Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dorsey Injury Update

From Pro Football Weekly...

According to three different team sources, LSU DT Glenn Dorsey is surprisingly not scheduled to appear at the Combine re-check next weekend despite concerns by many teams that he has a slight stress fracture in his right tibia.

Dorsey showed at his pro-day workout that he was healthy enough to complete a grueling positional workout, but his workout numbers were not particularly impressive.

“(Dorsey) looked extremely stiff in the shuttles,” said one executive in attendance. “He could not bend or touch line. He did not show a lot of lower-body flexion.

“He looked great in the positional workout, showing burst and acceleration. He finished drills. He knew Tim Krumrie was waiting for him and he still did a real good job and left everything on the field. He exhausted himself — gave it his all just like you see him do on tape.”

Despite not having to revisit Indianapolis, Dorsey will be poked and prodded by the team doctors of the Rams and Falcons in private visits and his leg injuries will be much more heavily scrutinized.

Based on feedback from four teams that have analyzed the results of Dorsey's MRI taken at the Combine, a thin black line did appear in his tibia and it clearly has been slow to heal. Calcium has formed on top of the stress fracure and provides enough support to play through it initially. Eventually, however, at least three team doctors have shared the opinion with their general managers that the fracture eventually will have to crack to heal properly.

Overall, the injury does not figure to hurt Dorsey's draft prospects much, if at all, but it could still play a role on Draft Day.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey Injury Update

This might mean a Long draft board (pun intended)

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Does this make sense?

The guy who plays in the trenches has a broken leg bone that didn't heal properly and
    they say "Overall, the injury does not figure to hurt Dorsey's draft prospects much, if at all"

HUH?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Well this is what i think. He does have a small fracture that is healing slowly and poorly, which might make teams a litlle worried about picking him because it could break and if it doesnt it will be a lingering affect....maybe. From experience with a tibia that has been broken along with a fibula that has been the same, it will get stronger if it does break and is treating right, stronger then the bone was before it was broken, so what i want to throw out there is this(crazy as it might be) but if we do draft Dorsey(this is only an if) and he plays i would want it to break sooner then later and id rather it break then not just for the reason i know itd be stronger then if it never broke and hed only be out for one year(hopefully the first) and then hed come back with a stronger leg with no lingering affects(hopefully). Thus he would be better then he was since he fractured it in college and still dominated and hed probably go balls to the wall to prove that it hasnt hurt him and that he is the beast that he is. This is just my opinion and i know there are rumors that his leg is a problem and there are rumors that its all hog wash. but if that is the case and we do draft him, itd not only be better for him but for the team since it doest seem to be healing to well. this is from experience only and it may seem crazy to hope thatd itd break, but if it didnt and it was a problem itd hurt not only the team but himself in the short and possibly long run.

Just a thought i had..

One last thing, if this is all true about his leg then hes not only a beast, but he is a strong harcore tough player because he played last year and more with a fractured tibia and still was a monster. I want Chris Long but if we get Dorsey this is just a viewpoint i had on it. That is all.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -04-07-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Based on feedback from four teams that have analyzed the results of Dorsey's MRI taken at the Combine, a thin black line did appear in his tibia and it clearly has been slow to heal.
    And now onto feedback Todd McShay got from three teams...

Glenn Dorsey Medical

Discussion starts with around 50 seconds left. It's all about who you believe; teams say one thing others say something else. You feel strongly about not taking him, so you like to take the other side and vice versa for me. I think after he comes to St. Louis for his visit is where we can finally draw our line in the sand, yes?
    Last edited by Bald_81; -04-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    And no onto feedback Todd McShay got from three teams...

Glenn Dorsey Medical

Discussion starts with around 50 seconds left. It's all about who you believe; teams say one thing others say something else. You feel strongly about not taking him, so you like to take the other side and vice versa for me. I think after he comes to St. Louis for his visit is where we can finally draw our line in the sand, yes?

That is a good point. Let him come here so we can evaluate him and work form there. That is this the best thing we can do.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

this reminds me of the Alan Branch situation last year...would be sweet to get Dorsey early in the second after getting C.Long or Gholston in the first!

i can dream cant i ?!

Ramer is offline Registered User

Doesn't change my feeling about drafting Dorsey. I think he will be fine come preseason.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ramblin, I have to imagine that Dorsey'll do just a bit better in his rookie year than Branch did. Also, Dorsey only has this one little medical issue with him, the rest of him is clean. Not so with Branch.

I'd love if the dream came true too!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The thing that bugs me about this is that its all so mysterious. If there's an issue, schedule an appointment with a reliable doctor and get a medical opinion. Why is that so complicated?

If Dorsey (or his "people") are avoiding doing so, don't draft him.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

If this is the case, I would think there would be some concern over whether he is prone to injuries - or this type of injury.

Rambos is offline Registered User

a thin black line did appear in his tibia and it clearly has been slow to heal
    My take is he has this and has played, and played well. This may never be an issue for him or it might. I have not read anything were the doctors state this will be a problem. I have read it's not healing right... So I'm lost when it comes to Dorsey health.

“(Dorsey) looked extremely stiff in the shuttles,” said one executive in attendance. “He could not bend or touch line. He did not show a lot of lower-body flexion.
    Whats this about,is it related to the leg?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    And now onto feedback Todd McShay got from three teams...

Glenn Dorsey Medical
    Great link, but let's look at what McShay says...

-The right tibia injury is still a mystery
    -No one seems to have an exact feel for it
    -Three personnel people say it won't affect his stock, but McShay says it is an issue

I'm still waiting to see those scouts and doctors who are saying he's 100%, especially since McShay's report suggests no one is that sure about it. Regardless of who you believe though, it's still out there hanging around and even McShay confirms as much in this video.

You'd think a guy that actually is 100% would have a pretty easy time proving all of this wrong, but that hasn't happened. New reports continue to provide more details about the injury issue (ie. the MRI results in the first post), and Dorsey not going back for the combine re-check for whatever reason isn't going to dispel the concern.

The reason I feel strongly about not taking him is because I think at the #2 spot there will be better options available in terms of need, value, and risk. It's not as if he's completely off my board; I've said for a while now he's right after both Longs and Gholston as the fourth best option, so he's still there. He's just not among the first few preferred optoins for me, not just because of lingering injury concerns but because of his fit with this personnel.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Eventually, however, at least three team doctors have shared the opinion with their general managers that the fracture eventually will have to crack to heal properly.
    3 doctors said this? I'd like to hear a more detailed explanation of what the possible consequences may be here, but if this isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    3 doctors said this? I'd like to hear a more detailed explanation of what the possible consequences may be here, but if this isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.
    I agree, this information or lack of it makes me want to put the possibility of picking Dorsey to bed for good,we cannot afford to be taking chances with this pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)