BarronWade is offline Registered User

Does Selvie and Sims affect our 1st round pick?

Last we drafted 3 DEs: George Selvie, Eugene Sims, and hall Davis however we traded davis.

Sims and Selvie played some pretty good football. Selvie played in all 16 games and recored 21 total tackles and 1.5 sacks. Sims on the other hand played in 9 games and did record a safety. They both showed promise. Selvie showed potential to possible become a starter while sims looks to be a good rotational DE.

Lately it seems its been a battle of Corey Liuget vs. Aldon Smith.

Do you guys feel Selvie and Sims will have any impact on this battle? Lets say the Rams rated both these guys evenly do you guys think Liuget will be the pick because we are deep at DE?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Does Selvie and Sims affect our 1st round pick?

I would say no. There's no way we pass on a first round talent, thinking we can make up for that with the late-round ends we drafted last year. If we draft Liuget, we do so because the front office feels he's the best player available.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Selvie has a lot of potential to become a top notch DE. James Hall was an undrafted DE that started out around where Selvie's progressing right now and with a guy like Spags coaching him, I'm sure his talent level will progress faster than Hall did. Still, I wouldn't rely too much on him to become our starter but if Spags and Devaney think he's the answer to our starting DE lineup, I'll be looking forward to it. Sims has potential too but his role is more of a special teams contributer.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Do you guys feel Selvie and Sims will have any impact on this battle?
    Gosh, I hope not.

Neither of these late-round picks have shown nearly enough to convince this team to pass on a superior talent at the position, IMO. While people can find some late-round gems who have worked out, the odds are overwhelmingly against them becoming top-notch pass rushers.

If Sims or Selvie develop into something, then the more the merrier. That'd give the Rams three great ends rather than just two. But I don't think you alter your draft strategy very much because you have some depth guys who have flashed here or there.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The only way I see them having an impact would be if the Rams were looking at at DE and a DT that they thought were dead even. Of course, if you then look to who is already on the roster, you have to look at Darrell Scott and Jermelle Cudjo as well.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Selvie wil be the re started this year or next year mark my words.... I will pull this thread back up when it happens. That being said we will draft a dt.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Does Selvie and Sims affect our 1st round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Gosh, I hope not.

Neither of these late-round picks have shown nearly enough to convince this team to pass on a superior talent at the position, IMO. While people can find some late-round gems who have worked out, the odds are overwhelmingly against them becoming top-notch pass rushers.

If Sims or Selvie develop into something, then the more the merrier. That'd give the Rams three great ends rather than just two. But I don't think you alter your draft strategy very much because you have some depth guys who have flashed here or there.
    Very well-put.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Gosh, I hope not.

I dont mean Selvie and Sims make us pass on Smith what i mean is their affect on a battle between Liuget and Smith. Does Liuget become the pick if both of them are graded equally and are still on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only way I see them having an impact would be if the Rams were looking at at DE and a DT that they thought were dead even. Of course, if you then look to who is already on the roster, you have to look at Darrell Scott and Jermelle Cudjo as well.
    Spags did indeed draft Scott in 2009 and Cudjo was and undrafted rookie last year but i dont see much from cudjo and scott needs to develop a better pass rush for spags D. I think both will have earn a spot on the team in the pre-season

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I dont mean Selvie and Sims make us pass on Smith what i mean is their affect on a battle between Liuget and Smith. Does Liuget become the pick if both of them are graded equally and are still on the board?
    But they would make us pass on Smith, if they're what tips the balance in favor of Liuget. And I'm saying that I don't believe we've seen enough out of them to put that much emphasis on their contributions to this team. If the Rams have Smith and Liuget graded similarly or even equally, then I really hope the determining factor in the decision isn't the presence of Selvie and Sims on the roster.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think it will be a BPA pick, regardless of position.

If current players factor in significantly- and I don't believe they would except to eliminate OT and QB- I'd guess that DeSpags' assessment of whose wheels will come off first- Robbins or Hall- would be more important than their projection for either Sims or Selvie.