Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey on the defensive over his health

Um, just like the ones that were brought up about Alan Branch last year?
    Few things here must be addressed, its not that simple where people start spreading rumors and flat out lies to make a guys stock fall.

Two things have caused Branch's stock to fall: a belief that he isn't motivated to succeed on every play and concerns over a preexisting leg injury.

Branch's troubles started at the Combine, where many scouts felt he showed up out of shape and wasn't as impressive as expected.
    In an ESPNEWS interview last Saturday, Branch further damaged his stock by acknowledging that he has had stress fractures in both legs, but he said he has played with them for years.
    Signing these young men to big money grantees is no joke. All teams put these guys through the ringer. I will say one name and you will understand, Ryan Leaf. Teams have to interview, examine them and try and figure out what makes them tick. Does not mean they all get it right, we over looked a players past and put his talent first and we got burned. Lawrence Phillips, yeah we missed all the warning signs and got blinded by his talent. Could you imagine what a set back that would be today?

Iím not saying Dorsey will ever have any effects from his inquires, he may go one to play 13 years and never have any issue. But they are real concerns, not just made up by a fake doctor or a team doctor trying to make his stock fall.

You brought up Branch how did he do last year? Missed 5 games had 9 tackles, no sacks.

He would have been a hugh disappointment.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Um, just like the ones that were brought up about Alan Branch last year?
    There were mixed opinions on the severity of Branch's tibia issues as well, but that didn't stop him from dropping. He made no immediate impact in Arizona, either. Of course, Branch also looked somewhat out of shape at his pro day but was considered an impact player by Arizona. To his credit, it sounds as if Dorsey won't make that mistake as he's been working hard.

At this point, I don't doubt that even if the tibia issues are legitimate, Dorsey could still play through them. The question becomes (1) how well can he play with them at the next level, and (2) do you draft a guy second overall knowing he has injuries he'll have to play through?

It's one thing to get banged up during the season and have to play through it. It's another to have a chronic condition that hasn't healed that you have to deal with.

Of course, if Dorsey can get a clean bill of health from NFL doctors, it's a non-issue. But the fact that we're still talking about a two year old injury still makes me wonder if his medical evaluations are as clean as his trainer wants people to believe.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Personally I like Glenn Dorsey more so than Chris Long, but the differance is so minute that I would not be offended by either being a ram. I say whomever the rams have rated higher should be the pick because if we bank on the continual developmet of two second year players and one or both dont then we would be screwed... that's only if the rams have Dorsey rated higher tho, if they like Chris more than ignore everything I just said.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Injuries can go both ways though everyone, like in Cromartie. Everyone said stay away from him, except the Chargers who are very glad to have him.

Sometimes, I feel draft guru's look too much at the numbers in the 40 and not the heart on the field. Dorsey has another motor that most players don't have. Nick, I don't have a stopwatch on it, but let me tell you it's there.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If we were drafting solely on best player available and not looking at need, then the clear pick at number two for the Rams would be Darren McFadden

If we look at need and holes on the team then the picks are Chris Long, Jake Long and Vernon Gholston. Its not like Dorsey stands out as being by far the best player available for the Rams at number 2. Talent wise its a toss up between Chris Long, Jake Long, Dorsey and Gholston, especially after Gholston's workouts.

I wouldn't be that sure about Dorsey 247 however what I am sure of is this:

With the Rams selecting #2 in this draft, whoever they get has alot of potential.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

McFadden might be the best player in the draft, but he has multiple children with multiple women, which screams character problems. When picking that high we need to make sure that the player isn't going to pull a Pacman and drop out of the NFL for extra curricular activities

Just read what Howard Balzer said on the Rampagers email thingy. He said that Dorsey is a perfect 1-technique DT to go with Carriker who is a 3-technique DT. Now, I have no idea what each technique is but if Balzer says Dorsey would be a great fit, how do you pass up on him if Chris Draft is gone just because Ryan has "potential"? You can't really.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Just read what Howard Balzer said on the Rampagers email thingy. He said that Dorsey is a perfect 1-technique DT to go with Carriker who is a 3-technique DT. Now, I have no idea what each technique is but if Balzer says Dorsey would be a great fit, how do you pass up on him if Chris Draft is gone just because Ryan has "potential"? You can't really.
    The technique thing refers to where a player lines up against the offensive line. A 1-tech DT is a nose tackle lining up right on the center, a la a 3-4. Anyone who wrote that Dorsey's a 1-tech or 3-4 DT is retarded. He's a classic, pass rushing 3-tech(which means over guard; 5 tech means over tackle), and in my mind, most closely resembles Warren Sapp. Sedrick Ellis, on the other hand, is a 1-tech, as he played some time in a 3-4 at USC as the nose tackle and did well. That's actually how the two top DT's are stacked, in that Dorsey's the best 4-3 tackle in that he's more of a one gap, quicker first step, pass rusher, while Ellis is a two gap, stronger, 3-4 kind of guy. Dorsey = Carriker, Ellis = Ryan.

As for why we would pass on him if Chris Draft is gone is because Chris Long would be available. In all seriousness, we should pass on him because of his potentially chronic leg issues(not the main issue, but a worry) and because that spot is not as much of a need as many others on the team. The value is there, I agree, but the greater value is there for McFadden as well, and we aren't taking him. We snagged two interior starters last year, we don't need a third this year. Wroten should be fair enough in the rotation for at least one more year, or we can grab a lower pick this year if we don't think so.

Well I wouldn't call Howard Balzer, a very well respected media person in the STL area and someone who has a nationwide radio show before the NFL starts every Sunday retarded. If he says Dorsey is a 1-technique guy, I believe him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Just read what Howard Balzer said on the Rampagers email thingy. He said that Dorsey is a perfect 1-technique DT to go with Carriker who is a 3-technique DT.
    I read that e-mail conversation last night as well, and I'm fairly certain Howard was responding to someone else making that case, not saying it himself.

Well, dissect it all you want.....oh I don't know anymore. This forum is worse than the IRS Code.

Nick, if your teaching career falls apart you'd make a great auditor.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-11-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Well Howard did say that right now he's leaning towards Gholston.

Who knows? Tune in next week for another edition of......

How the draft turns.......

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well it seems as if Teke and I are on the same page. We have two guys proven starters at DT. We already have TWO DT's. To go out and draft another one, would be stupid. Why would we draft another DT when we already have two starters??? Yet we have a big gap at DE. Makes no sense to me.

I'll be upset if we draft Dorsey this year. Though he's a great player, as McFadden is, we don't NEED him. Our DT position seems to be solid, and its a young position we have. No need to add another young body there when we have an older DE with no one on the other side of the line.

Sure, Dorsey is going to make an impact wherever he is, but in St Louis, it would be a wasted first round pick when we actually have positions to fill, which doens't include DT.

I don't know where everyone is coming up with the fact the Rams have 2 DT's. Carriker yes but Ryan? Jury is still way out on that one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast