Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Dorsey on the defensive over his health

By Alex Marvez
    foxsports.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - As college football's most storied defensive lineman, Glenn Dorsey knew what was coming his senior season at Louisiana State.

"Every time you go on the field, someone is trying to prove a point against you," Dorsey told FOXSports.com. "Everybody is game planning against you. You're the guy everyone is trying to beat to get their (draft) stock up."

Such attention prepared Dorsey for double-teams and chop-blocks. But nothing Dorsey experienced at LSU could ready him for the blindside hit he took at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Interviewed by a swarm of reporters, Dorsey didn't expect to get peppered with questions about his health and injury history. Multiple media outlets had reported that concerns about a stress fracture Dorsey suffered in his right tibia as a junior could affect his standing as one of the draft's top prospects.

"That was my first time hearing about that," Dorsey said. "No (NFL) team ever came back to me and said, 'We're worried about this and that.' When I get in the (interviews), of course they ask about my injuries because they want to know my history. But nobody really harps on it.

"That's why (the Combine media) caught me off-guard. It was like, 'My shin? What?' There's no problem with me. I'm healthy."

Dorsey was smiling when the interview session began. But by the time he left the podium, Dorsey was admittedly hurt, confused and angry. Roughly one-third of the questions Dorsey was asked pertained to his injury history.

"I felt like people were trying to (create) a story, which really was unfair," said Dorsey, who won four major college awards (Lombardi, Nagurski, Outland and Lott) as an LSU senior.

"People are questioning my durability. Are you kidding me? You be that marked guy every week and see if you don't get bumps and bruises. I still fought through it. I feel that shows I have a lot of heart."

Dorsey's willingness to play through various ailments without missing a start during his final two LSU seasons was considered commendable. Now, it has become a potential detriment as speculation surfaces about whether such wear-and-tear has left Dorsey more susceptible to injury in the NFL.

The scrutiny is especially great because of the exorbitant salaries given to early draft picks. Teams with the first four selections will each be doling out at least $20 million in guaranteed money.

"You want to love the kid because he's a warrior and played hurt," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "But you better make sure you're not buying damaged goods. I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying you better be sure."

If he does have medical red flags, Dorsey didn't show signs of them Tuesday morning during a pre-draft workout at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex. Dorsey zipped through running drills being conducted by renowned trainer Tom Shaw.

Dorsey, who is officially listed at 316 pounds on the NFL's web site, weighed 297 at the Combine.

"He's more explosive now," Shaw said. "When you go through a season and were injured, you've got to make strides to get back to where you were. And to get above that, you have to go above and beyond. That's what he's doing. We go twice a day and he's going hard on both sessions. He doesn't miss them."

Shaw said X-rays and MRI exams taken of Dorsey by doctors affiliated with his training program were "clean."

"If he had a problem, he'd be going to the training room every day," Shaw said. "He's not doing any of that."

Dorsey can silence more doubts March 26 during his Pro Day workout at LSU. Dorsey didn't participate in Combine drills because his grandmother had died earlier in the week.

"Because people have me rated as high as I am, everybody is going to try and look for negatives," said Dorsey, who was forced to wear corrective leg braces as a child. "Maybe he can't do this or that. But I expect that because there's a lot of money involved. We'll see how it looks after my Pro Day."

St. Louis executive vice president Billy Devaney had nothing but praise for Dorsey at the Combine.

"I think he's an impact guy," said Devaney, whose team has the draft's No. 2 overall pick. "He elevates people around him and makes them better. With his passion for the game and work ethic, the guy is going to be a great pro."

One thing that hasn't come into question is Dorsey's character. He was LSU's team leader and among the most active players in community service and charitable work.

Dorsey also keeps a low profile away from football. His idea of fun is spending time with his family in Gonzales, La. which is only 23 miles from the LSU campus and eating crawfish with his Tigers teammates.

"On the field, I'm nasty," said Dorsey, who had 69 tackles (including 12.5 for losses) and seven sacks as a senior. "But it's easy for me when I leave the stadium. If there's a two-year-old girl in a cheerleader uniform yelling, 'Hey, Dorsey!' she doesn't want to see me all mean.

"I'm laid back. I enjoy people. I enjoy conversation."

That helps explains why Dorsey didn't enjoy his Combine experience with the media. But Dorsey also is well aware that such scrutiny is just the beginning of what he can expect as a high-profile NFL rookie.

