tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Dolphins/Cowboys Trade?

Cowboys | Team considering trade with Miami
    Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:46:46 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Dallas Cowboys are considering trading an undisclosed draft pick and RB Marion Barber III for the Miami Dolphins' No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.
    From KFFL

If this is the case, then its clearly so the Cowboys can take McFadden. The undisclosed pick must be a first rounder, otherwise the Dolphins are getting screwed on this trade, no matter how good Barber is. However, the way the article is worded suggests that should the Cowboys want to do the trade then they can, as it says the Cowboys are considering the trade.

This trade would be good for the Rams, as it would leave us to pick whoever we like at 2 except McFadden, who isnt really being considered because of Steven Jackson. At the moment this would mean the Rams take Chris Long, although Jake Long is making a push with his combine numbers and players like Dorsey and Gholston are also up there

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins/Cowboys Trade?

An ideal situation, as it allows to select Chris Long.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the Dolphins pass on the trade, Jones will be gunning for the Rams spot. He's going to get McFadden come heck or high water.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I think in order to trade into the Rams spot, he'd have to give us the Cowboy's two 1st rounders, their 2nd and 3rd rounder, just to make that kind of move worthwhile to us.

Even then, I'm still not convinced that's worth it for the Rams.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    I think in order to trade into the Rams spot, he'd have to give us the Cowboy's two 1st rounders, their 2nd and 3rd rounder, just to make that kind of move worthwhile to us.

Even then, I'm still not convinced that's worth it for the Rams.
    According to the NFL value chart, the combined picks of the cowboys (two first rd picks, and their 2nd and 3rd picks only total 1872 points while our 2nd overall pick in rd 1 is worth 2600 points .. For equal value they would have to give us both of their number ones this year, and their next year's 1st rd pick to boot. Or they could throw in a player ... say Leonard Davis and two first rounders. Big Leonard would look good playing next to Big O ...

itsguud is offline Registered User

Wow, I would love the chance, to pick up extra 1st rounders. Expecially if we could throw in BEnnett and free up some cap space...

But yeah, they HAVE to take Bennett and maybe Chanvous...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I believe that Parcells came up with the trade chart and even he says that the chart is complete bunk. It weighs the highest picks way too high, especially considering the cost to pay those high picks. I would be happy with one the scenarios laid out in another thread, both first rounders, Carpenter(young starting SLB for us) and another, maybe 2nd round pick, maybe next years first. Cowboys are darn close to a Super Bowl, so they don't need as many picks, and we can expect a low first rounder from them next year, however, the NFC East is pretty unpredictable due to it's stiff competition, so their pick could be anywhere, but I wouldn't put them in the first half of the round.

With both first rounders, we should be able to pick up both a good OT, and a fair pass rusher, not up to Long or Gholston standards, but a fair one none the less.

As for throwing in Bennett, obviously you don't like cap room, itsguud. If we released or traded him, I have no doubt that we would be losing cap space. It makes less than no sense to do that. I really can't believe that people are so against him after he had a sub par year when he was injured, and he wasn't used in the same way that made him worth the money we paid him last year to begin with. I'm a mechanical engineer, so it would be the same thing as telling me to do electrical work while I have migraines all year long. I wouldn't be good, and you wouldn't either in a situation like that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The undisclosed pick must be a first rounder, otherwise the Dolphins are getting screwed on this trade, no matter how good Barber is.
    The Dolphins would be getting screwed if it was just a first rounder as well. Dallas needs to package quite a bit to even get in the same ballpark as the value of the top overall pick, though the price tag that comes with the pick helps lower the value a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Wow, I would love the chance, to pick up extra 1st rounders. Expecially if we could throw in BEnnett and free up some cap space...
    ...except it would cost us more to move Bennett then it would to keep him. You can't just sign a guy to a huge contract one year and then ship him off the next, sorry.

keith m. klink Guest

why would the COWBOY'S trade too #1 when they could go to # 4 or # 5 . the first 3 picks don't want him .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    why would the COWBOY'S trade too #1 when they could go to # 4 or # 5 . the first 3 picks don't want him .
    Very true. But I really want this trade to happen. They can have McFadden for all we care...as long as we get Chris Long.

It benefits us if they Trade with Miami because we get Long. It helps us if they trade with us because we get 2 first round picks

keith m. klink Guest

yes i know , it would mean the ideal situation for the RAMS , but dallas won't otherpay that much , JERRY JONES is a shrewed businessman , he can deal . he is not going to give BILL PARCELLS a 6-pack of BEER for a CANDY BAR . Same as i wouldn't give you $100 dollars for a can of soda just because it helps you out. i really with the COWBOYS would make a megga deal with the DOLPHINS i'd love to see the PHINS grab a star like BARBER III and 5-6 picks in the next few years . Hell , all 3 out of 4 of my best friends love the FINS , and so does my wife . My 4th friend likes the COWBOYS .

this would be great , but don't read too much into it until the morning of the draft .