throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Draft Comes Down To 4 Players, 3 Plans

One week to go.

And so it comes down to a choice of four players. The “Big 4,” as they’ve come to be known.

In my mind, though, its more about three plans, rather than four players. Three plans that, in my mind, will accomplish what the Rams need to accomplish in this draft: (1) improve the pass rush, (2) bolster the offensive line, and (3) obtain a deep threat at WR. With these goals in mind, here are the three plans:

The DE Scenario
    If the Rams select either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, they will accomplish the first goal with their first pick. That is my preference, as I believe the drop-off at DE after the first round (C.Long, Gholston, Harvey and Merling), will be significant. In this scenario, the Rams can use a second round pick for a WR. There should be good talent available at that stage, as the WR crop, though unspectacular, is fairly deep. Even if there’s an early run on WRs in the late first round, a guy like Donnie Avery should be there at #33. At OL, there should be fairly good prospects available in the third round.

The Jake Long Plan
    If the Dolphins can’t sign Jake Long, I believe the Rams will take him. That will provide the Rams with a premiere talent to upgrade the OL, but will have a somewhat negative impact on filling other needs. I believe that, if Long is the first pick, the Rams will have to take a pass rusher in Round 2. Lawrence Jackson would be the likely choice, though I still hold out some hope that Merling might fall due to his injury (which should not hinder him in the long run). At WR, the Rams will have to hope a decent prospect falls to the third round (perhaps Jerome Simpson, Dexter Jackson or William Franklin).

The Dorsey Option
    If the Rams take Glenn Dorsey, it will be because he is perceived as the best available player. That is fine, presuming he lives up to his hype, but it will mean that the Rams will have to scramble if they wish to fill other needs. My dream scenario involving Dorsey would involve trading next year’s first round pick to get a late first rounder in this draft (probably would have to throw in another day 2 pick). How about a draft of: Rd.1A – Dorsey; Rd.1B – DeSean Jackson; Rd.2 – Lawrence Jackson; Rd.3 – Tony Hills. That’d work.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Comes Down To 4 Players, 3 Plans

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Jake Long Plan
    If the Dolphins can’t sign Jake Long, I believe the Rams will take him. That will provide the Rams with a premiere talent to upgrade the OL, but will have a somewhat negative impact on filling other needs.
    Very well said. If Jake Long is available, then I think he will be the pick. It gives us a great O-Line now, because the line would look like this:

LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Richie
    RG Barron
    RT Long

...and it will also leaves us in good shape because Long can ultimately take over the reigns from Pace at LT once Orlando has retired.

However, your 2nd point av is crucially important, in that filling other needs would become very difficult from there after.The two biggest needs of the team as of right now, seem to be DE and WR. If J. Long is the pick, by the end of Round 2, we would have only addressed one of those major needs, which leaves us having to address the last need in the 3rd, which may not be the player that could really help the team. We shall see.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nice AV I agree with;

The DE Scenario, I want this as my first choice.

The Jake Long Plan, would not be as sexy but would be a great pick.

The Dorsey Option, for me is not an option at all. He does not fill a need and he is not so much better then Chris Long , Vernon Gholston and Jake Long that we should pass on a need and take the best player.

IMO for the Rams it's now The Big Three. Dorsey is trade bait only for Atlanta. If we can move back and still get on of The Big Three even better.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    he is not so much better then Chris Long , Vernon Gholston and Jake Long that we should pass on a need and take the best player.
    But that's issue: We do NOT know how the Rams have graded C. Long in comparison to G. Dorsey. We as fans ASSUME that they are pretty much equal at this point, but we have no way of knowing what the Rams FO is thinking here. One thing I've noticed is that frequently the word "dominating" has come up when discussing either Glen Dorsey or Jake Long; but I've yet to read that word ever in reference to Chris Long. This could be a major factor when evaluating and ultimately slotting the players on your board.

WHAT SAY YE?

Mooselini Guest

Great post Rambos. Glad to see some people see our needs compared to wants.

I think we need the first option most. It clears our two biggest needs in the draft this year. I think after round 3, we can all turn off our televisions because we already solved our needs in this years draft.

We need a DE. Even if Gholston is our pick, he gives more to our pass rush compared to Dorsey or Jake Long. We need a DE. If Miami takes Chris Long, then we'll take Gholston at #2. I think he's worth the pick in all honesty.

Rambos is offline Registered User

But that's issue: We do NOT know how the Rams have graded C. Long in comparison to G. Dorsey. We as fans ASSUME that they are pretty much equal at this point, but we have no way of knowing what the Rams FO is thinking here. One thing I've noticed is that frequently the word "dominating" has come up when discussing either Glen Dorsey or Jake Long; but I've yet to read that word ever in reference to Chris Long. This could be a major factor when evaluating and ultimately slotting the players on your board.

