Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dolphins begin contract negotiations with Jake Long

Dolphins negotiating for Jake Long as No. 1 pick
    Posted on Wed, Apr. 09, 2008
    BY JEFF DARLINGTON

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins begin contract negotiations with Jake Long

even though I really like Jake Long and would like him to be our pick getting Chris Long is still a very good pick and will fill a major need,now on to round 2.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I wanted to draft a Long in the draft and it looks like were going to get the best one.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I still think its a smokescreen, for those who didn't see my topic before. But if it means them taking Jake Long, I am all for it, because I'll be happy with any player other than Jake Long on draft day.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It has often been stated that signability will be a huge factor in the Dolphins decision. Does this report say more about the fins desire for Jake Long, or their perceived inability to sign Chris Long? And if the latter, what hoops would the Rams have to jump through to get it done.

I believe the former is true, but gotta look at every angle.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Go Dolphins / Jake Long! Rooting for them only till Draft Day.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I love both Longs and I would be ecstatic if we got either

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It has often been stated that signability will be a huge factor in the Dolphins decision. Does this report say more about the fins desire for Jake Long, or their perceived inability to sign Chris Long? And if the latter, what hoops would the Rams have to jump through to get it done.

I believe the former is true, but gotta look at every angle.
    Chris' dad is a savvy guy who's been there and I'm sure he'll be advising Chris every step of the way through the contract negotiations. The question is, will he be more in favor of holding out for a monster contract, or will he be more concerned with being there on the first day of training camp. I'd like to think the latter, but who knows...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Chris' dad is a savvy guy who's been there and I'm sure he'll be advising Chris every step of the way through the contract negotiations. The question is, will he be more in favor of holding out for a monster contract, or will he be more concerned with being there on the first day of training camp. I'd like to think the latter, but who knows...
    I think your right about his dad Howie helping him out, he knows how important it is to get into camp instead of holding out for every last dollar he can get, if he turns out to be as good as we think he will make plenty of money during his career.I wonder if his dad has a choice on where he would like his son to go ?

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

(If you can imagine, for a moment, a very whiney sing-song voice jumping to preposterous conclusions...)

Chris Long is coming to St. Louis! Na Na Na Na Na!

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I still think its a smokescreen, for those who didn't see my topic before. But if it means them taking Jake Long, I am all for it, because I'll be happy with any player other than Jake Long on draft day.
    Interesting post.

I'm interested in why a team would go to that extent if they were hell-bent on not selecting him, anyway? What does a #1 overall smokescreen achieve? And how do you think a trade-down would operate in that scenario? Do you think the fact that they've actually begun contract talks would discourage a team from trading up, knowing the cost?

I know you can't much count morality into a world of business, but isn't that kind of rude to the player? Do you think TC would know that his client was being jerked around?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll join you in your premature celebration Bar-bq, but as for the second part, there's a very good reason to smokescreen with the number one pick.

One, you're still hoping to trade down, and so, the Dolphins are hoping now that the Chiefs and Rams want Jake so bad that we now offer to trade up to get him.

Second, you're smokecreening Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, and Matt Ryan, all of whom want to be the top pick, and now their agents(might be a bit interesting with Condon representing Jake and Matt) are going to inquire what the contract is for and seeing if they want to try to under cut it just to be the first pick. Slightly less guaranteed money is better than 2nd 3rd or even lower guaranteed money.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope this isn't a smoke screen, I really hope that they get Jake Long. We NEED Chris Long.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Dolphins are hoping now that the Chiefs and Rams want Jake so bad that we now offer to trade up to get him.
    Chiefs maybe Rams no. DE is the bigger need, I can't see moiving up to pay number one money when we will get one or the other at two.

I really hope they get this deal done..I think DE is a bigger need. Jake will be an all pro IMO.

Rambos is offline Registered User

NFLN reporting they are in contract negotiations with Jake Long, but we may hear other names like C.Long as well...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I doubt the contract talks with Jake are a smokescreen. Defensive line is a priority for the Rams and Falcons--and the Falcons also might want Matt Ryan. The Raiders could go in a variety of directions, so that just leaves the Chiefs among the top five who would badly want to draft for the offensive line. However, in a draft with this many first round rated offensive tackles, there's probably more incentive to trade down than up if that's the position you want to address.

Do the Dolphins still want to trade down? Probably. Is the interest in Jake Long sincere? More than likely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
  2. -04-10-2008, 10:51 AM