Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: Dorial Green-Beckham joins Sooners

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dorial Green-Beckham joins Sooners

Dorial Green-Beckham joins Sooners
    Updated: July 3, 2014, 4:26 PM ET
    By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com

Receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, who was dismissed by Missouri in April after several off-the-field incidents, was added to Oklahoma's roster after a visit with the Sooners.

One of college football's most explosive receivers, Green-Beckham had a breakout season for the Tigers in 2013 with 59 receptions for 883 yards and 12 touchdowns as a sophomore. He was one of the nation's top recruits in the Class of 2012, ranking No. 3 on the ESPN150.

"We are pleased to welcome Dorial to the University of Oklahoma, where he is excited to continue his education and resume his playing career," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "Dorial understands the privilege and responsibilities of representing the Oklahoma football program. He is a talented young man who is eager to get to work with the rest of our team in the classroom and on the field."

A source said Green-Beckham signed with the Sooners on Wednesday and was essentially going through an orientation process on Thursday in preparation for Oklahoma's July summer school session which begins next week.

Green-Beckham is exploring if there is any way he can get a waiver from the NCAA to play this season, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Oklahoma's waiver to the NCAA on behalf of Green-Beckham will be based on an NCAA "run-off" rule. Using this rule, former LSU point guard Anthony Hickey became immediately eligible to play at Oklahoma State after being dismissed by the Tigers.

Green-Beckham's admission to Oklahoma came with specific stipulations including continued rehabilitation and drug testing, according to a source. Green-Beckham will be subject to a "zero tolerance" policy which includes any failed drug test.

Oklahoma believes it has the resources to help Green-Beckham. There was "due diligence" communication between Oklahoma and Missouri coaching staffs before Oklahoma -- including the athletic director and president's office -- approved the transfer.

The 6-foot-6 Green-Beckham was kicked out of Missouri's program after an initial suspension. His troubles included being investigated for allegedly pushing an 18-year-old Missouri student down at least four stairs. No charges were filed and the case was closed after the student and a roommate declined to press charges.

Green-Beckham also had two marijuana-related arrests during his time at Missouri.

"I appreciate this opportunity from Coach Stoops and the University of Oklahoma," Green-Beckham said in the statement issued by the university. "There are people here who will help me build a strong foundation. I've disappointed myself and others in the past. I know that I have a lot of work to do and I'm ready to get started."

The Sooners have been searching for impact players at the receiver position. Sterling Shepard was the lone proven receiver on the roster. OU was one of the finalists for Green-Beckham out of high school, as he made several visits to Norman, Oklahoma, before the 225-pound receiver eventually picked Missouri.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham joins Sooners

DGB better keep his nose clean around Stoops. If he does, I predict he will be a monster, and OU will be set for a national championship run.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

DGB was an enigma at 'Zou. Some games he was dominant (Indiana, Kentucky, A&M, Auburn) but then others (Vandy, SC, Tennessee, Ole Miss) he completely disappeared.

So where's a good place around Norman to score weed?
    ManofGod likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

punahou is offline Registered User

pretty easy actually-- its a hop skip and a ride over to Stillwater....

MACD is offline Registered User

No, Stillwater is on another planet.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Million dollar talent on a five cent head. If he puts it together and figures it out after getting kicked off Zou then great. But we've seen too many people who can't kick the herb and just keep getting in trouble.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    DGB was an enigma at 'Zou. Some games he was dominant (Indiana, Kentucky, A&M, Auburn) but then others (Vandy, SC, Tennessee, Ole Miss) he completely disappeared.

So where's a good place around Norman to score weed?
    Don't worry, the weed will find him.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

1. I can't imagine how he's going to get a waiver to play this year at OU. With the police reports filed against him and the conditions Oklahoma placed on him, it's obvious Mizzou didn't dump him for no reason.
    2. A WR needs time to develop with a QB, does he have time to do so this year if he is granted a waiver?
    3. I can't imagine he's still in Oklahoma after this season. Everyone in Missouri assumed 2014 was his final year before going to the NFL, not seeing how that changes.