RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Don't rule out the Rams taking a QB in Round 1

Don't rule out the Rams taking a QB in Round 1

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    04/19/2006

Columnist Jeff Gordon
    (E-mail a "Letter to Gordo")

The build-up to this NFL Draft is shifting into hyperdrive -– thanks to the three marquee quarterbacks jockeying for position with would-be employers.

And, yes, the Rams could have to make a choice on one of them with the 11th overall pick in the draft.

In earlier mock drafts, The Sporting News had the Rams taking Texas megastar Vince Young. Other experts believe Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler could be there for them in the first round instead -– and that Rams coach Scott Linehan couldn’t pass him up.

Here are the key teams picking ahead of the Rams and how their drafts are shaping up, from the quarterback perspective:

1. Houston: The Texans still believe in David Carr, so they will either take Reggie Bush or, if another team makes a preposterous offer, trade down in the draft. The fact the Texans haven’t been eager to talk money with Bush makes you wonder if they are hoping for the latter scenario.

2. New Orleans: The Saints seemed like a mortal lock to take Matt Leinart until they traded for Drew Brees. Now they are still feigning interest in Leinart, but it is unimaginable they would pay both. A trade-down within the first round is a real possibility.

3. Tennessee: The Titans seem to be running off Steve McNair and they will have their pick of the QBs unless another team leapfrogs ahead of them with a deal. Young’s mobility would remind Tennessee fans of a young McNair and the front office seems smitten by him. But offensive coordinator Norm Chow is trying to convince Jeff Fisher than Leinart, his former USC pupil, is a better pick.

Leinart harbors some hope that another team will acquire Houston’s pick and take him first overall, which is where he would have gone in the 2005 draft. NFL insiders figured he ditched agent Leigh Steinberg for Tom Condon because Condon has the juice to broker such a trade-up.

Did we mention that Condon also represents Brees?

4. New York Jets: Shoulder woes cut down quarterback Chad Pennington, so the team is mulling possible replacements -– other than newcomer Patrick Ramsey. Playing in windswept Giants Stadium, they see the value in adding a strong-armed thrower.

Cutler, for his part, told the New York Post he would be up for the challenge. “You're gonna have pressure anywhere you go as a rookie quarterback drafted in the first round,” he said. “New York's obviously one of the bigger media markets in the world. I think it'll be fun. They've got a great owner that's backing the team; it's a place that's looking up.”

5. Green Bay: Brett Favre is still holding the team hostage with his indecision about 2006. And the Packers invested a fair amount in ’05 draftee Aaron Rodgers, so draftniks expect them to fill another of their glaring needs with this pick

6. San Francisco: The ***** spent a fortune on Alex Smith last year, so they have to see that project through -– even though Smith terrified the Bay Area with his turnover-prone play as a rookie. Perhaps dominant tight end Vernon Davis, a possibility with this pick, could help settle him down.

7. Oakland: The Raiders signed Aaron Brooks, who has the arm strength to exploit the excellent receiving corps and play Al Davis’ vertical game. They also like second-year quarterback Andrew Walter, which could sway the internal voting against drafting Young.

FoxSports.com predicts Oakland will stay put at No. 7 and take safety Michael Huff. Scouts Inc. has the Raiders taking Young, as does NFL.com. The Raiders scheduled workouts for Leinart, just to keep their options open.

8. Buffalo: The Bills saw encouraging things from Kelly Holcomb last season and they may take another look at J.P. Losman as well. Most experts expect them to fill other needs.

9. Detroit: The Lions still must get Joey Harrington off the books, preferably with a trade. Jon Kitna is the quarterback for now, pushed by fellow newcomer Josh McCown. It’ll be fun to see if offensive coordinator Mike Martz can get McCown to the Next Level.

10. Arizona: Having given up on McCown, the Gridbirds may go for a quarterback to develop behind Kurt Warner -– a la Eli Manning. The latest NFL.com mock draft has Cutler heading to the Valley of the Sun. Mel Kiper Jr. agreed in his most recent mock draft.

