MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Is Dorsey's Health Really a Concern?

Is health a concern?
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/20/2008

A healthy Glenn Dorsey would top just about every draft board in the NFL, or be second behind Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. But is he healthy?

That's the multimillion-dollar question for the Rams should Dorsey — the defensive tackle from Louisiana State — be available at No. 2 overall in next weekend's draft.

"There's 32 (team) doctors; they have 32 different opinions," said Tom Marino, a longtime NFL scout who's now an analyst for Scout.com. "You're talking about a guy that's the No. 2 pick in the draft. It's going to be $5.5 million, $6 million per year for the next five years. That's hard to swallow if the guy's going to be on the IR."

Publicly, the Rams have consistently said they are not concerned about Dorsey's health, particularly the stress fracture Dorsey suffered in his right leg in 2006. Billy Devaney, executive vice president of player personnel, said any medical questions the team may have had on Dorsey have been answered satisfactorily. Advertisement

Some league sources say X-rays show there is a dark spot, or small line in the area on Dorsey's leg. Is that a sign of healing? Is there a chance it can fracture again?

When asked about the injury, Dorsey told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine: "I had a hairline fracture my junior year on my right tibia."

Dorsey said it happened when he bumped against something in the weight room, and that it has not been an issue.

"Not at all," Dorsey said. "I did it summertime my junior year, and I played the whole year with it. … I have not missed a game since I got to LSU. Who does not go through a season without getting bumps and bruises? I don't think it's an issue at all."

Even with some nagging injuries last season (knee, hamstring, back), Dorsey played well enough to sweep almost every honor imaginable in college football. He was a consensus All-American and the Southeastern Conference's defensive player of the year. He also won the Nagurski, Lombardi, Outland and Lott awards.

"He's as good against the run as anybody I've ever seen, bar none," Devaney said Saturday. "And like a lot of guys, I think he will be a better pass rusher in the NFL. He has the ability to be a top-notch pass rusher."

LSU's scheme was designed to have Dorsey tie up blockers and let teammates run free on defense. It didn't highlight his pass-rushing skills. Nonetheless, he still managed seven sacks for the Tigers.

But none of those statistics, accolades or awards can top what Dorsey received in the BCS title game in January against Ohio State.

"The national championship is the ultimate award, so I feel like I have achieved everything I wanted to," Dorsey said.

At least at the college level. The next goal for Dorsey is to be the No. 1 pick overall.

"Without a doubt," Dorsey said. "You want to be that guy that gets his name called first. You want to set yourself up to go as high as possible. That would be a dream."

But it looks as if Miami is settling in on either Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long or Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston. That could leave the Rams looking at Dorsey with the No. 2 overall pick. What would it be like for Dorsey to play in defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's system?

"It'll be great," Dorsey said. "I just need an opportunity. Any team that gives me an opportunity, I'm going to give them 100 percent."

But for any team that drafts him, Dorsey said he will bring "my heart and soul. That is all I can do. I stayed at LSU an extra year (instead of turning pro early) because I had a commitment to LSU. I try to work hard. I like to give it all I got."

If Dorsey were a Ram, he would be paired with Adam Carriker at tackle in the team's base defense, with La'Roi Glover and Clifton Ryan rotating in off the bench.

"(Dorsey) is a powerful guy," said Marino, who once scouted for the Rams. "He converts speed to power. He's very, very strong. And powerful. Explosive. I think his range is good. He's disruptive inside. And he gives you a presence inside that (the Rams) don't have."

Earlier in his career at LSU, Dorsey said, he learned from two teammates who are now NFL defensive tackles: Kyle Williams of the Buffalo Bills and Claude Wroten of the Rams.

"Kyle is a mentor to me," Dorsey said. "He taught me how to come out and play hard no matter what. Claude taught me how to use athleticism in the game. He wasn't a big technician, but he was a gifted athlete. I took from both of them."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Is Dorsey's Health Really a Concern?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Claude taught me how to use athleticism in the game. He wasn't a big technician, but he was a gifted athlete. I took from both of them."
    You know I'd believe this...but...only if you replaced the word "Athletecism" with the word "Recreational Drugs".

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Dorsey said it happened when he bumped against something in the weight room, and that it has not been an issue.
    He fractured his tibia when he "bumped" against something? That comment is a little disconcerting.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't know. A leg that didnt heal correcting isn't a concern? Yeah right.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Publicly, the Rams have consistently said they are not concerned about Dorsey's health
    Can't help but notice the word "publicly." The truth of the matter is that the Rams and Devaney have no reason to publicly say anything different, especially when we know they're talking trade with at least one team.