Asked whether he will have to stop being so outgoing and friendly, Dorsey looked down and shook his head.

"Man, I don't know," he said. "I try to look on the bright side of everything and keep on pushing, but it's tough sometimes to stay a good guy. We're just going to have to see how that goes."

The same is true of how much Dorsey's injury issues will affect his draft status.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey on the defensive over his health

Very very interesting. I agree with Devaney, in that he will be an impact player. I really think he'll be the nest Warren Sapp. The problem is, we already have a good interior rotation and pass rush from them. Dorsey and Carriker fill the same role in my mind, and if it wasn't for that, then I'd be more than happy to take him, but we need a pass rusher on the outside, not inside.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I have one question for everyone...are we drafting to win next year or in years ahead? I don't think we have the talent to win next year, 8-8 would be a godsend. However, why not get Dorsey if he's available? He's a monster, a game changer. He can blow up offensive lines, which would assist the pass rush. Heck, I've seen him rush the passer from the interior. I think it would be very foolish if the Dolphins take Chris Long and we pass up on Dorsey because......the Rams didn't need him in 2008. Might as well take DLew and Arch again.

Rambos is offline Registered User

why not get Dorsey if he's available?
    We have AC and Ryan, not sure how many DT's we can take before addressing other needs. He may be great, but we have other needs. Ryan had a solid year, I wounder what he will do next year if given more playing time.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I agree with txramsfan. I'd be perfectly happy if we took Dorsey if C. Long is gone, assuming of course that the injury concerns are unfounded. Not only would he be a cornerstone of the defense for years to come but I think he'd be an immediate upgrade to Wroten or Glover or Ryan. Drafing for long term success makes far more sense to me than drafting for the present when your team is not close to being a contender.
    Of course there are plenty of arguments to be made for taking other players at #2 but the point is that picking Dorsey would not be a bad thing.

What if Dorsey is better than both AC and Ryan? do you pass that up because you "need" a DE? It's easier to say what the Rams don't need......a starting QB, a starting RB, MLB, LT, and FS. Other than that, the Rams have #2 selection needs everywhere.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't agree with any of you saying Dorsey would be a good pick. We ALREADY have TWO YOUNG DT's who have proven themselves pretty worthy. It's not worth picking up Dorsey. We get Dorsey, we won't reach 6-10.

I don't think we reach 6-10 anyway. I just don't see passing up on possibly one of the best D lineman to come out of college in a very long time just because THIS YEAR we have to have a DE.

TX I do see your point. And are you saying this, say Chris Long is snagged by the Phins? Because I would take Long over Dorsey in a second.

Dorsey is a good player, don't get me wrong. He'll be the next Sapp. But I believe that we already have two good DT's who are only going to get better being so young. If we get a DE, he can only get better as well....

How often do D linemen like Dorsey come along? How often do the Rams have the 2nd overall pick? How often do those two things happen together?
    We've already improved the OL and can pick up additional help in later rounds.
    A decent pass rushing DE should be available in the 2nd round. Our D-line has sucked for too long. Dorsey would have a positive impact. As stated above, he has the work ethic and character that we love so much in C. Long.

Sort of. I do think the Dolphins are going to take Chris Long. So, if they do, do the Rams not take the best DT on the board because "the Rams don't need him in 2008"? To me, that's not how you approach the draft. Especially selecting at #2.

Hmmm. I see where you guys are going. I'm not completely against it yet.

However, what will we do with our DE situation? If we draft Groves in the second round...what about the other needs? That's my main concern...I would like to improve multiple positions in the draft this year.

What about the other needs you say? Good question. From my standpoint, the Rams can't be fixed in one draft. That's why I don't have any expectations of the playoffs in 2008. There are just way too many holes to fill to have a fix with one draft. However, get better in this draft and next years draft, sign SJ and OJ long term, and 2009 really looks promising.

In the draft I think it's better to address a few needs with the highest quality available rather than trying to address too many needs at all at once. What happens then is you most likely end up with a team of average players.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I guess timing is everything, what I mean is, you have to select a player that is coming out as they come out. If the best player was a QB should we take him? And then the following year, the best player is a QB that might be better then the QB you took the previous year should we take him? Yeah Dorsey might be better then AC and Ryan, but timing is everything, we have to take the best player on the board that fills a need IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast