eauclare is offline Registered User

Don't believe the Rams

If they draft Dorsey, AC IS going to be moved to DE. It would make no sense to draft Dorsey and keep AC at DT.

AC would need to shed weight, but since he is coming off surgery, DE may help him. It is his natural position and he doesn't have to take the beating he does playing inside.

I know the Rams say this won't happen, but it will. Otherwise, you haven't addressed the DE spot. Go get a OLB edge rusher in round 2 or if they're lucky, get Jerod Mayo.

Plug him inside and move WW outside. Again, the Rams have said WW will not be moved. Now that they have someone who can play MLB, watch him get moved.

How does this front seven sound: LL, Ryan, Dorsey and AC. LB's are Pisa, Mayo and WW. Not bad.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Don't believe the Rams

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post
    If they draft Dorsey, AC IS going to be moved to DE. It would make no sense to draft Dorsey and keep AC at DT.

AC would need to shed weight, but since he is coming off surgery, DE may help him. It is his natural position and he doesn't have to take the beating he does playing inside.

I know the Rams say this won't happen, but it will. Otherwise, you haven't addressed the DE spot. Go get a OLB edge rusher in round 2 or if they're lucky, get Jerod Mayo.

Plug him inside and move WW outside. Again, the Rams have said WW will not be moved. Now that they have someone who can play MLB, watch him get moved.

How does this front seven sound: LL, Ryan, Dorsey and AC. LB's are Pisa, Mayo and WW. Not bad.
    Just because this scenario makes perfect sense -- don't expect everyone to agree with you ,,,

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm not saying it won't happen... I'm just still waiting and wondering on a question that should be obvious to anyone thinking of playing AC at his "natural" DE position.

He played in college at 293 or so. He played last year up near 310. How much of an edge threat do you really see him at weighing that much. He does not have the athletic ability of Julius Peppers who weighs in around 280 or so. By all means, he can bull rush his way to the QB from the 4-3 DE spot, but that is far from what his natural position is.

He played a two gap DE in college and now plays a two gap DT for the Rams. I don't foresee him having the effectiveness on the outside that some people think he'll have. Would he create some space for Spoon to blitz through? Yeah, which is great, believe me, but he'll only get his sacks plowing through guys, not around them.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He bulked up because the Rams asked him to put on weight to play DT. He could just as easily lose the weight.

I understand that Tx, but that would still leave him at 293. You can't tell me that at 293 he'd be a speed threat unless he was still playing DT. Hell, that's a standard weight for a 4-3 pass rushing DT. Just like Dorsey, who plays in the 290's! Dorsey's better than Carriker, I have no issue saying that. However, the fact is, they both play the same position. They're both suited for the same duties. If you think Carriker could play outside on a 4-3 line, you should be able to see Dorsey doing it too. I can't, unless it's a goalline package and we're putting all of our DT's in.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't think Carriker has ever been just real speedy. I think he ran a 4.9 40 or something like that, which is why some people would argue about whether defensive end really is his "natural position". His natural position might actually be 3-4 defensive end, which is neither here nor there in our scheme.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The only way I see this making sense, is if we drafted a true pass rusher with starting potential at some point as well.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The only way I see this making sense, is if we drafted a true pass rusher with starting potential at some point as well.
    EXACTLY! I don't see how people think we need ANOTHER DT. When we have no DE. I don't think Carriker would be good at DE. We would be better off leaving Hall there before we move Carriker. Carriker probably isnt fast enough to move like a REAL DE.

Drafting Dorsey does two things...moves Carriker to a position he's not that good at, or completely benching him because Clifton Ryan will probably beat him out there.

Carriker is good where he is. Why draft Dorsey (someone who's injuries are still a bit of a concern, but not a major one) when you already have two young DT's who have shown some promise.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post

I think you're a little McShay on this one.

Firstly, I can't disagree more with you when you say that Carriker's "natural position" is DE. There's a reason why he doesn't play there in the pros. I assure you, with his frame, if the couching staff thought when they drafted him that he would be best suited as a run-stopping DE, that's the position he'd be playing. He's only played on the inside in the NFL, and everything prior to is irrelevant as it's at a lesser speed against lesser opponents. Clearly, the coaches thought his best position was inside. Notice how you haven't heard even a whisper from the coaching staff about a potential move over to the defensive end position?

Drafting Glenn Dorsey, therefore, does little to address our exterior pass rush. Haslett has said that Carriker's best position will be UT. To move him out of his best position for another broken and unproven NFL rookie is foolhardy.

I pose you this question. If we can better address our main area of defensive concern (that being the pass rush) by selecting a player of equal value suited for defensive end, why in the world wouldn't you do so, rather than compromise the best abilities of the rest of your defensive line?

chiguy is offline Registered User

If DE was his natural position, he would've started there last year over the under producing James Hall and the injured Leonard Little. Its not like those guys played so well that the Rams decided to have Carricker play on the interior. Given our lack of pass rush, he would've moved over there the minute they figured out that Ryan could play NT.

A very good and underpublicized point Chiguy. Considering the injuries and inneffectiveness of our defensive ends last year, if Carriker could play outside, he would have last year. Instead, he played a mix of UT and NT. What does that show about the possibility of moving him outside if we get Dorsey?