"Not at all," Dorsey said. "I did it summertime my junior year, and I played the whole year with it. … I have not missed a game since I got to LSU. Who does not go through a season without getting bumps and bruises? I don't think it's an issue at all."
    The more I see this quote, the more I'm tiring of it. The sore hamstring that limited his participation in camp was a "bump and bruise" type injury. The sore back that caused him to miss most of the game against Mississippi is a "bump and bruise." A tibia fracture that occurred in 2006 and reportedly still hasn't healed is not a bump or bruise - it's a broken bone. And it definitely is a significant issue when a team is going to invest tens of millions of dollars into him.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can't help but notice the word "publicly." The truth of the matter is that the Rams and Devaney have no reason to publicly say anything different, especially when we know they're talking trade with at least one team.

The more I see this quote, the more I'm tiring of it. The sore hamstring that limited his participation in camp was a "bump and bruise" type injury. The sore back that caused him to miss most of the game against Mississippi is a "bump and bruise." A tibia fracture that occurred in 2006 and reportedly still hasn't healed is not a bump or bruise - it's a broken bone. And it definitely is a significant issue when a team is going to invest tens of millions of dollars into him.
    Well, what can I say? Its "liar's season".......of course, Billy Devaney/Rams should be worried about Dorsey's injuries if they draft him - if they are NOT drafting Dorsey, then I too would say, yeah, we are not worried - to "prop" Dorsey up with hopes of trading him....

look, everyone who knows me on this board knows I want Glen Dorsey for the Falcons - but, if he falls to us - will I be concerned about that hairline fracture of the tibia? hell yeah.......

Regardless of who takes Dorsey, I hope the injury heals up fine, Dorsey has a good career and earns everybit of his HUGE salary....

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Wroten's lack of production is amazing. He must plan to do nothing
    on Sunday's.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The information about the X-ray came from Lee G. Sors? Well, then it must be true because that guy never lies.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

"He's as good against the run as anybody I've ever seen, bar none," Devaney said Saturday. "And like a lot of guys, I think he will be a better pass rusher in the NFL. He has the ability to be a top-notch pass rusher."
    This screams smokescreen to me. You don't usually talk that highly of a prospect you're targeting in the draft with the intent to take him. My take is, a) they are absolutely sure the Dolphins aren't taking him so they feel like they have the power or b) they don't want him and want to trade down or they want another player like Jake ahead of him first.

LSU's scheme was designed to have Dorsey tie up blockers and let teammates run free on defense. It didn't highlight his pass-rushing skills. Nonetheless, he still managed seven sacks for the Tigers.
    This is a very intriguing quote. I remember Nick getting on his case about his sacks and TFL because of his comparisons to Sapp, it looks like he will have even more of a chance to do that in the NFL.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    This screams smokescreen to me. You don't usually talk that highly of a prospect you're targeting in the draft with the intent to take him. My take is, a) they are absolutely sure the Dolphins aren't taking him so they feel like they have the power or b) they don't want him and want to trade down or they want another player like Jake ahead of him first.
    Your first take (a) is interesting; I hadn't thought of it. It's entirely possible that the Rams simply aren't worried about the Dolphins taking him, and thus feel as if they can say whatever they want. Of course, that backfires if Miami convinces New Orleans or Atlanta that they'll trade down for less than we'd demand, and then suddenly the Saints are jumping up to grab the local kid.

But I tend to agree with you in that teams don't usually talk publicly this much about a prospect that they're really planning on taking. Given the potential trade rumors, I think it's to the Rams' benefit to lather on the praise as much as possible. Right now, that's exactly what they're doing. The only question that remains - one that only people in the draft room will know the answer to - is whether or not it's genuine and reflects a desire to take him, or whether or not it's being done to try and prompt a move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    This is a very intriguing quote. I remember Nick getting on his case about his sacks and TFL because of his comparisons to Sapp, it looks like he will have even more of a chance to do that in the NFL.
    But many have already argued that if the Rams take Dorsey, opponents will be forced to double team him like they did in college, and that will free up others on our line. That seems to sound exactly like the description of how he was used at LSU - Dorsey ties up blockers, allowing others to make plays. So how will he have more chances at the next level when many anticipate him commanding similar attention to that he received in college?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Dorsey ties up blockers, allowing others to make plays. So how will he have more chances at the next level when many anticipate him commanding similar attention to that he received in college?
    That's right. I heard Scott Wright on the Prime Sports Radio network discussing Dorsey and his comparisons to Sapp. He basically redered them unjustified as Dorsey is not a pass rusher as much as he is a lane clogger. I can't see that changing with a transition into playing against bigger, tougher opponents.