Ok we may not know how the FO rates them, true. I have not read antywhere that there is Dorsey and everyone else is down a level. I have read the top 5,6 players and then everyone one else drops. Thats why we don't want to drop out of the top five.

"dominating" may not be used for C. Long. But is is for Vernon Gholston, flat out. thats why he is in my Big Three.

The Rams FO might see C.Long as a better all round football player then a Gholston, but both can play at a high level and fill a need.

Jake Long again fills a need.

Where as Dorsey is not a need but can play at a high level.

We do NOT know how the Rams have graded C. Long in comparison to G. Dorsey.
    Does not matter Dorsey is not a need. DE.LT are higher on the list then another DT.IMO
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-18-2008 at 03:34 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Av,

Once again you've done a great job in describing our options in the early portion of the draft. I think the Jake Long scenario demands some further discussion of how we handle the pass rush. I personally would love us to get Lawrence Jackson. I like USC players because they come the NFL ready to play and Pete Carroll teaches his players how to be effective pros. He played tougher opposition in the Pac 10 than Chris Long faced in the ACC. Furthermore I believe under any scenario we need to find help at LB. That could mean we draft an edge rusher a la Merriman or Ware or we move Will Witherspoon outside and draft an ILB. I like that approach because I don't believe drafting one great DE will answer our pass rush problem entirely. You need multiple players to keep the opposition guessing and we need to be a better blitzing team. Most of our opponents in 2008 have established QB's whom we need to make less effective.

Your Dorsey option scares me because it replicates what the Niner's did last year and look at the price they paid in terms of picks. How badly would they covet that #7 pick given their abysmal team? Plus Dorsey will not elevate our pass rush one bit.

So after much babble, I like the Jake Long scenario and the WR can be drafted in round 3-4.

Go Rams!:r

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

WHAT SAY YE?
    Well if Schefter's to believed, then we have McFadden ranked atop our board... maybe we should draft him, hmm? Just because they have their board stacked in a certain order, does not mean that we'll stick to that order in the least.

You haven't heard dominating when Long is mentioned? Nothing about how he dominates and controls the line of scrimmage? How he dominates blockers because he who attacks first wins, and his hands are moving to attack before he's even close to making contact?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One week to go.

And so it comes down to a choice of four players. The “Big 4,” as they’ve come to be known.

In my mind, though, its more about three plans, rather than four players. Three plans that, in my mind, will accomplish what the Rams need to accomplish in this draft: (1) improve the pass rush, (2) bolster the offensive line, and (3) obtain a deep threat at WR. With these goals in mind, here are the three plans:

The DE Scenario
    If the Rams select either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, they will accomplish the first goal with their first pick. That is my preference, as I believe the drop-off at DE after the first round (C.Long, Gholston, Harvey and Merling), will be significant. In this scenario, the Rams can use a second round pick for a WR. There should be good talent available at that stage, as the WR crop, though unspectacular, is fairly deep. Even if there’s an early run on WRs in the late first round, a guy like Donnie Avery should be there at #33. At OL, there should be fairly good prospects available in the third round.

The Jake Long Plan
    If the Dolphins can’t sign Jake Long, I believe the Rams will take him. That will provide the Rams with a premiere talent to upgrade the OL, but will have a somewhat negative impact on filling other needs. I believe that, if Long is the first pick, the Rams will have to take a pass rusher in Round 2. Lawrence Jackson would be the likely choice, though I still hold out some hope that Merling might fall due to his injury (which should not hinder him in the long run). At WR, the Rams will have to hope a decent prospect falls to the third round (perhaps Jerome Simpson, Dexter Jackson or William Franklin).

The Dorsey Option
    If the Rams take Glenn Dorsey, it will be because he is perceived as the best available player. That is fine, presuming he lives up to his hype, but it will mean that the Rams will have to scramble if they wish to fill other needs. My dream scenario involving Dorsey would involve trading next year’s first round pick to get a late first rounder in this draft (probably would have to throw in another day 2 pick). How about a draft of: Rd.1A – Dorsey; Rd.1B – DeSean Jackson; Rd.2 – Lawrence Jackson; Rd.3 – Tony Hills. That’d work.

I would only be happy with the DE scenario. It is the only one that makes sense to me.

The other two would have to be influenced by another team for me to accept.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The Jake Long/Philip Merling scenario would be a great first two rounds, but I am not at all optimistic about that happening. Otherwise, I agree that the drop-off at defensive end is steep. Guys like Groves and Campbell definitely have question marks on them. The Defensive End Strategy makes the most sense to me and also strikes me as the most likely with Jake Long in contract talks with Miami (though he still might choose not to sign).