Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Don't we have to take Curry now?

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Just last year, Duane Brown and Ryan Clady were drafted after the 10th pick and they both had very good rookie years and could possibly be franchise LTs.
    And the year before that, there wasn't an OT drafted between the fifth pick and 28th pick. There was only one tackle drafted in the first round of 2006.

You simply can't bank on being able to get a franchise left tackle in the next year's draft. When you have a chance to take one, it's pretty hard to pass up. In theory, you don't envision your team picking in the top 5-10 every year.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

It seems that taking a LB Curry at #2 is a stretch. I can't remember a LB going that high. Has there been a LB taken @ #2 ever? Don't get me wrong I would not be disappointed if the Rams select him. If I had to make a choice I would take B.J Raji out of Boston College(DT). Remember what Devaney said we need to get bigger on both lines. Just my opinion is all.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We haven't done anything at the OT position in free agency either, but that doesn't mean we have to take an OT either. Now, some will argue that with Pace on the roster, we at least have a body at LT.

But again, the same could technically be said at MLB as well. We know Witherspoon is capable of playing MLB, and we also know Draft can do it. In fact, Draft spent a significant amount of time starting at MLB for the Panthers in 2006. His LB coach at that time is now our defensive coordinator, Ken Flajole.

So no, I don't think the Rams are now forced to take Curry because they haven't yet signed a free agent linebacker.
    Whether Pace is on our team for the 2009 season or not the OT position is a need. That need is being created by Pace's age.

The huge need at MLB is a fans perception/opinion. What we as fans don't know is what the coaching staff thinks of our LB group.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

AH man!! You had to remind me of that Draft! Why don't just grab a sword and stab me in the heart. That would be less painfull. I am going to take a Valium and drink a beer now this early. I hope you are happy!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It seems that taking a LB Curry at #2 is a stretch. I can't remember a LB going that high. Has there been a LB taken @ #2 ever?
    I just can't grasp this line of thinking. Is there really a conversation going on in warrooms like this.....

Head Coach: Okay, what are we going to do with our #2 pick?
    GM: Well, what does our board look like?
    Head Coach: On our 10-point scale, we've got a LB at 9.8, and a OT at 8.1.
    GM: Oh my goodness, we must take the OT then.
    Head Coach: Even though he is clearer not the BPA?
    GM: Doesn't matter......you simply don't draft a LB that high!

I just don't get it. But to answer the original question........

LBs taken @#1 = Aundray Bruce, Tom Cousineau, Tommy Nobis, Chuck Bednarik, Brian Bosworth (supp.)
    LBs taken @#2 = Lavar Arrington, Kevin Hardy, Quentin Coryatt, Cornelius Bennett, Johnie Cooks, Lawrence Taylor, Les Richter
    LBs taken @#3 = Carl Banks, Chip Banks, Dick Butkus, Dan Currie

That appears to be 16 LBs that have gone in the top 3. And whether it be the Lions, us, the Chiefs, or some team trading up, some team will make Aaron Curry the 17th this April. Bank it.

But HUb, there's a lot busts on that list.

As there are at ANY position.

But HUb, are you trying to say that Curry grades out that much higher than the other prospects?

I think so; but that's nothing more than my opinion. That's why I'm fine with the Rams taking either of the other OTs.........so long as the Rams stay true to their board. If the grades between Smith/Monroe/Crabtree/Raji and Curry is insignificant, then go whatever way you feel necessary, DeSpags. But if Curry is graded significantly better, don't skip over him simply because "you don't draft LBs that high".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We need so much this is what I suggest: put a seperate post it note with each prospect's name on it.....place it on a dart board and throw. Whichever name on the post it note that the dart hits draft him. Whether it be Curry, Monroe, Smith, Crabtree, Maclin, Orakpo....doesn't matter. All would fill a big gap for this team.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Nick

The Rams need the OT ! With the Rams posibly losing Pace & Holt to salarey cap. The Rams need the Best OT in this draft & possibly another OT in this draft.
    Next year Barron is a unrestricted freeagent that I don't think the Rams will resign. Barron makes to many mistakes.
    I also think it is harder to find a franchise LT than a star LB.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

We don't have to Draft an offensive lineman in the first round in this years draft... The Offensive tackle position in this years draft is huge, there is a lot of talent to go around, we could pick up a good OT with the Second round pick

I say Draft Crabtree or Curry,
    A Michael Crabtree only comes around only so often and he can fill in for Holt when he retires
    Aaron Curry(i think thats his name) could help out much need defensive

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We haven't seen all the FA moves by the Rams yet. That being said, we cannot say definitively what our draft choice should be in terms of positions. What we can say is that there are some very elite players available to us and Aaron Curry is one of them. Jason Smith is another top quality player. My bias is towards Curry as he will fill a huge need at MLB and make an immediate impact. He will compensate to some degree our lack of a great nose tackle to clog the middle against the run, plus he will create excitement for the fans. Let's not overlook the fact that filling the EJ Dome is a big priority. As important as a truly great Left Offensive Tackle is, a big hitting MLB (read Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher) has greater marquee value.

