Richbert88 is online now Registered User

Don't tell me the RAMs couldn't go 3 years....

on this promising young 26 year old OG/OT from a division rival. IMO, this front office gets points deducted for this. I'll need to see some outrageous numbers for me not too.

Seahawks, Willis agree to deal
    Comment Email Print Share
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Archive

One of the most sought-after young offensive lineman in the free-agent pool, Ray Willis has agreed to return to the Seattle Seahawks, and will sign a two-year deal with the team.

Financial details of the contract, confirmed by a team source and a source close to Willis, were not yet available.

Willis 26, had never started a game before last season. But he played in and started all 16 games for the Seahawks, splitting his time between right guard and right tackle. The '08 season proved to the skeptics that Willis was a prototype power-side blocker, capable of handling either position on a full-time basis.

In his first three seasons, Willis appeared in only six games, including just one appearance in his first two years in Seattle. But injuries and his development as a dependable strong-side blocker moved him into the lineup.

For his career, the former Florida State star and fourth-round pick of Seattle in the 2005 draft, has appeared in just 22 games. But the Seahawks, along with other teams, felt his best football was ahead of him.

It is likely that Willis will move into the lineup at right guard in 2009. But retaining him provides the Seahawks depth and experience on its blocking units. Seattle might also be planning for the long-term, and the eventual retirement of Pro Bowl left tackle Walter Jones at some point in the not too distant future. When Jones retires, it is expected that current starting right tackle Sean Locklear will move to the left side, opening a spot at right tackle for Willis.

Willis visited in recent weeks with the Washington Redskins and the Oakland Raiders, and several more teams had attempted to line up trips for him. The demand for Willis, though, likely prompted Seattle officials to ramp up their pursuit of him.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -03-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Semper Fi!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Don't tell me the RAMs couldn't go 3 years....

Well it depends on the contract. Right now we can't even afford a fullback, so if we had to shell out idk 3-6 millionish on this guy then no we couldn't go three years. Even if it hurts a rival we have to look at if it helps our team.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Signing a player is a two way street and they are in the drivers seat. Several teams called this guy and never made it beyond that point. Two teams had him visit but still couldn't get a deal done. The Rams could have offered him 3, 4 or even a 10 year contract but if he doesn't want to come here he isn't going to sign.

Plus... we are broke.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

IMO Rams gonna take 2-3 years to rebuild, too many holes!!!!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Signing a player is a two way street and they are in the drivers seat. Several teams called this guy and never made it beyond that point. Two teams had him visit but still couldn't get a deal done. The Rams could have offered him 3, 4 or even a 10 year contract but if he doesn't want to come here he isn't going to sign.

Plus... we are broke.

Agreed. It's very possible that we weren't even on his radar. Plus, we still have some up and coming guards on our roster as well.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

He looks very interesting. However I believe that the Rams are focused on other needs at the moment, plus sadly they are probably focused at the present moment on trying to trade hold seeing they only have about 8 days from now to cut him before they have to shell out his bonus. I find it interresting how everyone is saying we are broke when in fact we will create more cap space when we cut or trade Holt. Let us not forget that the Rams have yet to sign Atogwe signing him to a long term deal and probably back loading it will favor the cap hit for this year. I am no cap expert, by any means, but you can clearly see here that there is some hope and room to not only sign Butler but also bring in a F.B and possibly a D.T or M.L.B and still have enough room for our rookie class. I also do believe their maybe other cuts coming as well. They have not gone through their second wave of free agency so I for one can not wait.

Go Rams 09

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

He would have been a good guy to get depending on the money. I will wait until I see what their master plan is for OT before deducting any points. If they keep Pace this year I will not deduct a single point. Keeping Pace and getting this guy would have been a ton of money spent on OT in a year we don't have the extra $'s to spend.

I know Pace is LT and this guy is a RT. But we still have Barron and will likely take an OT at the latest 3rd round this year.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    He looks very interesting. However I believe that the Rams are focused on other needs at the moment, plus sadly they are probably focused at the present moment on trying to trade hold seeing they only have about 8 days from now to cut him before they have to shell out his bonus. I find it interresting how everyone is saying we are broke when in fact we will create more cap space when we cut or trade Holt. Let us not forget that the Rams have yet to sign Atogwe signing him to a long term deal and probably back loading it will favor the cap hit for this year. I am no cap expert, by any means, but you can clearly see here that there is some hope and room to not only sign Butler but also bring in a F.B and possibly a D.T or M.L.B and still have enough room for our rookie class. I also do believe their maybe other cuts coming as well. They have not gone through their second wave of free agency so I for one can not wait.

Go Rams 09
    If i understand the NFL Cap correctly & I doubt that I do, The League will not allow contracts to be signed if they exceed the team's cap figure at any point. So until we actually cut/trade Holt or Pace, all signings have to conform to what we currently have available.

So you're probably right in the long run but with Butler pending & looking at a FB FA, we didn't have a lot of wriggle room without giving someone guaranteed money in the form of pro-rated bonus.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

WE should have signed EVERYONE!!! I hate this new FO!!!

/END Sarcasm

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    If i understand the NFL Cap correctly & I doubt that I do, The League will not allow contracts to be signed if they exceed the team's cap figure at any point. So until we actually cut/trade Holt or Pace, all signings have to conform to what we currently have available.

So you're probably right in the long run but with Butler pending & looking at a FB FA, we didn't have a lot of wriggle room without giving someone guaranteed money in the form of pro-rated bonus.
    I have to agree that unfortunately I do not know if the league allows you to go over the cap before the start of at least pre-season. I do know that it is possible in the N.H.L I do not know if this is the case in the N.F.L I am however very optimistic about my first comment. As looks like some of it has already happened. I for one totally love this new F.O.

Go rams 09

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

Now let's view this issue in light of Pace being released. Having a strong productive young OLman who can play OG or RT would come in handy about now, even if the Rams were planning on drafting an OT with the #2 pick overall. He can play OG. He can start if needed for the rookie to come up to speed. He's there when Barron leaves. He's insurance in case of an OT injury. He can start at OG until needed. Even if they planned on taking an OT with a later pick, this would have been a smart move. Insurance.

Three days after he becomes a non issue, Pace is gone. Pretty much takes care of the "don't have the cap room" argument.

This isn't about "signing every UFA". It's not a "he didn't want to be here" issue. If he fits your plan, you go after him. Phones, pretty simple thing to use.

I am anxious to see what it is that the FO has planned, because honestly, this looks like an oversight to me. Willis at the least deserved a look considering what was about to happen.
    Semper Fi!