BarronWade is offline Registered User

Does Jonathan Baldwin pass the 4 pillar test?

Jonathan is a good big possession WR he is 6-5 225 pounds.

His scouting reports are great and i think he would be the perfect fit for the Rams offense alongside amendola and either Clayton or Avery. He is that big Plaxico Burress type that is great in the red-zone and can block well too.

Here is Mel Kipers take on this guy:

(the grading scale is 1-5 1 being the best and 5 being the worst)

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS
    Production 2 2008: (13/3) 18 receptions, 404 yards (22.4 avg.), 3 TD. 2009: (13/13) 57 receptions, 1,111 yards (19.5), 8 TD. Career: 2 carries, 65 yards (32.5).

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses rare size for the position and good top-end speed for size.

Durability 1 Durability is not a factor.

Intangibles 3 Member of the Big East All-Academic team in 2009. Shows good commitment to improving his skills both on and off the field. Hard worker in the weight room. Arrested and charged with misdemeanor indecent assault, summary harassment and summary disorderly conduct in spring of 2009 but the charges were later dismissed.

WIDE RECEIVER SPECIFIC TRAITS

Separation Skills 3 Unpolished in this area at this point. Still learning how to gain initial leverage working within stem to separate from defenders. Needs to throttle down and a bit segmented with lateral in and out cuts. Long strides allow him to separate from coverage running shallow or intermediate crossing routes. Also shows a quick burst coming out of vertical cuts and can be extremely dangerous executing double moves down field. Displays a natural feel working against zone coverage. Does a nice job of rolling in dig routes and finding the soft spots in the middle of the field.

Ball Skills 1 Elite in this area. Displays natural and strong hands and catches the ball away from his frame. Body control is excellent and can make tough catch outside of frame look easy. At his best catching the ball up high where he can use his long arms and ability to elevate. Tracks the deep ball effortlessly and will cause matchup problems in one-on-one jump ball situations. Flashes ability to pull in acrobatic one-handed catch.

Big play ability 1 Long strides provide him with deceiving top-end speed. Combined with ability to track deep ball makes him an immediate and legit vertical threat at the next level. Strong runner and can be tough to bring down in one-on-one situations in the open field. Displays an effective stiff arm. However, needs a seam to create a big gain after catch and lacks elite elusiveness to consistently make defenders miss in the open field.

Competitiveness/ Toughness 2 Aggressive and physical when attacking the ball in the air. Willing to work the middle of the field and will put body on the line to haul in catch while taking a hit. Bigger frame makes it easy for him to cover DBs downfield as a run blocker. However, effort can be erratic in this department.

I know spags has drafted Brad Fletcher who had a DUI charge (correct me if i am wrong) but if we are picking in the 1st round how important is it to get a team leader type 4-pillar player?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Does Jonathan Baldwin pass the 4 pillar test?

According to the write-up you posted, the charges were dismissed. So I wouldn't think they'd really hold that against him unless there were other incidents that brought it back into the light.

I'm not a huge Jon Baldwin fan, but if the Rams end up picking in the latter half of the first round and need a receiver, he could be the best value on the board.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to the write-up you posted, the charges were dismissed. So I wouldn't think they'd really hold that against him unless there were other incidents that brought it back into the light.

I'm not a huge Jon Baldwin fan, but if the Rams end up picking in the latter half of the first round and need a receiver, he could be the best value on the board.
    yea i know the charges were dropped but he still has some off-field issues and he not a team leader i havnet read anything about him being a captain.

Im just asking do you think a player has to be a perfect 4 pillar player and a team leader like Smith and Bradford for the Rams to take him in the 1st

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    yea i know the charges were dropped but he still has some off-field issues and he not a team leader i havnet read anything about him being a captain.

Im just asking do you think a player has to be a perfect 4 pillar player and a team leader like Smith and Bradford for the Rams to take him in the 1st
    I think it'll depend on individual interviews and asking around more than just these dismissed charges.

If he seems like a responsible, hard-working and smart player during the interview, and if his coaches and fellow players can vouch for him, then I think it will be fine.

I'm not a huge Baldwin fan either, but I wouldn't mind him. We need WRs that can catch the ball, and Baldwin, Green and Floyd all catch the ball better than Julio Jones.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

What other off-the-field issues? Also, does a player have to be a team captain in order to be a leader?

As for your question, I think the Rams are willing to bend the Four Pillars approach if they feel a player has learned from their mistake and is growing in the right direction. This is likely where the interview process factors in heavily.