• 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By FestusRam
  • 1 Post By turbofargo
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Donald is draft's top defender

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Donald is draft's top defender

By Louis Riddick

Before I go into my explanation of why I believe Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donalddeserves to be considered the best defensive prospect in the 2014 draft, I must make a few things perfectly clear. Yes, I am a proud University of Pittsburgh alumni, Class of 1991, and I have genuinely enjoyed my opportunities to talk with Donald during his Pitt career.
    But, make no mistake: I have never had any problems telling it like it is when it comes to football analysis and evaluation, so I am going to shoot you straight when it comes to Donald and why I think he has the potential to achieve greatness in the NFL -- and why he could be the most underrated player in this draft class.
    Reason No. 1: He has crushed the postseason draft process

Donald was named the Most Outstanding Overall Player at the Reese's Senior Bowl practices during the Alabama Power Practice Awards ceremony at the annual Player's Banquet. Having attended those practices in person, I can tell you that during the closely scrutinized, one-on-one, pass-rush-drill portion of the practices, only Notre Dame OT Zack Martin and center Weston Richburg of Colorado State were able to hold their own when matched against him -- and both of those guys will likely have their names called within the first two rounds of the NFL draft next week. The rest of the offensive linemen matching up against him, to put it bluntly, got embarrassed by Aaron's combination of speed, functional power/explosiveness and superior technique/hand use.

--Its from an ESPN Insider article and that is all I could get, since I am not a subscriber. Anyone who is and wants to fill in the rest go for it.

I have been slowly and surely becoming a Donald fan. I keep thinking a line with Long Donald Brockers Quinn would be outstanding.

I think we can do a Robinson/Matthews, Donald and get our back end guy in the 2nd. Either Ward or Bucannon.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Donald is draft's top defender

My guy Louis! He's a very very good scout/talent evaluator. Seems me and him agree that Donald is a top 5 pick.
    turbofargo likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

If we ended up trading back with Atlanta, I would not be surprised to see him taken, if the 5 are gone, and maybe even if they are there.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    only Notre Dame OT Zack Martin and center Weston Richburg of Colorado State were able to hold their own when matched against him -- and both of those guys will likely have their names called within the first two rounds of the NFL draft next week.

Anyone else given thought to possibly getting center Weston Richburg in the 3rd round ?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Anyone else given thought to possibly getting center Weston Richburg in the 3rd round ?
    I think he is drafted in the second round, so no.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    My guy Louis! He's a very very good scout/talent evaluator. Seems me and him agree that Donald is a top 5 pick.
    Guess he still cant be "under the radar" then.
    Nick likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would be thrilled to get Donald and I've made no secret of this in other threads. The fact that little has been said about it in the media makes me feel good, because they are usually wrong. I will say if we get him we can recreate the Fearsome Foursome. Fisher and Williams have to like what he offers which is getting to the QB. If we trade back we may wind up drafting him and then hoping to get a an OT at #13. Having said this teams will have to overcome his size which in today's NFL is no small matter (no pun intended). Whatever, I'm tired of this guessing game, let's get this draft going already!

As for the post about taking Richburg, I agree he'd be great to get, but he may not last until round 3 and then we'd have too many C prospects,which is a nice thing, but we're paying Scott Wells a lot of money and Jeff Fisher isn't a big OL drafter in the early rounds according to history. Aside from Wells we have Barnes and Jones which would create a logjam, unless we find a trading partner.

Go Rams!

Trying not to get too hyped up to get him. Last time I wanted a DT really bad and hoped against hope we would take him was Suh. Ended up with Bradford as the pick. That said I really want him on our team.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Short, light DTs. Meh. I liked on ESPN this weekend they compared him to Warren Sapp without the dominating physical presence. I just don't see how Donald fits this defense.

Richburg is likely the 1st C taken in the draft. Jones doesn't appear to be seen as a C prospect anymore so I don't see why anyone would include him in a list of centers.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Short, light DTs. Meh. I liked on ESPN this weekend they compared him to Warren Sapp without the dominating physical presence. I just don't see how Donald fits this defense.
    Donald is a better fit for this defense than Jadeveon Clowney or even Khalil Mack. We have a big NT in Michael Brockers who is 6'6 320+ lbs. Next to him we have no interior pass rushing presence what so ever. Inside disruption is the quickest and most dominant way to ruin a game. Imagine Donald next to him playing 3 tech? He'd be an absolute animal.

I could only imagine the amount of 1on1's he'd get because of Chris Long and Robert Quinn. They'd all help each other in the sense that you're never safe leaving any of these guys with a 1v1.
    turbofargo likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM