Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thirty-Nine is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey or McFadden

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Um, if I am not mistaken, in the 2006 NFL season when BOTH Deuce and Reggie were healthy they were a formidible tandem (Combined for the second most rushing yards behind Taylor + Jones-Drew) and carried the Saints to the NFC Championship game. Where were we that year? AT HOME! I am not making a case for McFadden, but just providing a good, factual example.

Keep trying, man...
    How about if you start by dropping the sarcasm, it is not needed, we are adults having a discussion. I simply stated that Bush might not be the best example of a success story, and posted stats to support that.

Moving on, of what did you provide a "good, factual example"?

You are clearly trying to state a case for a two RB setup, and you cite the Bush draft as your success story. So far, that example produced one somewhat successful season (we can debate the operational definition of success all day, so let's stipulate on that), and the season I documented above.

Player health is no guarantee, so we cannot only use healthy seasons as our representative sample. You cited the first season, I cited the current season. We can either combine them in our sample pool for the overall picture, or do what I did, and say, "What do they have now?"

What they have now comes down to the statistics I cited above.

What are we really talking about by discussing the possibility of taking McFadden with the #2 pick? Just what New Orleans did. New Orleans used a #2 overall draft pick on a second back ,and what I posted above is what they have to show for it now.

Next season may be better or worse, and that season can be added to the evaluation. Right now, I would not call the Bush pick a success story, and that is why I wrote that is was probably not the best example. That's it, nothing personal.

Go Rams! :r

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Who is to say any of these kids turn out to be studs? The draft is a crap shot at best. Sometimes, your 5th round pick turns out to be the best one you had. London Fletcher was a rookie FA and we still haven't recovered from losing him.

No one on this board KNOWS any of these guys are going to be good or not, but all indications of McFadden point to him being a back that makes a difference. With Jackson's contract up after next year, who is to say he stays?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I am not defending taking McFadden because I am all for taking Dorsey after tonight, but is that not essentially what the New Orleans Saints did in 2006 with Reggie Bush and then that season they went to the playoffs? Just saying, man...
    Touche. You got me there.

But when the Saints drafted Bush, I don't think they expected him to be splitting time in the backfield. He's a bust so far, relatively speaking.

In any case, I should have been more precise - I don't think it's a good idea to draft a running back #2 overall if he's not going to even be the starter. That's just such a huge salary cap hit to pay somebody who's going to get less than half the carries. Not to mention we have holes pretty much everywhere but RB

txramsfan is offline Registered User

There is a good possibility that where we sit on draft day that Steven Jackson could get traded. Main reason: his contract if up after 2008.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
    How about if you start by dropping the sarcasm, it is not needed, we are adults having a discussion. I simply stated that Bush might not be the best example of a success story, and posted stats to support that.

Moving on, of what did you provide a "good, factual example"?

You are clearly trying to state a case for a two RB setup, and you cite the Bush draft as your success story. So far, that example produced one somewhat successful season (we can debate the operational definition of success all day, so let's stipulate on that), and the season I documented above.

Player health is no guarantee, so we cannot only use healthy seasons as our representative sample. You cited the first season, I cited the current season. We can either combine them in our sample pool for the overall picture, or do what I did, and say, "What do they have now?"

What they have now comes down to the statistics I cited above.

What are we really talking about by discussing the possibility of taking McFadden with the #2 pick? Just what New Orleans did. New Orleans used a #2 overall draft pick on a second back ,and what I posted above is what they have to show for it now.

Next season may be better or worse, and that season can be added to the evaluation. Right now, I would not call the Bush pick a success story, and that is why I wrote that is was probably not the best example. That's it, nothing personal.

Go Rams! :r
    The problem is that you provided stats from this season when the success came from the year before when both backs were healthy. I sound sarcastic because I clearly mentioned the '06 season then you went and pointed out his stats from this season which had nothing to do with the point I brought up. I did not say that both years have been a success because this year proved otherwise, I brought up the season where both backs were healthy and their pick panned out in their favour. Will it work this year? We shall see.

And if we were to use the #2 pick on McFadden, it is exactly like what Martz did in 2000 by selecting Trung Canidate. Was RB an immediate need or position to upgrade? Hell no, we had the best RB in the league at the time and there was no reason to go to that position. Okay, we were coming off a SB win and it isn't exactly the #2 pick, but Martz decided to draft Canidate why? Because it would make the GSOT that much stronger. He wanted to make an already feared offense nearly unstoppable and that is why he went for a RB instead of addressing a much more glaring need on the defensive side of the ball.

Either way, I want Dorsey. That is all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ah yes, the beauty of #2. So many options......,

1. at least two of Long, Dorsey, and McFadden will be available. Pick one.

2. trade down a spot or two for somebody wanting Player X. A single spot tradedown would net us a mid 2nd, or a very high 3rd-5th. Drop two spots, we could get a top 2nd & 3rd, or even a mid 1st. Drop down to #7, we could get the Pats entire 2008 draft, or their 2009 1st and 2nd. Ain't gonna happen, but mathematically the possibility is there.

3. Trade S-Jack (he's gone next year anyway) for a mid to low first. Take Run DMC with the #2, and a pass rusher with the other pick.

So many options, so many fools in the front office to screw it up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

i dont know...losing jackson is going to be something to regret for years to come for the franchise. we cant afford to lose him, hes such an explosive player.

we're not sure if anyone in this draft compares to him.

the post above me is right though...we have so much we can do. whichever the phins dont pick (dorsey or long) we get. thats how i see we use our 1st pick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)