Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    berg8309 is online now Registered User

Does McDaniels change our approach to FA/The Draft?

I think he does. I think hiring him will force the Rams to acquire personnel to help fit his system. I do not think that means McD picks out the players he wants and the Rams sell off whoever they have to in order to get them. However, I think hiring McD demonstrates that the Rams are willing to bring in pieces that fit his system.

Whether that be through the draft or free agency, I think you will see the Rams aggressively pursue a couple players that go with the system. Think McD could help influence Mankins to sign here? He would improve our Oline tremendously.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Does McDaniels change our approach to FA/The Draft?

The last thing I can see the Rams doing is spending yet a another 30 million plus dollars on a lineman when we already have three of those. You could just as easily find players for his system in the draft I don't think you have to be aggressive in FA. I would expect a line upgrade in the mid-late rounds that's what he did in Denver

In Denver he went after bigger Receivers like Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, and Jabar Gafney. Rams have one big guy in Danario Alexander I think he will play a big role. Interesting name could be Vincent Jackson who he coached against and always beasted the Broncos.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

no doubt McD will have some input but i think ultimately billy d and spags will make all the calls.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

McD will undoubtedly attract FA players towards the Rams. However, I still expect this team to be run fully by DeSpags. McD may get some input, but ultimately, it'll fall on Devaney and Coach Spags to choose the players. McD might increase our push for a WR, however.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Other than a possible preference for bigger WRs, I don't think that there will be much change.

The more immediate question is whether McDaniels will keep the position coaches (Loney, Cromwell, Curl) or bring in his own guys.

shower beers is online now Registered User

I actually think this hire makes St. Louis a more attractive option for free agent WRs. So we may be able to lure in what we need for our corp, and maybe focus on the defense in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Other than a possible preference for bigger WRs, I don't think that there will be much change.

The more immediate question is whether McDaniels will keep the position coaches (Loney, Cromwell, Curl) or bring in his own guys.
    Are these really the OC's call? I would think Spags and Devaney would want Curl back.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think McDaniels will help to sign a Free Agent WR, like others here have said. With that being said, I think you can forget about Fells coming back, and forget about getting a big name TE in free agency.

McDaniels likes plently a WR sets, 3 WR , 4 WR with a dynamic RB. With that being said SJax should get more catches but expect another RB to be a priority in the draft or free agency.

Kyle Orton played well under this system with a 2:1 TD to Int ratio and thats what I will expect from Bradford to lead us offensively next season.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I meant to be.

I didnt mean "who will Josh McDaniels sign" so much as "How will our targets change and how aggresively will we pursue them so that we can bring in personnel to fit the system"

I am sure we have good personnel for his system in Avery, Alexander, etc. However that doesn't mean everyone fits. You wouldn't sign a coach who implements the 3-4 defensive system, then sign a bunch of 4-3 guys, they don't fit. Devaney will still decide who to go for, McD will make recommendations I am sure, and even help court, but won't have any sort of final say. I just wondered if anyone thought this would change our targets or make us pursue them more aggressively to make sure we have the right personnel on the field.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Okay i got a question...

AV and 39thebeast touched on it Mcdaniels favors taller receivers. Does that mean anything in terms of Donnie Avery and Mike Clayton staying with the team?

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Are these really the OC's call? I would think Spags and Devaney would want Curl back.
    It has apparently just been announced that Curl is retiring. Do you think that is a coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Okay i got a question...

AV and 39thebeast touched on it Mcdaniels favors taller receivers. Does that mean anything in terms of Donnie Avery and Mike Clayton staying with the team?
    Avery is under contract, so it should not impact him at all. As for Clayton, if the Rams can sign Sidney Rice or V-Jax, I'm not sure how much they'd offer MC to return.

BerlinThunder is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It has apparently just been announced that Curl is retiring. Do you think that is a coincidence?
    It could indeed be coincidence. He is going to be 71 years old this year and may be reluctant to work with a new OC. Not to mention that the new OC is half is age

39thebeast is offline Registered User

McDaniels likes size and likes using 3 WR sets. I could see the Rams adding 1 or 2 guys through the draft or FA

Some interesting names that could be available are Malcolm Floyd, Legedu Nane, Mike Sims Walker, Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson, Torrey Smith, Julio Jones, and Jonathan Baldwin. I could see the Rams signing a cheaper complimentary guy like Mike Sims-Walker or Legedu Nane and then Drafting either Jones, Baldwin, or Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    McDaniels likes size and likes using 3 WR sets. I could see the Rams adding 1 or 2 guys through the draft or FA

Some interesting names that could be available are Malcolm Floyd, Legedu Nane, Mike Sims Walker, Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson, Torrey Smith, Julio Jones, and Jonathan Baldwin. I could see the Rams signing a cheaper complimentary guy like Mike Sims-Walker or Legedu Nane and then Drafting either Jones, Baldwin, or Smith.
    Leonard Hankerson and Greg Little also fit this mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast