Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dolphins begin contract negotiations with Jake Long

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    NFLN reporting they are in contract negotiations with Jake Long, but we may hear other names like C.Long as well...
    They'll probably start negotiations with 3-4 different players to try and see if they can get the best deal, hoping to use one agent's terms in negotiations with another agent.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Chris' dad is a savvy guy who's been there and I'm sure he'll be advising Chris every step of the way through the contract negotiations. The question is, will he be more in favor of holding out for a monster contract, or will he be more concerned with being there on the first day of training camp. I'd like to think the latter, but who knows... -- Harrydog
    I think you're right about his dad Howie helping him out, he knows how important it is to get into camp instead of holding out for every last dollar he can get, if he turns out to be as good as we think he will make plenty of money during his career. I wonder if his dad has a choice on where he would like his son to go? -- JKramsfan
    Have to agree on both comments. Also, I'm guessing Howie Sr. would prefer Chris go to Rams. :r

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Or, they could sign Jake Long, knowing there are other teams that might trade up for him. Since the teams are worried about the money, if they can get Jake signed cheap enough and other teams like the contract, they could trade for him then. They could do the same thing for Matt Ryan.

Why are you guessing Howie wants Chris to go to the Rams? Why doesn't he want him playing for his old team?

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Why are you guessing Howie wants Chris to go to the Rams? Why doesn't he want him playing for his old team?
    Are you talking to me, Archer?

I'm just guessing Chris' dad would prefer the Rams over the Dolphins (obviously the two teams most likely to select CL before the Raiders) because of our current DL players and DC. Sort of a better fit, that's all.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

I hope we dont lock in on Chris Long. I am on the VG bandwagon. We need explosion not just effort on the D edge. If we draft Chris , a year from now we will be seeing 7 sacks from our DE and VG will have double that. We have a chance to get an athlete on the Shawn Merriman/Dwight Freeney level, and everyone is on a Patrik Kerney clone ..I dont see it. I saw Chris against ACC competition beat o-line on just effort. I saw VG in the big ten in big games beat the competition with athletic ability (speed and strength). PLease, please....someone in the war room hear me!!!!...I want to win....not just give good effort!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    I hope we dont lock in on Chris Long. I am on the VG bandwagon. We need explosion not just effort on the D edge. If we draft Chris , a year from now we will be seeing 7 sacks from our DE and VG will have double that. We have a chance to get an athlete on the Shawn Merriman/Dwight Freeney level, and everyone is on a Patrik Kerney clone ..I dont see it. I saw Chris against ACC competition beat o-line on just effort. I saw VG in the big ten in big games beat the competition with athletic ability (speed and strength). PLease, please....someone in the war room hear me!!!!...I want to win....not just give good effort!!
    I hope we do lock on Chris. Gholston is boom or bust to me. I don't think Gholston will double Long's sack total. Thats talking about 14-28 sacks. Long is more complete and will be a leader of the defense immediately. How can you say just effort the guy plays with elite leverage and technique and pairs that with his don't stop till the QB is dead mentality. BTW Kerney had more sacks than Merriman and Freeney, what in the world is wrong with that a complete end who leads the league in sacks and extremely stout against the run. To me in a 3-4 he can Merriman in a 4-3 he is John Abraham (Not saying there is anything wrong with that) at best not Dwight Freeney thats a whole other league.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

according to espn news...

the fins are in contract negotiations with jake long's agent

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I still think its a smokescreen, for those who didn't see my topic before. But if it means them taking Jake Long, I am all for it, because I'll be happy with any player other than Jake Long on draft day.
    YES THANK YOU

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: according to espn news...

I heard someone on ESPN radio say something I agree with.

In an effort to help the insanity at bay a team should contact the agents of the players they are considering and letting the agent know what the team is willing to offer as a contract to said player. The answer to the query would factor in heavily in deciding which player to draft.

I think this mainly had to do with the #1 pick.

Too much money is being thrown at these players before they play a down (if they ever play a down) in the NFL.

But then I would take it if they were dumb enough to offer it to me, too.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: according to espn news...

Its only a matter of time until the offer a few more contracts. The Rams may be making some here too.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    They'll probably start negotiations with 3-4 different players to try and see if they can get the best deal, hoping to use one agent's terms in negotiations with another agent.

I have to agre with this 100%, Miami will probably be negotiating with a few different players of need and whichever one they can gt the cheapest they will probably take. Having the 1st pick is almost a curse because of the amount of money #1 demands, they will want to get someone they need which could be Ryan,Long,Long,Dorsey or even Gholston for that matter and whoever comes cheaper they will draft.
    Just Fix It

ENN107 is offline Registered User

i think its a ploy on behalf of the phins. they are trying gain leverage on the other prospects

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

All I'm going to say is that if the Dolphins sign/draft Jake Long, the Rams absolutely must take Chris Long. If they pass on C.Long for Dorsey or Gholston, I will not be a happy camper.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    All I'm going to say is that if the Dolphins sign/draft Jake Long, the Rams absolutely must take Chris Long. If they pass on C.Long for Dorsey or Gholston, I will not be a happy camper.
    I agree, and apparently must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AvengerRam again.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree with most everyone on this post, getting either Chris or Jack would make me happy. However, if I had to pick one of the two, I would like to see us draft Chris. Let's hope Miami gets that contract finalized!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
  2. -04-10-2008, 10:51 AM