Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins Negotiating With Gholston Too

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find it strange that Miami are negotiating with Gholston before they do with C. Long?
    I think that's because of the 3-4 defense they run. They must think that Gholston is better suited to be a 3-4 outside linebacker than Chris Long, I think I'd agree with that. As a 4-3 defensive end though, I have a clear preference for Long - which is why he would be the perfect player for us right now. Our biggest need, the best player at that position in the draft - Chris Long is the perfect fit for us.

I agree with Avenger that they're just trying to compare the contracts and I also think the Dolphins have a preference for Jake Long unless the difference in contract size is a lot (which I'm sure it won't be - both players' agents will base it on last year's #1 and be unwilling to budge much). Ultimately getting the player you want outweighs minor differences in contract sizes - Parcell is not going to be penny-pinching he's going to take his guy.

Things are looking good for us right now. I don't think the Dolphins will succeed in trading away the #1 and I doubt they will take Chris Long - looks like there is a good chance he could be ours. If he's there we damn well better take him or I'll be mad as hell (as will, I suspect, a large percentage of the fan base).

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find it strange that Miami are negotiating with Gholston before they do with C. Long?
    Not really. I've mentioned in a couple places that I think Vernon Gholston is a much better fit for 3-4 outside linebacker than Chris Long is. Long's speed is good but not great for a defensive end, which puts it on the slow end for a linebacker. After all, even in the 3-4, the team mixes up who is rushing and who drops into coverage. If I were them, I'd be concerned about how Long, who runs a 4.7 40, would match up against a tight end or runningback in coverage. I still think Long is the better 4-3 defensive end, but that doesn't really help the Dolphins.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wonder if the Dolphins negotiating with Gholston will begin to put an end to the opinion that he'd be a reach for the Rams with the second overall pick...
    I'm not going to say he is a reach, but he may be a boom or bust type of guy. Also maybe its the fact they run the 3-4 and he will probably be the most beastlike there.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Things are looking good for us right now. I don't think the Dolphins will succeed in trading away the #1 and I doubt they will take Chris Long - looks like there is a good chance he could be ours. If he's there we damn well better take him or I'll be mad as hell (as will, I suspect, a large percentage of the fan base).
    Totally agree with your analysis RofD. I, like the majority of the Clan, firmly believe that if Chris Long is there for us then we gotta take him. Yet somehow I just can't shake this feeling that the Rams braintrust (be nice out there) have got either Jake Long or Glen Dorsey at the top two slots on their draft board. Be prepared for anything as these are the Rams we're talkin' about here.

WHAT SAY YE?

harrydog is offline Registered User

Without going back through countless posts to verify, it seems to me that I've read more about the Rams showing interest in Jake Long, Gholston and Dorsey than they have in Chris Long. Could just be my faulty memory, but it just seems they've been a bit more quiet regarding Chris.
    I could be wrong of course. But if I'm right, that is a very good sign that it's really Chris that their most interested in.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Exactly Harry... it's called smokescreen. When you're second and the team above you is projected to get the guy you really want you make the obligatory good comments about him but you gush over other guys to make them change their mind/go another direction. If Chris Long is there you can't pass him up considering our weakness at DE, I don't care who else is there.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    If Chris Long is there you can't pass him up considering our weakness at DE, I don't care who else is there.
    Goodness! Last week EDM sold me solid on taking VG. Now I'm going back to CL? :x

TX said it best, I suppose. This is going to be a GREAT draft for the Rams. Period.

:bash: GO RAMS WITH 2ND PICK!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

There could be multiple reasons. For one, you announce to the first guy that he is replaceable and he has
    reason to be willing to come to terms or lose the first spot.

There is no cost in talking to multiple picks, after all.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-11-2008 at 06:20 AM.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Its obvious why MIA is talking to VG before C. Long. Parcells is going in order on his draft board. Hummmm..... I think he knows a little something about talent on the edge. Take heed Rams ...please...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12