Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey on the defensive over his health

if we need a DE lets take one with our second round pick if chris long is gone I'd be happy with dorsey because he will improve our defense

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Wow, did this guy delve into my brain ot something? Most of the points he hit on are exactly what I've been preaching about Dorsey on here for a while. His medical status is not clouded and it has been a total overreaction, its just the media trying to get their hands on a juicy story that can affect a player leading up to the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    What if Dorsey is better than both AC and Ryan? do you pass that up because you "need" a DE? It's easier to say what the Rams don't need......a starting QB, a starting RB, MLB, LT, and FS. Other than that, the Rams have #2 selection needs everywhere.
    YES! Exactly right my friend. When the Saints took Reggie Bush at #2, was he their most pressing need? Of course not, they could have traded down with the Jets and got more picks to fill holes and take AJ Hawk, who would've greatly upgraded their LB corps. But instead, they took Bush, yet still filled needs later on in the draft by taking Jahri Evans in the 4th as a great starting guard, and Colston in the 7th round as a impact WR. It's not one pick to fill holes, its the entire draft, you just have to do your work.

And since they took Bush, many people thought they were still going to be last in the South but what happened? They won the NFC South for the first time and won a playoff game for only the 3rd time in that franchise's existence. I'm obviously not saying the Rams would have such a turn around with Dorsey, but to write off a team before the season like that is just wrong especially when the 2006 Saints proved it so.

Rambos is offline Registered User

What if Dorsey is better than both AC and Ryan?
    What if Dorsey is not better than both AC and Ryan?

What if Dorsey turns out to be damaged goods?

What if....
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I guess timing is everything, what I mean is, you have to select a player that is coming out as they come out. If the best player was a QB should we take him? And then the following year, the best player is a QB that might be better then the QB you took the previous year should we take him? Yeah Dorsey might be better then AC and Ryan, but timing is everything, we have to take the best player on the board that fills a need IMO.
    our defense isn't that great. There is a big difference between once in a lifetime player than a player that is currently better than your best player. Dorsey is a once in a lifetime guy. I've said this before its Devaney's job to get the best players that will immediately help the team and its the coaches job to incorporate them into the gameplan. We need a bigtime once in a lifetime defensive game changer if its going to be Dorsey or Chris Long

viper is offline Registered User

How would you all have felt about having drafted Warren Sapp? What would that have done for your defense for years to come? Sapp's presence was so huge that he is the first guy I thought of when I thought of Tampa Bay. I know I didn't think about the guy that they didn't draft or who he replaced.

I think taking Dorsey in the first round and the best available DE in the second would be the beginnings of a great draft for us. In fact, I'm starting to think that it might be the best course of action. Dorsey is a game changer and, as mentioned above, guys like this don't come along very often. I think its pretty hard to pass on Dorsey.

Dorsey is a once in a lifetime guy.
    Ok you made this statment, so what makes him a once in a lifetime player. I'm 43, so I have not seen him before and will never see a guy like him again. Tell me what makes him like Jim Brown?

Chris Long is not a once in a lifetime player...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Dorsey can put a double team on him, forcing at least one DE having to beat one guy. Dorsey was getting talk down here of people who have a Heisman Vote to give it to him. A DT.

He's a stud. He could be that impact player the Rams are looking for on defense.

Dorsey can put a double team on him, forcing at least one DE having to beat one guy. Dorsey was getting talk down here of people who have a Heisman Vote to give it to him. A DT.

He's a stud. He could be that impact player the Rams are looking for on defense.
    You make another great point, another one so I have to quote you again. Dorsey is the type of DT who will command double teams even as a rookie in the NFL and teams will be trying to do everything to handle him because of his reputation. He got double and even triple teamed at times in college that made it easy for guys like Tyson Jackson to have a career year and get themselves rated as one of the best DE prospects for the '09 draft. If Little is healthy, him facing a RT 1 on 1 will be devastating and he could potentially get his numbers back up into the '06 range. A great DE in round 2, as someone mentioned, is a good way to go because you won't find a Dorsey in round 2 but there's a chance you could find a Gholston there (Quentin Groves?)

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Dorsey commands double or triple teams and he fights through them regardless. The attention he commands could conceivably make up for the lack of speed Carriker would have if he played DE. Dorsey's best year was the year he had the most injuries. Look at Dorsey's effect on Tyson Jackson another big guy who isn't particularly fast and he has drawn comparisons to AC. In college AC played at the same weight as Tyson Jackson (295) if he gets down to about there along with Dorsey aside him we could have similar line dominant line at LSU.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I have one question for everyone...are we drafting to win next year or in years ahead?
    Obviously the years ahead. Dorsey isn't the only prospect that helps us beyond 2008, but he is at a position we already addressed with a first round pick last year.

