Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Does hiring Spagnuolo change our draft approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    In my pointy little head there's room for discussion about which OT we might take but I can't say that any other position makes more sense than an OT with the first pick. It's the only position I can think of where we kill two crucial birds with one stone; strengthen the run game and protect the QB.
    Point well made; however, if the Rams do in fact take A. Curry it will also "kill two crucial birds with one stone" in that with Curry at MLB it will allow 'Spoon to return to his more natural position of WLB. This would not only strengthen the defense against the run but the multiple blitz packages of Curry and Spoon could make a Johnson protege' like Spags salivate copiously. Another benefit is that it would increase our LB depth in that Pisa would have to fight it out with Culberson and Draft and competition like this is exactly what this team has needed for years.

While I certainly understand the call for a dominating OT like Smith, if he is not able to play Left Tackle in the NFL then I say we shift gears and look at Curry and address our OL needs later in the draft.

WHAT SAY YE?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Excellent counter, Ramarkable. The money thing still worries me a bit but since one of your birds(Spoon) is already on the payroll ,that may make that point a push.

Then again,I'm also a little wary of a rookie having to start while learning the NFL game, a new position( he was OLB @ WF,no?) AND calling the plays for the D. Long more than showed his potential but I think the run D in particular took a beating in part because of him, esp in the latter half of the season. MLB is a lonely but strategically vital island for a rookie.

Even rookie QBs like Ryan and Flacco had guys to help protect their transition. What would Curry have? Our DL? The 2ndary? I expect improvement under Spags but not overnight miracles.

That's why I favor an experienced but in his prime FA like Vilma.

With an OT, we can likely work him in without such exposure/pressure. Who knows how the Pace/Barron situation will play out but I doubt both of them will go pre-TC. Plus a beast RB and vet QB.

It has boldness on its side but we have the need for the orthodox choice,too, and the talent in A. Smith and Oher is pretty impressive so I'm not sure DeSpags takes the risk.

BTW, Has anyone test flown this Game Rewind thing on NFLdotcom? Sounds like a great way to get edumakated about the FAs out there as well as re-assess our own guys as FA gets rolling? $20 for all 2008 games is a good deal.I'm gonna wait till after the SB, personally. I need to get off my fat rear for a couple of weeks and put down the remote.

richtree is offline Registered User

Maualauga has been getting horrible reviews about his body being out of shape and character issues

he is someone that will slip after the combine and the Rams DO NOT want him

Weddle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'll put it this way, unless they find a way to protect Bulger better, we could get a defense that is Raven like and we still would be 2-14.
    Exactly my thoughts!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12