ratmfan23 Guest

Draft Insider Russ Lande on Rams Draft Options

[LEFT]Lande said he thinks Vernon Gholston is more of a workout warrior instead of a dominant player. He said that Gholston could be a scary early round guy especially at #2 overall.

Lande said that if the Dolphins don't trade their #1 overall pick, he thinks they would take Chris Long, and the Rams would take Jake Long. Russ thinks that the Rams should let Long and Alex Barron compete for the RT position to start a fire under Barron and see if he can play at a higher level like many people believe he can. Lande said, "If you don't protect (Marc) Bulger, next year is shot anyway."

He also talked about Glenn Dorsey, Mario Manningham, risky picks, likely trade partners with the Rams, and other potential Rams' picks.

I listened to the interview on STL Sports Insider.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-26-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: No links

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Insider Russ Lande on Rams Draft Options

Thanks good info...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Lande said he thinks Vernon Gholston is more of a workout warrior instead of a dominant player. He said that Gholston could be a scary early round guy especially at #2 overall.
    Agreed. Luckily (from my perspective) very few people outside of these boards seem to think the Rams would stretch to take him #2 overall. His main appeal seems to be that he fills a need. But you don't pass on game-changing dominant players at #2 overall simply because they don't fill your largest need.

OT and DT are needs too, and I just don't see the Rams passing on both Dorsey and J. Long (assuming C. Long is gone) so they can grab a good but not great DE.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I'm very very torn between Jake Long and Gholston at #2. I think either of them could go there. I very much do worry about Gholston being a workout warrior and him never living up to his hype. At the same time, he could be the best defensive player in the draft as well. But hey, even Julius Peppers had a bad year this year, so that doesn't mean much(and Peppers was a #2 pick!). He has the best measureables of anyone in the draft, but has performance questions in the form of playing in every game on every down. When he plays, he's spectacular, when he doesn't, he's just ok. We need a player who will leave it all on the field, every sunday.

Jake Long seems to be the most solid of all players in the draft for the simple fact that he only lost two battles his entire four year collegiate career. While he may not be as athletic as Joe Thomas, I still think he can be an effective left tackle, because he's much more technically sound. He's a more developed player. He could lose some battles now and then against big time speed rushers, like Gholston, but for the most part, he'll be solid on the left side. In the mean time, he can get prepared on the right side at either tackle or guard. By taking him, we highly solidify the offensive line and that should allow us to keep drives alive and thusly work AS a defense.

So the more I think, the more I start to think that Jake Long might be the best second option to Chris Long. The biggest thing is that a bust here will lead to more top ten picks. This is the first time in five years that Detroit isn't picking in the top ten. I don't want to be them. Yes, it's the safe pick, but you know, I would rather be safe and get out of the top ten than be stuck trying to draft another primary DE in two years, as opposed to just Little's replacement and sidekick to the main guy.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Totally agree, Teke

Those are my thoughts..............STEALER