Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Does the Zach Thomas signing affect the Chiefs' chances of drafting Aaron Curry?

Many people think that, if Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry makes it to the Chiefs' first round pick, he's a lock to be drafted there. But I can't help but wonder if this piece of news changes that slightly..

Chiefs sign veteran LB Zach Thomas
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs added another part to their defense Saturday when they agreed to contract terms with veteran linebacker Zach Thomas.

Thomas turns 36 in September, but he has made seven trips to the Pro Bowl in his 13 NFL seasons. His most recent Pro Bowl season came in 2006 with Miami, but Thomas started 14 games last year in his first season with Dallas after 12 years with the Dolphins.

Thomas is the second veteran linebacker acquired by the Chiefs in recent weeks. He follows Mike Vrabel, who came in the trade with New England that also brought QB Matt Cassel.

With the Chiefs looking to play the 3-4 defense next season, Thomas is a probable starter at one inside linebacker position. Vrabel will start at one of the outside positions.

Derrick Johnson also figures as one of the starters, probably on the inside. The Chiefs also have Demorrio Williams and recently signed veteran Monty Beisel for depth and to play on special teams.

That leaves one starting spot. The Chiefs could fill the position through the draft and may be planning to select Aaron Curry of Wake Forest or Everette Brown of Florida State with their No. 3 overall pick.

Thomas, a fifth-round pick by Miami out of Texas Tech in 1996, immediately became a starter for the Dolphins. He has been extremely durable, missing only 24 games in his career because of injury.

Thomas missed 11 games in 2007, his final season with Miami. An auto accident midway through that year caused migraine headaches that led the Dolphins to put Thomas on the injured list.
    If Kansas City has two starting inside linebackers in Johnson and Thomas, do they still spend the #3 overall pick on Aaron Curry if he's still on the board? The Chiefs now appear to have bigger holes outside at the rush linebacker position, and Curry wasn't used much as a pass rusher at Wake Forest.

While Thomas is hardly a long-term solution, is he enough of a presence on that team to prompt the Chiefs to look elsewhere with their first pick?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Does the Zach Thomas signing affect the Chiefs' chances of drafting Aaron Curry?

Honestly from the beginning i thought they should take Brian Orakpo. Cuz there pass rush was so bad last year. If im not mistaken they only got 10 sacks as a team last year. Dorsey is always getting double teamed so they need to get a pass rushing DE in Orakpo.

Well this is bad for the Rams because now the Seahawks will take Curry. Tatpou and Curry: DAMN!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Does the Zach Thomas signing affect the Chiefs' chances of drafting Aaron Curry?

Yeah, I don't think Curry would be a great fit as a rush linebacker. He probably projects inside in the 3-4, and I'm not sure if you really need two first round picks on the inside of the 3-4. I think this does make their pick a little more unpredictable. Do they take a quarterback? If they need a pass rusher, do they risk taking Orakpo and moving him to linebacker? Do they take an offensive lineman after drafting Brandon Albert last year?

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I think they keep Curry at OLB and let Zack play ILB atleast for one season. I don't htink this chagnes their draft position at all.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This won't change anything. Thomas is old, I mean...REALLY old. So they're going to need a replacement anyways, why not draft Curry for that purpose?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Let's not forget, Thomas was signed for only 1 year. Which doesn't mean he cannot be extended at some point. My guess is that they will still select Curry for the long-term and ensure he is well schooled by 2 very able veterans in Thomas and Vrabel. I would hate to see Curry go to the Seahawks and face him 2x each year.

Go Rams!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think teams are starting to wonder if drafting a player like Curry who doesn't (or hasn't done it much) rush the passer is worth the money that comes with being drafted so high. I don't know. I think it may have some impact but when the Chiefs are there at #3 and IF Curry is still on the board they may just draft him anyway.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This may be off topic but does anyone know why Z. Thomas did not resign with the 'Boys? I know he was healthy last year and heard that he played reasonably well, so IDK why he was available for KC.

WHAT SAY YE?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If the Rams are smart, they'll make Curry to the Chiefs with the 3rd pick, irrelevant.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    This may be off topic but does anyone know why Z. Thomas did not resign with the 'Boys? I know he was healthy last year and heard that he played reasonably well, so IDK why he was available for KC.

WHAT SAY YE?
    The big thing would probably be his age (Thomas will be 36 by the time the season starts), but the Cowboys were also able to sign Keith Brooking, who had played for Wade Phillips in Atlanta, making Thomas more expendable.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The big thing would probably be his age (Thomas will be 36 by the time the season starts), but the Cowboys were also able to sign Keith Brooking, who had played for Wade Phillips in Atlanta, making Thomas more expendable.
    Thanks fleece, you are a veritable fountain of da'at.