Thread: Draft Choice?

steviej is offline Registered User

Draft Choice?

i think it was good that the Rams lost becuse, now if they start lsoing they'll get a much better draft pick.

:clanram: Let's Go Rams!! We will trample you!!!!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Choice?

I hate this attitude. SInce you brought it up though, I dont think it really matters. If the Rams draft Jimmy Williams, oh joy. Another rookie in an already young secondary. Who cares that we drafted Ron Bartell last season and have Jerametrius Butler coming back, as well as a healthy Travis Fisher. I'm actually excited about the secondary.

The position that needs to be upgraded is LB. Pickett and Kennedy are good DTs. Little and Hargrove are good DEs. Brandon Chillar is not a good OLB. The Rams NEED to draft DeMeco Ryans.

DeMeco plays special teams, is good in coverage, can russ the passer, and is amazing in run support. He is the second best LB behind A.J. Hawk.

Somehow, I know that the Rams will mess up. We're going to add another YOUNG player to our secondary. We're going to deal with the same problems with our LB corps. We're going to deal with horrific run support again. We're going to let one of the best LB prospects in a while slip away. I just see this happening again.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

A better draft position can mean absolutely nothing under certain circumstances. Let's say we finish with the sixth overall pick, and in the top five, Bush, Leinart, Mario Williams, Jimmy Williams, and AJ Hawk are selected. Despite having the high pick, we've missed out on the three best defensive players. If we selected a defensive player at that spot, as of right now it would probably be a sizeable reach in terms of value. So having the better draft position isn't necessarily a good thing depending on how things play out.

As for Ryans, I wouldn't get your hopes set too high 39. I've done the same thing in the past with prospects and it often times doesn't work out. If you get in the mindset that the Rams HAVE to get this one guy and are in trouble if they don't, then you're only asking for disappointment. Because I think the Rams could grab someone like Michael Huff in round one and then maybe Abdul Hodge or Bobby Carpenter in the second, and come out feeling pretty good about their day, even without considering the third round pick.

There is plenty of depth at LB in this draft. I anticipate that the Rams could select a LB in any of the three first day rounds and feel pretty good about their prospect. The guy I'd actually really prefer the Rams not draft on the defensive side of the ball is Mathias Kiwanuka. For some reason, I'm just not really buying into him. I'd rather we take a later round DE like Tapp, Edwards, or even Wimbley and spend our early pick on something else than take Kiwa.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

As for Ryans, I wouldn't get your hopes set too high 39. I've done the same thing in the past with prospects and it often times doesn't work out. If you get in the mindset that the Rams HAVE to get this one guy and are in trouble if they don't, then you're only asking for disappointment. Because I think the Rams could grab someone like Michael Huff in round one and then maybe Abdul Hodge or Bobby Carpenter in the second, and come out feeling pretty good about their day, even without considering the third round pick.
    I dont think that the Rams HAVE to get Ryans. If the Rams have a shot at getting him, they need to go for it. He's not going to impress many people with his 40. When you watch him play, you'll understand why it doesnt matter. He is the best LB that i have ever seen at shedding blocks and getting to the RB or QB.

I would be happy if the Rams walked away with Chad Greenway or Michael Huff to improve the Safety position. As long as we pick up a TE in the second round, I'll be happy.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The one thing I have not yet heard many people mention is this:

A young, very talented hotshot college player, who is used to being in the media spotlight along with his winning team, gets drafted early in the first round. The team that drafted him not only sucks, but is the butt of jokes. But, this team offered him a great contract, and he knows that it is just the beginning.
    He's a natural athlete, and when he is on the field next to the rest of his new NFL team, he will shine like a diamond in a goat's butt. The sports reporters will talk about how he's so great, too bad the rest of the team sucks. And the whole time, he's thinking, "Gee, I am better than the rest of these guys, and I don't even have to try to do better!"
    Three years later, some other team will probably want him...most likely a reputable team. The team that drafted him is still struggling, and has blown a bunch of money trying to fix things, and can't match the offer from the other. So, the player ends up moving to a better team.
    All of a sudden, here's the former college star, the star of his former NFL team, and he's surrounded by players who have talent better than he has ever seen. He knows if he's going to make the starting lineup each week, he's got to bust his butt to do better. A new NFL star is born.

Moral of the story? If a team is bad enough to be drafting in the top 10, especially one that was a great team just 4 years ago, how hard do you think a draft choice is going to try? If he gets cut, being a first-rounder, he'll get picked up by another team fairly quickly.

So, please explain again how losing to a team like San Francisco has helped the Rams be a better team in 2006?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I dont think that the Rams HAVE to get Ryans. If the Rams have a shot at getting him, they need to go for it. He's not going to impress many people with his 40. When you watch him play, you'll understand why it doesnt matter. He is the best LB that i have ever seen at shedding blocks and getting to the RB or QB.

I would be happy if the Rams walked away with Chad Greenway or Michael Huff to improve the Safety position. As long as we pick up a TE in the second round, I'll be happy.
    Judging by where they're slotted to pick, they'll likely have a shot at him. But unless his stock increases between now and the draft, it wouldn't be good value. I would like to see the Rams add a quality linebacker, but the value has to be right. If we're in the top ten and we miss out on Hawk, I'm not sure Greenway, Ryans, or Brooks is going to be good value there. Both Greenway and Ryans are guys I've been seeing in the 10-25 range, and it's hard to tell where Brooks will be after a poor season. That's why I think we might be better off going DB/LB in round 1/2.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i think the lb with the number one pick is the way to go,you can build a defense around a great lb,ex-ray lewis and brian urlacher and if we draft well and smart in the other rounds and get some guys who can tackle this defense can make a major improvment next season providing we get a good defensive coord.