throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Does Saffold recent play make you rethink our #1 priority?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Does Saffold recent play make you rethink our #1 priority?

Our 2 biggest needs were thought to be a #1 WR and a LT but Saffold is playing very well, once again. With how bad he was last year we almost forgot how good he was his rookie year.

If he continues this play for the rest of the year do we rethink drafting a LT(Joeckel), maybe take a right tackle like Jake Matthews, an OLB like Mosely, or a tight end like Eifert?
    Last edited by mcpeepants232003; -11-26-2012 at 01:16 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Does Saffold recent play make you rethink our #1 priority?

I think for our first round picks need to be BPA. We need solid players across the board still. Free agency will provide onsight on what players the rams are looking at for the draft.
    ManofGod likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does Saffold recent play make you rethink our #1 priority?

I think it comes down to the following question: how many players in this year's draft are deemed to be superior LT prospects than Saffold?

Luke Joekel? Probably.
    Taylow Lewin. Perhaps.
    Others? Questionable.

If the Rams can't get a Joekel or Lewin, I like the idea of going for one of the elite OGs (Warmack, Jones) or taking a top RT (Matthews) in the late first (would require a trade down) or second round.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Since saffold is playing good i cant see us drafting a tackle in the 1st round. Im pretty sure we will address our line in the draft, probably G and T but i cant see use drafting them in the 1st round unless one of those guys is a stonewall!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm already on record as saying we need to see how this line plays the rest of the way. That being said if Luke Joekel is on the board and he grades out so much higher then any other needs then I would still take him. I'm not sure that is the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think it comes down to the following question: how many players in this year's draft are deemed to be superior LT prospects than Saffold?

Luke Joekel? Probably.
    Taylow Lewin. Perhaps.
    Others? Questionable.

If the Rams can't get a Joekel or Lewin, I like the idea of going for one of the elite OGs (Warmack, Jones) or taking a top RT (Matthews) in the late first (would require a trade down) or second round.
    A lot of people think Lewan will stay put. Rumor is he loves his coach and MU. I agree a guard is an option as well. although I'm not sure who we would replace. I actually like Turner but don't think Dahl has lived up to his deal. If we could save a ton of money by letting Dahl go I'd have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Since saffold is playing good i cant see us drafting a tackle in the 1st round. Im pretty sure we will address our line in the draft, probably G and T but i cant see use drafting them in the 1st round unless one of those guys is a stonewall!
    Joeckel and Lewan both look to be excellent LT prospects.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I've played out a few scenarios in my head and could envision a trade down being HUGE for us. We trade our highest 1st rounder for a mid 1st rounder (15th-ish, and a 2nd and 5th). We then proceed to take OG Chance Warmack with our highest pick (Redskins), we take TE Tyler Eifert with our next first round pick (The one we just traded for), and take RT Jake Matthews at the top of the 2nd.

We'd have

LT: Saffold
    LG: Warmack
    C: Wells
    RG: Dahl
    RT: Matthews

And we'd give Sam an elite TE, especially in the red-zone.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I've played out a few scenarios in my head and could envision a trade down being HUGE for us. We trade our highest 1st rounder for a mid 1st rounder (15th-ish, and a 2nd and 5th). We then proceed to take OG Chance Warmack with our highest pick (Redskins), we take TE Tyler Eifert with our next first round pick (The one we just traded for), and take RT Jake Matthews at the top of the 2nd.

We'd have

LT: Saffold
    LG: Warmack
    C: Wells
    RG: Dahl
    RT: Matthews

And we'd give Sam an elite TE, especially in the red-zone.
    I like this scenario because with the 2nd 2nd rounder we could grab someone like Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Peterson or Robert Woods(assuming we don't sign a receiver). Shoot with another 2nd we might want to consider taking a running back. Taylor or Ellington sill could be around at that point.

I'm not sure if I'd take 2 linemen. Would we release Harvey Dahl because I've thought Turner has been pretty solid? If we did two linemen I think I'd prefer Jones as he can play center and guard.

I'd rather take(in your scenario)

mid 1 CJ Moseley OLB
    mid 1 Tyler Eifert TE
    early 2 Matthews RT
    mid 2 TJ Mcdonald S
    early 3 S. Taylor RB

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Our 2 biggest needs were thought to be a #1 WR and a LT but Saffold is playing very well, once again. With how bad he was last year we almost forgot how good he was his rookie year.

If he continues this play for the rest of the year do we rethink drafting a LT(Joeckel), maybe take a right tackle like Jake Matthews, an OLB like Mosely, or a tight end like Eifert?
    My early draft strategy is BOPA (best offensive player available), unless of course the value of an available defensive prospect is so great that you simply cannot justify passing on him. But this offense needs help at other positions besides LT, so if Saffold continues to play solid football and the coaching staff is comfortable with him as the LT going into 2013, then let's add some talent to another spot on the OL.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    When it comes to Matthews lasting until round two, I'm not as confident as you seem to be. There's a lot of time between now and the draft, but I have him slotted mid to late first round.

The beautiful thing about the rookie wage scale is that, even if Saffold elevates his play to close the year and convinces the coaches he is the LT for this team going into 2013, they can still go OT in Round One without having to swallow a killer contract and play that guy on the right side, where obviously an upgrade over Barry Richardson would be wise.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If he keeps his play up or the rest of the year I like Saffold and he will cost us less than a million next year and that is great.... but he will be a free agent in 2014. I want to see us sign him to an affordable extension before the draft if at all possible.

Just don't want to pass on Joeckel only to lose Saffold the next year and be back to square one at LT in 2014.

I'm probably going to lean towards Joeckel anyways in my mock but who knows.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I would rather just sign JaredCook for that Elite TE spot. I think Jared Cook could be a great FA signing. Which will leave a couple more minor FA signings and OL/OLB/S/WR heavy draft

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I would rather just sign JaredCook for that Elite TE spot. I think Jared Cook could be a great FA signing. Which will leave a couple more minor FA signings and OL/OLB/S/WR heavy draft
    FA are so expensive though and who knows how much money we'll have. If it's get a legit top receiver like Jennings or Wallace or pay nearly the same for a guy who may be elite I'd take the receiver. Especially since the draft class is weak in receiving talent but has pretty solid tight end talent.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I really would rather have Saffold at LT and draft a guard. Really has Saffold had any help next to him? He's been playing his whole career next to underachievers. Give him a decent guard next to him and i think he would really excel.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

According to my research, Saffold pretty much played exclusively at LT in college, and has played that spot throughout his time with the Rams. I think it is a mistake to assume that the OT spots are entirely interchangeable, so those projections which have Saffold moving to the right side involve some risk.
    Rambos, Tampa_Ram and lostsoul like this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    According to my research, Saffold pretty much played exclusively at LT in college, and has played that spot throughout his time with the Rams. I think it is a mistake to assume that the OT spots are entirely interchangeable, so those projections which have Saffold moving to the right side involve some risk.
    That is true. And a fun tidbit, on Sunday Roger Saffold did not allow a single QB disruption (according to PFF). He's been outstanding since he's returned.
    Rambos and Tampa_Ram like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast