curry would be a BEAST under Spags.

I like Maualauga's size way more than Lauranaitis. Rey can stuff lanes, and he's a big physical hitter. Lauranaitis on the other hand, is faster, but smaller. He gets swallowed by o-linemen, taking him out of the play. Lauranaitis is a much better coverage guy than he is run stopping.

I wouldn't mind getting Curry, but again, I like Maualauga's size.

I would be very happy with any of these three guys.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I wanted us to go LB, but after seeing how 'Bammer functions w/out Andre, I think he may be 'the man'. Still don't know about OT w/ the first pick tho.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

I'll admit that I don't know much about the 2009 draft class. However, I don't think we could go wrong with offensive line or middle linebacker in the first round.
    :1:

TKnight39 is offline Registered User

Maualauga's character bothers me a bit. Curry or JL are a fine choice if we trade our pick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Anytime you bring in a new coach, he's going to bring with him his own philosophy and perspective for personnel. That said, I don't think that suddenly we're going to go defense since we just hired a defensive-minded head coach, if that makes sense. Scott Linehan had an offensive background and went defense with all three of his first-round picks. Mike Smith in Atlanta had a defensive background and spent two first-round picks on offense.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'll put it this way, unless they find a way to protect Bulger better, we could get a defense that is Raven like and we still would be 2-14.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I think mauluga is a perfect inside backer for a 3-4. So i would really like to see curry if we go defense but not at the No.2 but if we trade down to five and we know he'll be around I would like to see that pick.

keith m. klink Guest

Spagnuolo will put in a request for what he wants and needs , and Devaney will be calling the draft . Coach is going to do just that , coach!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that Spags will give Curry a good long look, but he did indicate in his press conference that running the ball and protecting the QB are priorities.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I did think about this myself. I think it would probably come down to Smith and Curry. I do hear alot of feelings about Smith being suited as a guard than a tackle. If that is the case, we have to pass on him. If he will truly be a better guard than a tackle, lets take a tackle in the free agency or a later round.

However I think OT is the biggest priority. If they can land Maualuga, Laurinitis, or Curry, I won't be upset.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

In my pointy little head there's room for discussion about which OT we might take but I can't say that any other position makes more sense than an OT with the first pick. It's the only position I can think of where we kill two crucial birds with one stone; strengthen the run game and protect the QB.

And it answers no to the question in the OP; as AV said, it's the only clue we have about Spags' approach at this point.

Curry is undoubtedly a tasty prospect but rarely do LBs get picked at #2. Arrington is the only one I can think of in the recent past & he didn't turn out to be even the best LB of that class (Urlacher). Lotta dough to wrap up at that position, esp when there are proven commodities in FA like Vilma.

I really wish there were better DE/DT prospects. I'm all for starting with the lines and working back. Except for Long, there are question marks over everyone's head on DL for me, whether it's about contract, age, or potential yet to be fulfilled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast