MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Dorsey Takes Injury Rumors in Stride ..

The News Star - www.thenewsstar.com - Monroe, LA

BAIT AND TACKLE: LSU's Glenn Dorsey takes injury rumors in stride
    By Glenn Guilbeau
    Louisiana Gannett News

BATON ROUGE — If he chose to, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey could describe recent stories about his injury problems as, “Stupid is as stupid does.”
    He does not, though. Nor has he ever criticized Auburn offensive guard Chaz Ramsey for illegally chop blocking him last season, which injured his right knee and slowed him down late in the season.

Just as his fictional role model Forrest Gump did after taking verbal criticism from Lieutenant Dan, Dorsey turns the other cheek … or the other knee.

“He heard what they were saying about some injuries he had, but he’s healthy now,” said Dorsey’s mother Sandra Dorsey, who is as strong a fixture in Dorsey’s life as the Sally Field character was in the Gump movie. “He doesn’t get upset about things like most people. He took it in stride. He said it comes with the territory. He knows there’s nothing wrong with him. Now, I got upset about that block that wasn’t legal, but he never did. He’s just not like that.”

Dorsey, the most decorated player in LSU history since Billy Cannon who has a lot in common with Gump minus the learning disability, is expected to be one of the top three or five picks in the next NFL Draft. He had the opportunity to throw his feared forearm at his critics during a press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last month, but he chose a soft jab.

“I’m never surprised,” he said, smiling wide. “I always try to set myself up to hear wild things. Some stuff I just wonder how people — where they get it from. But it is what it is.”

During the Combine, an NFLDraftScout.com story referred to an unnamed NFL team doctor saying that there were serious concerns over a stress fracture in Dorsey’s right tibia, or shin, suffered before the 2006 season.

“I had a hairline fracture my junior year of my right tibia,” Dorsey said after a day’s worth of laborious medical tests in Indianapolis on Feb. 23. “That wasn’t a big issue to me. I played the whole year with it. It just calcified on my leg, and it has a little knot on it. No concern. No health concerns to my knowledge. I haven’t missed a game since I been at LSU. Everybody gets nicked up. I don’t think it’s an issue at all.”
    Dorsey’s shin did start to bother him late in his All-American junior season in 2006, and he has said that was a contributing factor to him not entering the 2007 NFL Draft.

Dorsey fought off two injuries in 2007 to win the Outland, Lombardi, Nagurski and Lott trophies.

The right sprained knee from that chop block in the Auburn game on Oct. 20 made him wear a knee brace for the Alabama game on Nov. 3 after an open week. He thought he re-injured it in a pile-up in the first quarter, but after a quick visit to the locker room for a stress test, he was back. Dorsey made seven tackles, including a sack and another stop behind the line, in LSU’s win, and he was named the SEC’s defensive player of the week.

“I was playing basically with one leg,” Dorsey said.

“I saw his butt going up the field more than he was going backwards,” said Alabama coach Nick Saban, who as LSU’s coach in 2004 signed Dorsey out of East Ascension High. “I said several times over the headset, ‘Why don’t we run the other way, because we’re not blocking him?’”
    A sore lower back near the tailbone caused Dorsey to miss most of the Ole Miss game on Nov. 17. Double and triple teams may have contained him more in the latter third of the season than the injuries, though. He still finished third on the team with 64 tackles, including 12.5 behind the line and seven sacks.

“It’s not always about making tackles with Glenn,” defensive end Tyson Jackson said. “He causes so much trouble in the offensive line. He tosses people around, so we can make the tackle. The guy has the strongest hands I’ve ever seen. And he frees us up because he’s got two, three people on him. I’m going to miss him.”
    Tulane coach Bob Toledo noticed the same thing early last season.

“I look at Dorsey and he is throwing guys around from Virginia Tech and South Carolina like they are rag dolls,” Toledo said.

“He’s not a guy I would want to block,” said LSU coach Les Miles, a former offensive guard at Michigan. “And I think that he’s extremely healthy. The shin was never an issue this season. I’m just telling you as it was relayed to me through every medical report that there was. I think the NFL that watched the championship game will understand that when he plays healthy and fresh, he’s a tremendous force to be dealt with.”

Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian saw Dorsey disrupt Notre Dame’s offensive line in the Sugar Bowl after the 2006 season.

“I saw him at his best against Notre Dame when he was healthy, and he’s a force,” Polian said at a Combine press conference. “He can do it all. He can stop the run. He can rush the pass. I’m not sure there are many people that can win a battle one-on-one against him in pass protection.”

Dorsey was not the same player late in the 2007 regular season, though. After making 12 tackles for losses through the first 10 games, he made none in LSU’s last three games before getting healthy for the national championship game. And he did decide not to work out at the Combine, but he had a very good reason.

“I had a death in the family, so I had to take some time off,” he said. “So I decided to work out on my pro day down at LSU (on March 26). I got here on time. I don’t know about the reports that I wasn’t coming at all. I don’t know where that came from.”

Pearl Nabor passed away during the Combine in Gonzales, where Glenn grew up about 20 miles from Tiger Stadium. She was Dorsey’s grandmother on his mom’s side and gave him the nickname “Putt” as an infant because the only time he’d walk and not crawl was when miniature golf, or “Putt-Putt,” came on television.

“Oh, they were very close,” Sandra Dorsey said. “They had a real good relationship. She watched every game. She was his biggest fan. He had to come home when she died.”

That has been his only break since a two-day rest after making five tackles with a sack in the Tigers’ 38-24 win over Ohio State in the BCS national championship game.

