throwback week

ramhard is offline Registered User

Downside to clear WR need and no CBA

If you go through all the draft mocks, even here on clanram, the overwhelming consensus is J. Jones. I don't think I've seen such a consensus for a mid-round 1st. What makes this pick much more likely is that with no CBA agreement, the Rams won't be able to sign any vet WR's as FA's (or trade any players) so the need will be glaring.

The downside to all this is that other teams see this as well. If another team wants Jones, they know they'll have to leapfrog the Rams for him. So I think the consensus increases the changes of someone trading up for Jones ahead of the Rams.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Downside to clear WR need and no CBA

Could be, but if we want him bad enough, we could always trade up ourselves just to ensure that nobody steals him out from under us. Alternately, we could always look for a trade option after the draft if we haven't addressed the situation sufficiently by that point.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Downside to clear WR need and no CBA

Yeah I understand your point Ramhard, but the same thing could be said if a CBA is struck and free agency happens before the draft. What if the Rams can't (or don't) sign a #1 WR and the draft comes around..they'd be in the same boat. Conversely without a CBA before the draft, if the Rams are targeting J. Jones and someone trades up to take him, they will still have the free agent crop of receivers to look for one.

ramhard is offline Registered User

All about risk

I hear you about signing FA WR if miss in draft, but then you run into the whims of receivers and other teams. The great thing about the draft is you get sole negotiating leverage rather than having to compete with other teams. The key is that the Rams need big help NOW and not just slight improvement at WR.

So yes, I could definitely see the Rams trading up if Jones does well at the combine.