I don't think Pace will be a salary cap casualty based on Devaney's remarks earlier. With Pace there we may be able to draft a lesser talented OT and groom him either at RT or as a back-up to Pace until he's ready to step-in.

We are on the upward direction and that's great news.

Go Rams!

MarshallMarshall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    As much as I WANT to draft Curry, I don't think we HAVE to draft Curry.

Assuming we go with an OT or Crabtree with the #2 pick.........worst case scenario, our LB corp is Draft (SAM), Spoon (MIKE), Pisa (WILL) with some combo of Vobora, Chamberlain, Grant, & Culberson in reserve. No upgrades obviously, but not out of the question either.
    I agree we don't HAVE to take Curry but, if we don't we better aquire somebody whether it's a trade or in the draft. Our current LB's on our roster are not getting the job done and hardly fit the type of LB Spags likes to use in his system. They lack tackling skills and size. IMO the LB's is one of if not the biggest weakness's the Ram's have. We desperatly need a thumper and a leader in the middle. IMO we certainly should draft Curry.

We haven't done anything at the OT position in free agency either, but that doesn't mean we have to take an OT either. Now, some will argue that with Pace on the roster, we at least have a body at LT.

But again, the same could technically be said at MLB as well. We know Witherspoon is capable of playing MLB, and we also know Draft can do it. In fact, Draft spent a significant amount of time starting at MLB for the Panthers in 2006. His LB coach at that time is now our defensive coordinator, Ken Flajole.

So no, I don't think the Rams are now forced to take Curry because they haven't yet signed a free agent linebacker.
    IMO, Having Pace (7 time pro-bowler, one of the best tackles of all time)at LT and healthy is definitly less of a problem then having Witherspoon play MLB he can play the position but not at a high level, he lacks the size to shed blocks and is below average in run stopping. IMO he would be a pro-bowl LB if we put him outside and get a big thumper in the middle. We should have a bigger desire to Draft Curry over a OT or Crabtree.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Whether Pace is on our team for the 2009 season or not the OT position is a need. That need is being created by Pace's age.

The huge need at MLB is a fans perception/opinion. What we as fans don't know is what the coaching staff thinks of our LB group.
    I think the huge need at MLB is more than a fans opinion it more along the lines of FACT. Putting spoon on the outside and getting a true MLB will instantly make our defense better. Spoon is undersized and can't get off the blocks to make plays in the run game. (It seems like I remember him getting stiff armed alot this past year and not wrapping up on guys.) Those are not habits of a " GOOD " MLB.
    We also lack size and tackling skills on the outside. PISA always gets burned in pass coverage. Draft is getting old and at best a rotation guy. I believe with the signing of Brown our biggest need is MLB.

What do you consider a " significant amount of time". I only ask because I thought Dan Morgan had a pro bowl calibur year in 06' at MLB for the Panthers. Am I having memory lapse?
    Last edited by Nick; -03-05-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: No need for 4 back to back posts

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here will be my reaction who the Rams pick in Round 1 AFTER READING IT ON THE WEB. I WON'T BE WATCHING IT THAT'S FOR SURE.

1. Rams select Aaron Curry in Rd 1 = cool
    2. Rams select Jason Smith in Rd 1 = cool
    3. Rams select Eugene Monroe in Rd 1 = cool
    4. Rams select Michael Crabtree in Rd 1 = cool
    5. Rams select Brian Orakpo in Rd 1 = cool

MarshallMarshall Guest

My bad 06' Morgan didn't play except 1 game. I had a case of memory lapse.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hey MarshallMarshall

You could have great LB's on your team , but if you don't have the D-Line to protect them they won't last long.
    I would rather take B. J. Raji in 1st than A. Curry. I think it's harder to find a star OT or DT than it is to find a star LB.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Curry for the Rams, would like be Ray Lewis to the Ravens. Lets getem!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12