Overall, there are 15 to 20 outstanding prospects for the first 11 picks. The Rams are assured of getting a top-notch player. But will it be a quarterback?

If they do have to make a choice on Young or Cutler -– which is still a possibility, based on how other teams view the draft prospects -– it will be fun to watch what happens.

RamsFan16

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: Don't rule out the Rams taking a QB in Round 1

[QUOTE=RamsFan16]Don't rule out the Rams taking a QB in Round 1 )

I WILL IF I WANT TO!:tongue:

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I just can't see Denny Green taking a qb at 10 for the following reasons:
    1.) Green's already coming off 2 losing years; he needs to win now and a rookie qb ain't gonna help.

2.) With all the money spent on The Edge and a brittle Warner, how can they pass on Winston Justice if he's there?

3.) Az major problems are in both lines, this should be the area they address in the first round.

WHAT SAY YE?
    P.S. It's looking more and more like Cutler (or even Young) will be there when the Rams pick. Hope that some other club will pay a lot to trade up.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree that the cards wont take a qb and i will bet anything that the rams wont either. We are simply trying to drum up interest in the 11.

rammming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Maybe we can trade out of 11 if Jay is on the board.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

B][/B][QUOTE=RAMarkable]I just can't see Denny Green taking a qb at 10 for the following reasons:
    1.) Green's already coming off 2 losing years; he needs to win now and a rookie qb ain't gonna help.

2.) With all the money spent on The Edge and a brittle Warner, how can they pass on Winston Justice if he's there?
    i could see the lions or bills grabbing him but if he gets past them they should take him,they have weapons for the QB`s just need to protect the QB more so that he can find them!

3.) Az major problems are in both lines, this should be the area they address in the first round.

agreed,they should go heavy on O and D linemen in the draft!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    Three of the Cardinals' five losses last season came in games where the team had to depend on Josh McCown and John Navarre to lead them because Kurt Warner was not on the field.

Now, McCown is gone, and Navarre is not ready to be a back-up that will see 3-4 games. The Cardinals would be making a mistake to depend on Warner for the full season, which is why a capable back-up (and face of the future) is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable

Well I think if Justice is there, he's the pick. But I'm wondering if Justice will really be there. I currently have him projected at Buffalo, who is in bigger need of an OT than the Cardinals.

As for the other line, I'm not convinced the Cardinals need to spend a first round pick on an upgrade there. They have an excellent DE combo in Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor, and also signed Kendrick Clancy to start next to Darnell Dockett at DT.

I think if Justice is gone, and Huff and Davis are off the board, the Cards go Cutler.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick i hear you loud and clear that they could use a capable backup. I just dont see a rookie filling that role.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NJRAMFAN is offline Registered User

looks as if rams are gonna trade down , get their man in Ty Hill or Manny Lawson around 17 or 18 and get more value in 2nd or 3rd round? any thoughts?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Nick i hear you loud and clear that they could use a capable backup. I just dont see a rookie filling that role.
    Personally, I think a rookie like Cutler would fill that role much better than (1) John Navarre or (2) any vet they could find available right now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

"Personally, I think a rookie like Cutler would fill that role much better than (1) John Navarre or (2) any vet they could find available right now."

I dunno, Nick, I still think that Denny will go for either Justice or Ngata at pick 10. He could always get a rookie qb like B. Croyle, O. Jacobs or the guy from Oregon Kendall "Somebodyorother" in a later round. Let's remember that his owner Bill (Bleepin') Bidwell has a track record of only allowing 3 yrs. of losing then the axe falls. This is what happened to D. McGinnis, V. Tobin and even Buddy Ryan only got two years of losing before getting fired. Denny Green must win this year or he's out the door.

WHAT SAY YE?

P.S. Why is it when you quote a post it always has a nice colored background and sorta stands out, whereas my attempts at quoting a post is rather crude looking at best? Any technical help is greatly appreciated.