Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    starfoxx is offline Registered User

Dolphins Gave Jake Long a Deadline.

Article:
    ProFootballTalk.com - DOLPHINS GAVE JAKE LONG A DEADLINE

I've always figured the Dolphins were going to take Jake Long. My angle was the fact that the Dolphins released their starting right tackle as soon as The Tuna got their. They haven't bothered replacing the vacancy during free agency nor via trade. They have two starting outside linebackers in Jason Taylor and Joey Porter, their is no need for them to draft a Chris Long to play Outside linebacker, they can add depth to the position later in the draft.

I've always been a strong advocate for Chris Long, I see him as the next piece to are youth movement on the defensive line. I believe he can be the new face of our defense. He may not be the best pass rusher in the draft, but he excels at all aspects of the position. Stopping the run, pass rushing, dropping into coverage, tenacity, and leadership.

Peter King has reported that the dolphins have offered Jake Long a contract. It maybe less money than last years number one overalls contract, but it's his chance to be regarded as the Number one overall pick. I really hope The Tunas frugality doesn't backfire.

Chris Long is the most NFL ready player in the draft with some serious upside. We need him to start at right defensive end come week one.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins Gave Jake Long a Deadline.

Good find Foxx. I was wondering the details from over the weekend, and most of what PK says is speculation and what he's able to pry from the lying mouths of execs.

The thing is, if a contract is signed before the draft, everyone will know what the market will look like in the future. This is unlike last year where the #1 pick was the last to sign, and so there were no benchmarks.

The Phins will find someone to take the money they want to give, because someone will be smart enough to realize that this is their chance to get the most money on their first contract. Everyone else will be lower.

Now, I imagine that Jake has the most bargaining power as he's the only top candidate at their highest need position. Chris, Gholston, Dorsey and Ryan all fill needs and are skilled enough to be a top pick, but don't have the swaying power as a gaping hole in he offensive line does. I believe that Tuna REALLY wants Chris Long, but knows that Jake is the one to go with because there's virtually no chance at getting value at OT at #32. They will try to pressure Jake by going to other guys, but I think that even if a contract isn't signed, Jake will be the pick because they can't count on what they'll get later on.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Good post Teke. The Phins like Jake Long...leaving us with Chris Long. I'm excited now.

I hope Jake Long accepts this contract offer though...we need him to.

keith m. klink Guest

WHAT would your reaction be if J. LONG signed and then the RAMS went with DORSEY .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    WHAT would your reaction be if J. LONG signed and then the RAMS went with DORSEY .
    I would be extremely upset. That the Rams would pass up on Chris Long who is the biggest need for the Rams to pick up a player we already have four players in the position.

We don't have a DE and if the Rams need one. Passing up on Chris Long would be a mistake.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I would hope like hell that whoever made the call on that one knew what they were doing and were planning. I would probably wake everyone else staying in my Japanese hotel up at 4:10-4:20 in the morning with my blood curdling scream of anger, but after a few minutes, I'd calm down. Maybe.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If they could sign him for less money than the other #1's, that would be the best thing that could happen this draft. It would be interesting to see if they do sign him for less than last year, even 2 years ago, if the pick we draft demands much more money just because Jake signed for less to be the first overall.

The Texans got kudos for signing Mario Williams to like, %8.4% more than Ales Smith. If Jake Long gets signed for less than that, it would be the biggest rookie signing ever. However Reggie Bush held out for #1 overall money, in this situation however I couldn't see our pick holding out for a theoretical percentage increase.

It would also be interesting to see how pick #32 signs. New England has no pick, wich obviously bumps every pick up. I wanna to see if that pick holds out for first round money or settles for second round. The same thing would happen with the Whiners 5th, but no one cares that late it's all the same money.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think that would be the smartest move since drafting Orlando Pace number way back when.

For those of you looking to fill needs, you don't draft for one year. We have needs at both DT and DE yes, but to pass up a talent like Dorsey because the need is more important at DE doesn't make sense to me.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    I'd lose faith. Not that it may not turn out to be a great idea, turning Carriker to a DE, but at the same time, DTs have had a notorious history with us and it is just not wise for us to get another one. Dorsey is excellent, but I just feel like we'd be throwing away a safer pick. If anything, going offense, the safe pick is J. Long, going defense the safe pick is C. Long. The way I see it, we can't afford to gamble, well Linehan and whoever else wants to keep their job shouldn't want to gamble either.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I would probably wake everyone else staying in my Japanese hotel up at 4:10-4:20 in the morning with my blood curdling scream of anger, but after a few minutes, I'd calm down. Maybe.
    Man you're not kiddin'! The sight of someone running through a hotel at 4 in the morning wearing Rams' horns and screaming Banzai!!! is terrifying to say the least.

WHAT SAY YE?

Wolf is offline Registered User

If we take Dorsey, I riot. If no one is going to give Cliff Ryan a chance...just leave. lol I'm a big Ryan fan.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think that would be the smartest move since drafting Orlando Pace number way back when.

For those of you looking to fill needs, you don't draft for one year. We have needs at both DT and DE yes, but to pass up a talent like Dorsey because the need is more important at DE doesn't make sense to me.
    Understood. But I believe Chris Long is just as good, if not, a better talent than Dorsey. Their is not much of a drop off between either player. So I'm not going to lose any sleep, if we draft a stellar talent like Chris Long.

Most of the pass rush on 4-3 Defense comes from the edge rushers. I'm not going to be able to tolerate another James Hall Leonard Little year again.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Good find Foxx. I was wondering the details from over the weekend, and most of what PK says is speculation and what he's able to pry from the lying mouths of execs.

The thing is, if a contract is signed before the draft, everyone will know what the market will look like in the future. This is unlike last year where the #1 pick was the last to sign, and so there were no benchmarks.

The Phins will find someone to take the money they want to give, because someone will be smart enough to realize that this is their chance to get the most money on their first contract. Everyone else will be lower.

Now, I imagine that Jake has the most bargaining power as he's the only top candidate at their highest need position. Chris, Gholston, Dorsey and Ryan all fill needs and are skilled enough to be a top pick, but don't have the swaying power as a gaping hole in he offensive line does. I believe that Tuna REALLY wants Chris Long, but knows that Jake is the one to go with because there's virtually no chance at getting value at OT at #32. They will try to pressure Jake by going to other guys, but I think that even if a contract isn't signed, Jake will be the pick because they can't count on what they'll get later on.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I'd lose faith. Not that it may not turn out to be a great idea, turning Carriker to a DE, but at the same time, DTs have had a notorious history with us and it is just not wise for us to get another one. Dorsey is excellent, but I just feel like we'd be throwing away a safer pick. If anything, going offense, the safe pick is J. Long, going defense the safe pick is C. Long. The way I see it, we can't afford to gamble, well Linehan and whoever else wants to keep their job shouldn't want to gamble either.
    I agree. Forcing Carriker to bounce back and forth between DE/NT is not a good idea. If we draft Dorsey and move carriker to end, He would have to shed 20 pounds at least. Carriker is built like a tree stump. More suited for the inside of the 4-3 defense or playing DE in 3-4 defense.

I say let him stay at nose tackle so he can bully opposing linemen with his Thighceps.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Dolphins Gave Jake Long a Deadline.

where is the info on the deadline?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast