Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Don't count out Holmgren to make a push for No. 1

Don't count out Holmgren to make a push for No. 1
    Posted on: April 13, 2010 1:51 pm
    NFL Draft Blog by Rob Rang

As much as it would seem a lock for the Rams to just keep the first pick and fulfill their need for a young quarterback with Sam Bradford, league sources tell me that the Cleveland Browns are internally discussing making a significant offer in an attempt to get the first pick and take Bradford, themselves.

Trading out of the No. 1 pick is rarely feasible. The financial constraints that come with having the first pick are so much that teams are usually hesitant to even consider the possibility.

The 2010 draft, however, is unique in several ways.

The talent in this class means that the Rams could truly rebuild their roster quickly if they were to get an offer of 3-4 high draft selections in exchange for the No. 1 pick.

Next, you have a team president in Mike Holmgren who is looking to make a splash... and with five picks among this year's first 100 (7, 38, 71, 85 and 92) he has plenty of flexibility.

Perhaps most importantly, while almost all talent evaluators believe that Bradford is the clear cut top QB and that there is a significant gap between he and the other QBs in this class there is talk that the Rams don't feel this way. They are thought to be quite high on a few of the other quarterbacks of this class, especially Texas' Colt McCoy.

Mike Holmgren and his hand-picked general manager Tom Heckert, however, are thought to be exceptionally high on Bradford.

The most realistic scenario remains the Rams staying put and taking Bradford.

They're remaining at No. 1 is not the mortal lock, I'm told, that having this pick typically is...

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Don't count out Holmgren to make a push for No. 1

"while almost all talent evaluators believe that Bradford is the clear cut top QB and that there is a significant gap between he and the other QBs in this class there is talk that the Rams don't feel this way."

There is? Where?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Sure, you are going to want a fortune for the #1 pick, but seriously, I'll give it to them for their #7 pick, #38, #85 and next year's 1. I doubt that it adds up to 3000 points, but it's possible we could get that for our #1 pick, and not have to pay all that money for it either.
    I believe!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Ok, but if we drop to #7 who are we drafting? Not Bradford, or Suh or McCoy...so who is our first round selection? Clausen? I hope not...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Sure, you are going to want a fortune for the #1 pick, but seriously, I'll give it to them for their #7 pick, #38, #85 and next year's 1. I doubt that it adds up to 3000 points, but it's possible we could get that for our #1 pick, and not have to pay all that money for it either.
    Hmm, so instead of Bradford, we get.....

#7 - Berry/Haden/Morgan/Bryant/Spiller/Clausen
    #38 - McCoy/Matthews/Dunlap/Washington/Alualu/Best

plus our own 2nd, #85, and next year a pair of 1's. If they're not sold on Bradford as the ONLY option, then this is a nice plan B.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Ok, but if we drop to #7 who are we drafting? Not Bradford, or Suh or McCoy...so who is our first round selection? Clausen? I hope not...
    No, we trade out of getting one of the top three, but we gain a lot of flexibility. We could trade down again for Clausen buyer. We could go for one of, if not our top rated DE, arguably a bigger need than DT. We could pick up Dez Bryant. We gain a lot of possible moves.
    I believe!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Either we have a deal in place to move #7, or they can have the #1 for their entire draft minus the #7. And their best DT.

ludairv is offline Registered User

no way they do this deal...they have enough holes as it is...that would set back that franchise even more...+ dropping that far back eliminates are best options at players to fill our biggest needs...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I was hoping in my dreams for a deal that would include a promising young player or key solid vet to help compensate for the weak FA market this year as well as picks for the future. The Browns roster isn't exactly loaded with either type of player that they'd be likely to part with,imo. Still, it's an interesting idea.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    "while almost all talent evaluators believe that Bradford is the clear cut top QB and that there is a significant gap between he and the other QBs in this class there is talk that the Rams don't feel this way."

There is? Where?

Oh no, have the voices in my head been spreading rumors again?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

whoops sorry guys, i let this rumor slip....good thing i don't know squat about what the rams are thinking

Azul, while I would like some proven players too, with this year's draft being the deepest in years thanks to a number of seniors coming back last year and juniors coming out this year, I'll be happy to take picks this year.
    I believe!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

If there is even a modicum of truth concerning this report about Holmgren's interest in Bradford then it is obvious what we should do, NOTHING!!

Guys, there isn't a better evaluator of quarterbacks in the entire NFL than Mike Holmgren. Everywhere he's been he has either helped to develop Qbs (Montana) or he's traded for and then developed them (Favre and Hasselcrack).

If he is even the slightest bit interested in doing a deal like this it means that Mr. Sam Bradford has passed muster and Holmie's scrutiny and this is all that I need to know.

I say stay put and take the Okie. Afterall in this instance( and for one of the only times) Oklahoma is OK.

WHAT SAY YE?