“He’s been here since Jan. 10 just grinding,” said performance-enhancement guru Tom Shaw said in a telephone interview from his camp in the Orlando, Fla., area. “Glenn had not missed a workout until his grandmother died. He’s always here just grinding. I don’t see any evidence of injuries or lingering injuries. He runs the same exact things as the defensive backs. He runs well. We had him checked when he first got here, and there’s nothing. The stories out there about his injuries are a joke.”

Dorsey returned to Shaw’s camp on March 2.

“The question I always get from coaches is, ‘How much does he go to the training room?’” said Shaw, who has produced six No. 1 picks and 94 in the first round. “Glenn does not go to the training room. The kid has an amazing work ethic. He’s a workaholic. If he was hurt, I’d know it. He has no pain.”

NFL draft expert Mike Detillier said the stories of Dorsey’s injuries are agent driven.

“Glenn’s injuries are not a major issue,” Detillier said. “The NFL Network is known for brown nosing with agents. Glenn is one of the top three-to-five picks in the draft. An agent of another player wants his player to get picked higher, so they put something out about another player being injured. I’ve seen it happen before. If it was a major issue, there’d be a lot more people talking about it by now.”

Dorsey has hated being hurt ever since he had to wear metal leg braces to straighten his legs from age 3 to age 5, much like Gump.

“I really didn’t have the opportunity to run around like other kids,” Dorsey said. “I would have to sit around and watch.”

Once the braces came off, his couch potato days were over.

“He never wanted to stop playing after that,” Mrs. Dorsey said. “There was no stopping him. It is amazing to me how he has become such a great athlete after having to wear braces. I would never have expected it. But that’s the type person he is. He never quits. He was playing in a league when he was 7, and they lost every game. But he never gave up. And he works so hard.”

Even when Shaw, known for his stringent regiment, asks Dorsey to slow down a tad, he doesn’t.

“I’ve got to keep grinding,’” Dorsey said. “I’ve got things to do. I’ve got places to go.”

One of the top 10 teams drafting this year will be getting a pretty good player it would appear .. will it be the Rams?? With all NFL coaches and personnel guys speaking with forked tongues this time of year, it's anybody's guess where Glen will end up ...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey Takes Injury Rumors in Stride ..

Great Read. Thanks for that, MauiRam.

“He’s been here since Jan. 10 just grinding,” said performance-enhancement guru Tom Shaw said in a telephone interview from his camp in the Orlando, Fla., area. “Glenn had not missed a workout until his grandmother died. He’s always here just grinding. I don’t see any evidence of injuries or lingering injuries. He runs the same exact things as the defensive backs. He runs well. We had him checked when he first got here, and there’s nothing. The stories out there about his injuries are a joke.”
    I'm glad to see that there are still other reports rising now that say he has been healthy this whole time. That stuff at the Combine was just straight shananigans.

NFL draft expert Mike Detillier said the stories of Dorsey’s injuries are agent driven.

“Glenn’s injuries are not a major issue,” Detillier said. “The NFL Network is known for brown nosing with agents. Glenn is one of the top three-to-five picks in the draft. An agent of another player wants his player to get picked higher, so they put something out about another player being injured. I’ve seen it happen before. If it was a major issue, there’d be a lot more people talking about it by now.”
    This is similar as to what I said in previous threads about teams trying to bring his stock down so he could get selected later and drop to them. Except it seems that agents are trying to provide misinformation so their clients get selected higher. After all, it is a business, and this probably happens every single year.

Rambos is offline Registered User

“He’s been here since Jan. 10 just grinding,” said performance-enhancement guru Tom Shaw said in a telephone interview from his camp in the Orlando, Fla., area.
    Key statment, from his camp.

The fact he has some nicks, will make some team pass. Glenn Dorsey takes injury rumors in stride. They are facts, he has them, no one knows if they will ever be a real issue until he starts playing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    That stuff at the Combine was just straight shananigans.
    ...in your opinion.

Frankly I'm not sure what his trainer is supposed to say. He's not an incredibly objective party in this affair. Is Tom Shaw going to come out and confirm that Dorsey has injuries and in the process potentially negatively affect the stock of someone he's training? Is Tom Shaw even qualified to say with any expert degree of certainty whether or not Dorsey has lingering injury issues? If Dorsey is down there performing, that confirms what we already know - he's capable of playing even when injured. But it does nothing to address the significance of any long-term effects his injuries could have, so this does little if anything to counter the earlier reports.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Even if his injuries didn't cause him to miss time yet, they are still a caution flag, as who knows what could become of it when he's playing on the next level. Of all of our choices, I won't be upset if he goes on an has a great career somewhere else. He's not a crucial need.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Even if his injuries didn't cause him to miss time yet, they are still a caution flag, as who knows what could become of it when he's playing on the next level. Of all of our choices, I won't be upset if he goes on an has a great career somewhere else. He's not a crucial need.
    Oh there is no doubt there are caution flags, I'm not denying that. I mean the guy has gotten a variety of injuries to parts of his body that are crucial at his position, I just feel that it has been overblown. If the trainer says he checked out 100% and an agent says it the story is being used for bargaining power, I'll take their word for it. Until a large number of team doctors can come and support the other claim, then I refuse to believe any of it.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the trainer says he checked out 100% and an agent says it the story is being used for bargaining power, I'll take their word for it.
    Right, because when I think about guys whose opinions will remain objective on a prospect's health, the first people who come to mind are said prospect's agent and trainer. It's not like they have a horse in the race or anything... :x

Until a large number of team doctors can come and support the other claim, then I refuse to believe any of it.
    When have a large number of NFL team doctors ever publicly come out to comment on the medical questions of a draft prospect? I think you're setting a pretty unrealistic bar for the burden of proof here.