RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Dorsey's stock rises after his workout at pro day

Dorsey's stock rises after his workout at pro day
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/30/2008

Just when it looked as if the Rams' first-round draft possibilities were down to three options — offensive tackle (Michigan's Jake Long), defensive end (Virginia's Chris Long or Ohio State's Vernon Gholston) or a trade down — along comes Glenn Dorsey.

The defensive tackle from Louisiana State reasserted his status as an elite draft prospect during his pro day workout Wednesday in Baton Rouge, La. The Rams, among others, were impressed.

"I think he answered every question that people had on him — physically and mentally," said Billy Devaney, the Rams' executive vice president of player personnel. "It was really an impressive day for him physically."

Apparently, things went well for Dorsey on the medical front, too. LSU went out of its way to clear up any questions about Dorsey's injury history, which includes a knee problem last season and a stress fracture in 2006. LSU made its athletic trainer and team orthopedic doctor available. They also had medical reports on Dorsey available from five independent orthopedic doctors.

The Rams will have their own doctors examine Dorsey during his pre-draft visit to Rams Park April 13-14.

As for Dorsey's workout, he was said to be explosive in drills, showcasing his quick first step. His change of direction ability was impressive for someone his size.

All of which makes Dorsey a possibility for the Rams at No. 2 overall.

"He's in the mix," Devaney said.

Dorsey wouldn't give the Rams the edge rusher they need at defensive end, but some at Rams Park are convinced he could consistently push the pocket from the inside, putting up eight to 10 sacks per season.

ATOGWE UPDATE

As a restricted free agent, safety Oshiomogho Atogwe can negotiate with other teams until April 18. Unless he gets an offer from an outside club by then, the Rams retain exclusive contract rights.

"We've talked to a few other teams and kind of just put it out there a little bit," Atogwe said. "But nothing substantial has taken place. It's just all been real surface conversation."

The Rams tendered Atogwe at the first-round level of $2,017,000 in February. If Atogwe gets an outside offer and the Rams don't match, St. Louis gets a first-round draft pick from that team as compensation.

Ideally, the Rams want to extend Atogwe's contract beyond this season. Failing that, Atogwe will play for the $2,017,000 tender amount in '08.

"We had some preliminary talks (with the Rams)," Atogwe said. "We just kind of scratched the surface, and then everything has pretty much cooled off since then."

When asked if an extension was a priority, Atogwe said: "It's something that at first I was thinking about. Now I'm not really focusing on that. It's a situation where if I come back this season, I'm going to play out my one-year tender and go from there."

WORKOUT ROLL CALL

Some of the Rams' bigger names did not participate in the first week of the team's offseason conditioning program, among them quarterback Marc Bulger, wide receiver Torry Holt, linebacker Will Witherspoon and offensive tackle Alex Barron.

Several players informed Rams coaches they would be unable to attend the first week for a variety of reasons. Bulger, for instance, put in a couple of good weeks of work at Rams Park earlier this month but couldn't be in town for the official start of the offseason program.

Several other starters were on hand, including defensive end Leonard Little, offensive tackle Orlando Pace and defensive lineman Adam Carriker.

FRANKLIN VISIT

The Rams are intrigued enough with University of Missouri wide receiver Will Franklin that he will be among the draft prospects visiting Rams Park in mid-April. Franklin's stock has risen after impressive workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine and Mizzou's pro day.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey's stock rises after his workout at pro day

if we think he is that elite 8-10 sack number 1 prospect in the draft by all means take him

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    The defensive tackle from Louisiana State reasserted his status as an elite draft prospect during his pro day workout Wednesday in Baton Rouge, La. The Rams, among others, were impressed.

"I think he answered every question that people had on him — physically and mentally," said Billy Devaney, the Rams' executive vice president of player personnel. "It was really an impressive day for him physically."

Apparently, things went well for Dorsey on the medical front, too. LSU went out of its way to clear up any questions about Dorsey's injury history, which includes a knee problem last season and a stress fracture in 2006. LSU made its athletic trainer and team orthopedic doctor available. They also had medical reports on Dorsey available from five independent orthopedic doctors.

The Rams will have their own doctors examine Dorsey during his pre-draft visit to Rams Park April 13-14.
    It appears that Dorsey's health concerns may be becoming less of an issue. That should help his stock in the draft quite a bit.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

As the article stats, the Rams will have their doctors examine him during his visit in mid-April. I believe I read elsewhere that Dorsey is among one of the prospects who will return to Indy this weekend for a second medical evaluation as well, though I can't find the source to confirm that just yet. Regardless, if both evaluations reveal no lingering effects of the tibia issue, you'd have to feel a bit better about him from a medical standpoint.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Is a stress fracture something that never truly heals? I'm wondering why this injury is such a concern.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

When asked if an extension was a priority, Atogwe said: "It's something that at first I was thinking about. Now I'm not really focusing on that. It's a situation where if I come back this season, I'm going to play out my one-year tender and go from there."
    Well, that's not really something you'd like to hear. Unfortunate, just one more contract in what will turn out to be a significant offseason (2009) for Rams FA.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I saw that too, Hub. I'm figuring that once we get the draft done and see where we think our cap will be, we'll start addressing those contracts, namely Jackson's and Atogwe's.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I think people are kind of reaching when it comes with Dorsey and his injury. I saw him play through that injury in the game against Alabama and a few others this year and he was still a stud. If thats what he looks like while injured, it's scary to think how good he could be.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I say don't move anyone UP by their workouts. The Medical evaluation is another thing entirely.

Many teams have been burned by becoming infatuated with cone dances, long shuffles, and shiny muscles.

Bring me a Football player.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I say don't move anyone UP by their workouts. The Medical evaluation is another thing entirely.

Many teams have been burned by becoming infatuated with cone dances, long shuffles, and shiny muscles.

Bring me a Football player.
    Dorsey is a great football player. His pro day merely confirmed what we already knew. The reasons not to take this guy are:

1) You don't want to move Carriker from the UT position.

2) You believe that Dorsey's contribution at UT would be less than C.Long or Gholston at DE.

3) You value C. Long, J. Long or Gholston higher to meet your needs.

Myself, I'll take anyone of the top 4 choices and be happy. Any one of them will do us well. If I had to make a choice, I'd go defense before offense 1st. Keep in mind there are some great players, offensive AND defensive to be had in the second round.
    Last edited by viper; -04-01-2008 at 10:23 AM.