throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    schut39 is offline Registered User

Don't we have to take Curry now?

Being in the situation that we are in, don't we have to take Curry with our first round pick now? I mean, I haven't heard any news about us being interested in any linebacker in free agency, so obviously we will have to get one in the draft if we don't fill that need in free agency or if we want to move Spoon to the weak side. In this years draft, it seems that there will be quite a difference in the linebackers that we could get in round 1 compared to the ones we could get in round 2. Aaron Curry is just a much better overall player than the rest and possibly the best player in the draft.

We also upgraded our line by signing Brown, and we might keep Pace, but no one knows as of right now. It just doesn't seem like our biggest need is the offensive line anymore. The skill between the offensive linemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds this year isn't as large as the one at the linebacker position. In round 2 there could be several good tackles left such as Meredith, Beatty, Loadholt, and others that we could draft.

So basically, I think that we may just have to take Curry in this draft if we don't do anything in free agency about the linebacker position. What do you guys think?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Don't we have to take Curry now?

As much as I WANT to draft Curry, I don't think we HAVE to draft Curry.

Assuming we go with an OT or Crabtree with the #2 pick.........worst case scenario, our LB corp is Draft (SAM), Spoon (MIKE), Pisa (WILL) with some combo of Vobora, Chamberlain, Grant, & Culberson in reserve. No upgrades obviously, but not out of the question either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    As much as I WANT to draft Curry, I don't think we HAVE to draft Curry.

Assuming we go with an OT or Crabtree with the #2 pick.........worst case scenario, our LB corp is Draft (SAM), Spoon (MIKE), Pisa (WILL) with some combo of Vobora, Chamberlain, Grant, & Culberson in reserve. No upgrades obviously, but not out of the question either.
    Even if we might not have to draft him, I think we would anyways due to the huge need at linebacker, and considering the fact that Spags is a defensive minded coach.

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Even if we might not have to draft him, I think we would anyways due to the huge need at linebacker, and considering the fact that Spags is a defensive minded coach.
    Granted, there is a huge need at LB. But, of course, there is a huge need at OT, too. And yes, Spags is a D-minded coach; but Linehan was an O-minded coach and spent all 3 of his 1st round picks on Defensive players (Hill, Carriker, Long); and Martz spent 5 of his first 6 first rounders on D guys (Lewis, Arch, Pickett, Thomas, Kennedy). So maybe Spags does, maybe he doesn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well I'm not going to argue with someone that was able to drink beer before I was even born, but you do have a point and it could go either way. The major reason that I think we will get him is the skill differences between 1st and 2nd rounders as I stated before.

Well I'm not going to argue with someone that was able to drink beer before I was even born, but you do have a point and it could go either way. The major reason that I think we will get him is the skill differences between 1st and 2nd rounders as I stated before.
    A. Dang, I feel old.
    B. Not a big drinker, so I'll take your word on the beer.
    C. I agree. Assuming neither Maulauga or Laurinaitis fall to #35, there is a huge dropoff from 1st round to 2nd round MIKE talent.

Again, I am a big advocate of Curry with our #2 pick. However, I could live with either of the OTs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A. Dang, I feel old.
    B. Not a big drinker, so I'll take your word on the beer.
    C. I agree. Assuming neither Maulauga or Laurinaitis fall to #35, there is a huge dropoff from 1st round to 2nd round MIKE talent.

Again, I am a big advocate of Curry with our #2 pick. However, I could live with either of the OTs as well.
    Completely agree with C and I could also live with one of the tackles, but who knows how that may affect the rest of our draft. As I tell my dad, you aren't old until you turn 40, so you got a good 5 years left lol.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Well i can reverse what ur sayin Cuz we also need an OT.

Yea we did just get a Center. However that is nothing to help the outsides. The Brown deal means our running game will be great. But what about the money we dished out to Bulger? We need to protect him! And i really am not a fan of getting an Okay takcle when we have the chance of getting a franchise tackle.

I think it was Hub who said that in Fajole's defense if you have a big NT then u do not need a big MLB. So if we take Ron Brace in the 2nd we can take McCillop in the middle rounds like the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Well i can reverse what ur sayin Cuz we also need an OT.

Yea we did just get a Center. However that is nothing to help the outsides. The Brown deal means our running game will be great. But what about the money we dished out to Bulger? We need to protect him! And i really am not a fan of getting an Okay takcle when we have the chance of getting a franchise tackle.

I think it was Hub who said that in Fajole's defense if you have a big NT then u do not need a big MLB. So if we take Ron Brace in the 2nd we can take McCillop in the middle rounds like the 4th.
    At least we have gotten someone to help the line. We haven't done anything to help out the linebackers. And the difference between 1st and second round linebackers is much bigger than the linemen which means that if we choose to go for a linebacker in the second round he would most likely be worse at his position than a second round tackle. And you can't assume that just because we get a lineman in the second or later rounds that he is only going to be an "okay" lineman. Lots of the great linemen in this league have come from the later rounds.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I have to agree that the greatest need on this team is at the linebacker position, not at offensive tackle. As I see it, we have two guys who can start and play decent, not great, but decent at OT. I just don't see that at LB. We don't have two guys who can play, we have two HOLES at LB. TWO stinking positions that we do HAVE to fill if we are going to be competitive defensively. So in my humble opinion, we do HAVE to draft a linebacker sometime on April 25th. Now whether it is Curry or not depends on just how good our defense is going to be.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Don't we have to take Curry now?
    YES.......yes we do.

P.S.
    I'm old, so, don't argue with me.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    YES.......yes we do.

P.S.
    I'm old, so, don't argue with me.

What he said...

This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So basically, I think that we may just have to take Curry in this draft if we don't do anything in free agency about the linebacker position. What do you guys think?
    We haven't done anything at the OT position in free agency either, but that doesn't mean we have to take an OT either. Now, some will argue that with Pace on the roster, we at least have a body at LT.

But again, the same could technically be said at MLB as well. We know Witherspoon is capable of playing MLB, and we also know Draft can do it. In fact, Draft spent a significant amount of time starting at MLB for the Panthers in 2006. His LB coach at that time is now our defensive coordinator, Ken Flajole.

So no, I don't think the Rams are now forced to take Curry because they haven't yet signed a free agent linebacker.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I like Curry alot, but take the OT in the 1st.

Lets just say the Rams win just 6 games next year. That could possibly put Rams drafting around the 10th pick or even worse later in the draft.
    The franchise LT will not be there at the 10th pick or later.
    A very good or the best LB coming out of college will probably be there around the 10th pick. That position might not be a priority with a strong showing of a Rams MLB drafted this year in later rounds.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Just last year, Duane Brown and Ryan Clady were drafted after the 10th pick and they both had very good rookie years and could possibly be franchise LTs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast