keith m. klink Guest

DRAFT guru's on crack.

I know you guy's pop around websites to check these (GURU'S) draft's and such. but this pat kirwin guy has to be smoking something , just out of this planets reach, i don't know where he get's HIS information from , but someone help me please, just how bad did the rams pass defense stink up the field last year anyway. i would swear that they finished 7th or 8th , or top10 or something. this guy has us picking DARELL REVIS with #13 , because we havn't fixed the problems we have at our CB-S positions .and to boot , we let that MACK TRUCK from arkansas , ANDERSON i think his name is , go right past us and slip to #15 or #16 or something of the sort. ya know, i need to start smokin weed , because if reallity looks like that to a PROFESIONAL FOOTBALL GURU- DRAFT EXPERT , just imagine the crap i could think up talkin to you guy's. so please help me understand how bad our team really is , and how totally stupid we all are for thinking we need line help. and also, if JUSTIN HARRELL jumped up into the middle of the first round , ( I LOVE THIS GUY) why wouldn't we grab him. he was projected last year to be a high first round pick until his injury.

JeffSmokersOnlyFan is offline Registered User

Re: DRAFT guru's on crack.

Pat Kirwin should really not be trusted when it comes to Mocks, he's good in the scouting departments and ranking the prospects; but just not at Mocks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

First of all, let's read his description of the pick:

Signing Lenny Walls and Mike Rumph has not solved the Rams' secondary issues. They probably regret letting defensive tackle Ryan Pickett go and this pick offers a chance to recover, but unless the Rams get ahead of the ***** to get Adam Carriker, they select Revis. There might be some discussion about fast-rising defensive tackle Justin Harrell from Tennessee, who just demonstrated he's healthy from his bicep injury with 31 reps on the bench-press test.
    So clearly Kirwan recognizes that they'd like to address their defensive line here, but in his mock, Adams, Branch, Okoye, and Carriker are all off the board. The only top defensive lineman available when we pick is Anderson, and various sources seem to suggest his stock has been falling a bit. Perhaps Kirwan feels Revis would be graded higher on a big board than Anderson right now. Agree or disagree with that, but I don't think it's an insane position to take.

As for the quality of the Rams' pass defense, it's true that the Rams finished 8th in pass defense last season... in terms of yards per game. That shouldn't exactly be shocking, because the Rams defense was the third lowest in terms of attempts made against them so obviously the average yardage won't be high. It's a deceptive stat that should not factor into a discussion about how good our pass defense actually is.

One of the rankings that should be looked at is opposing team quarterback rating. In that category, the Rams finished 17th in the league. So, mediocre/average. Opponent's completion percentage? 14th, again average at best. Opposing passing TDs allowed? 16th, again average at best.

There is a valid thought process that an improved pass rush makes the current secondary better. I don't disagree with that. However, I've also seen it attributed to either Jim Thomas or Howard Balzer that the Rams really think highly of Revis, and I believe Rams fans are a lot higher on our secondary than outsiders are. I don't think Fakhir Brown is as impressive as some make him out to be. Personally I found his play in 2006 to be solid but inconsistent. I'm almost positive Scott Wright brought up cornerback as a potential first round position during the Draft Chat.

So in the end, is Pat Kirwan smoking something? I think you're doing him a disservice if that's what you think.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't think anyone will argue that we don't need help on the D-line. However, if the Rams aren't impressed with the D-line players left when it is their turn to pick (assuming they stay at the 13 spot), and they really are high on Darell Revis, why not take him? It would be a two for one deal as in addition to playing db, he can return punts and kickoffs and therefore make an immediate contribution.

It is possible the Rams may have worked out a trade scenario involving a D-lineman, but prefer to wait until draft day to pull the trigger so as to keep other teams guessing up until the last minute.

I like the fact that the Rams are not tipping their hand ... Last year playing it close to the vest resulted in an additional 3rd round pick. For all we know Softli and crew may feel that there is solid D-line value available later in the draft. We don't have to draft a D-Lineman with our 1st pick -- we just need to spend that pick on a good football player.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Kirwan also had Amobi Okoye slotted to the Rams, he believes that Hall solved the line problems. More like a band-aid. It doesn't solve our defensive tackle problem. I see nothing wrong with going corner in the first round. I support Aaron Ross insead of Revis but that's not the point. I am not close to the biggest fan of Brown, I did like Travis Fisher but he's lost and Butler isn't worth anything. Bartell might prove something but it's a risk. Corners are very valuable and should be taken in every draft. We still need one first day, and if the line value isn't there why not take Revis, Hall, Ross whoever happens to be there? I don't think we can pay another high price linebacker in the first round.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i will say this, i am a LOT more comfortable with hall or reevis if thats what management thinks is the best defensive value than i am with ted ginn. anything on the offensive side of the ball with 13 is going to make me ill and i dont care what it is.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Country is offline Registered User

The reason that some mocks ave us taking a CB is that Fakhir Brown and Ron Bartell are not big names so when they see a guy they don't recognize it looks like a weakness.

Our S are worse than our CBs

keith m. klink Guest

WOW NICK , i have to agree with you , somehow , you always seem to come back and kick someone's ass , and that ass is me . good point's and well spoken, and no disservice to pat .i get a little bitter when it seem that people really don't give this team any credit for what they do , it almost seems to me that we are a whipping boy or the forgotten team , even the crappy teams get better airtime , i just don't see the rams as being in such a bad state as others, and maybe i'm smokin crack . i kinda like most of the way the team is moving. but way to hand me my backside AGAIN NICK .

keith m. klink Guest

NICK , i had gone and did some reading of KIRWINS other writings , and found that you were right and i was wrong about his thoughts on REVIS and the rams #13 . i must apologize to PAT KIRWIN , and am glad that you have a point of view not as narrow as mine seem to be at times . and the more i looked at REVIS 's double threat ability as a return man, and one of the best DB's in the draft , i understand more of KIRWINS thinking and understand that his opinions come from years of being in the business , working in the JET'S organization , and being in the area of football business itself.so i just wanted to thank you for your opinion , because it lead to a change in mine , and a more possitive one, which only makes me better . thanks NICK , and you can keep cuttin me up when i'm a dumb ass . KK.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think alot of our negative statistics against the pass came when Fisher was playing. He seemed to get torched nearly every game. Once Hill was inserted as a starter and Bartell started getting regular time our pass d improved alot. I am not for us picking a corner at all. Hill and Brown are both solid and I think in the long run Bartell maybe better than both of them. Imo he has the physical skills to be a star and from all the coaches accounts has a tremendous work ethic. If anything we should draft a safety as even though Chavous and Atogwe played well we could use a physical, punishing type of safety.

keith m. klink Guest

nice post PANTS, i too think our DB'S are very good , and a little underrated. we will see this year , if we stop the run a bit, then the passes will come and we shall see.