What if Dorsey is better than both AC and Ryan?
    What if Carriker is better than Dorsey? You can flip the "What ifs" around any way, they won't provide any answers. The only truth is that we already have two promising young DTs on the roster right now.

I just don't see passing up on possibly one of the best D lineman to come out of college in a very long time just because THIS YEAR we have to have a DE.
    Again, we have to have a DE for more than just this year. The "we need guys for more than just 2008" argument doesn't just work for Dorsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    His medical status is not clouded
    According to at least one NFL doctor, it is.

YES! Exactly right my friend. When the Saints took Reggie Bush at #2, was he their most pressing need? Of course not, they could have traded down with the Jets and got more picks to fill holes and take AJ Hawk, who would've greatly upgraded their LB corps. But instead, they took Bush, yet still filled needs later on in the draft by taking Jahri Evans in the 4th as a great starting guard, and Colston in the 7th round as a impact WR. It's not one pick to fill holes, its the entire draft, you just have to do your work.

And since they took Bush, many people thought they were still going to be last in the South but what happened? They won the NFC South for the first time and won a playoff game for only the 3rd time in that franchise's existence. I'm obviously not saying the Rams would have such a turn around with Dorsey, but to write off a team before the season like that is just wrong especially when the 2006 Saints proved it so.
    I wouldn't use Bush as an example if I were you. He's been a disappointment as a second overall pick thus far for New Orleans.

Nick, my main point wasn't about Reggie Bush. Hell, it could've been Matt Leinart or Vince Young at #2 (already had Drew Brees). What I was getting at is that just because your biggest need isn't addressed in the 1st round doesn't entail another bad upcoming season and I explained that with the picks of Evans and Colston. The draft the Saints had that year got them over the top, much like the draft the Giants had last season propelled them to a Superbowl. It isn't all in the 1st round, as you should know. So you can basically omit Bush out and replace him with any player that wasn't a need there because that was NOT my main point as I'm sure you read.

With regards to the NFL doctor, just like Linehan made everyone believe we were mesmerized with Jay Cutler to the point the Broncos had to trade with us to get him, that "doctor" is doing the same only in the reverse effect as I have already said.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

What I was getting at is that just because your biggest need isn't addressed in the 1st round doesn't entail another bad upcoming season
    Which I agree with, though I don't necessarily think that's a great reason for passing up needs in the first round if there are guys available that fit them.

With regards to the NFL doctor, just like Linehan made everyone believe we were mesmerized with Jay Cutler to the point the Broncos had to trade with us to get him, that "doctor" is doing the same only in the reverse effect as I have already said.
    And that's your opinion. But there's nothing conclusive to prove that the doctor is merely acting as a smokescreen. I'm not even convinced the combine report is accurate, but Dorsey's other injuries combined with this possibility mean it needs to be checked out. But you've seemingly already concluded it's not an issue. IMO, that's a big mistake.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I wouldn't call Dorsey a once in a lifetime player, but I do think that DT's of his caliber are very rare and come along maybe only once every decade or so.
    Remember that he was supposed to be the #1 pick on most draft boards before the injury concerns popped up. Why? Because he's that good.
    Sure, we have some promising DT's that will probably be quite adequate. So, it only makes sense that if we can get Chris Long, we fill a major need with a high character guy who will definitely help the team immediately and also down the road. But if he's gone, and we can't swing a move down to select Gholston and additional picks, grabbing Dorsey makes all the sense in the world to me. As I said before, we can surely pick up a good DE in the 2nd round. I'm just not sure if there is anyone else that makes as much sense with the 2nd overall pick as Dorsey (if C. Long is gone) with the possible exception of Jake Long. But we don't really have a pressing need for an OT this year, so taking Jake Long would be for the same reasons as taking Dorsey, except that I'd rather see us address the DL.
    Of course if there are true medical concerns by the Rams own doctors, then I think we need to pass on him.
    Last edited by harrydog; -03-08-2008 at 08:39 PM.

that "doctor" is doing the same only in the reverse effect as I have already said.
    Do you really think thatís the same thing? We have a couple of lawyers on this board, Iím just guessing here but to make completely false statements that could effect Dorsey financial future might bring on a lawsuit or two.

What motives would this doctor have to make such statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Do you really think thatís the same thing? We have a couple of lawyers on this board, Iím just guessing here but to make completely false statements that could effect Dorsey financial future might bring on a lawsuit or two.

What motives would this doctor have to make such statements?
    Um, just like the ones that were brought up about Alan Branch last year?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast