Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

For Draft Looks like Huff, Greenway, or Williams

While we know it is still early, this year's draft seems less crazy at the top than most. Th combine will shake some of this out, but the top three are set (not like last year with all the debate over Alex Smith vs. Rodgers with Rodgers dropping way down), even if the order might change. Then the next few slots are fairly set as well and would be surprised to see a huge change (Ferguson, Hawk, and DE Williams).

So at 11, it looks like the Rams will have some choice between S Huff, CB Williams (who is dropping and needs a big combine to move back up), and LB Greenway. One mock draft had a trade I liked... trading up with Green Bay to get AJ Hawk. That would be great, but hard to pull off. If the three above are available I think I'd go Huff. While LB is a bigger need, I think the dropoff at DB is bigger than the dropoff at LB this year... unless you are getting Hawk. The other LB that factors in is Alabama's LB Ryans, or if Hali from Penn St. drops down.
    Ryans is a weakside guy so I wouldn't draft him, and Hali is great, but given the current talent not sure he is the dominating rusher to be worth that pick.

All in all I think the Rams need playmakers and Huff is the best that will probably be there - Williams has the physical tools but didn't make plays last year.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

Re: For Draft Looks like Huff, Greenway, or Williams

Given the situation, I would be A-OK with either Huff or Greenway, depending on how the DC and Linehan want to play it.

rampete is offline Registered User

huff: playmaker in the making...reminds me of brian dawkins of eagles...

j. williams: freakish size, aggressive tackler with athleticism...about as mature and stable as a 15 y.o....

greenway: great athleticism and built...overrated playmaker who dissapear for long stretches...

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    While we know it is still early, this year's draft seems less crazy at the top than most. Th combine will shake some of this out, but the top three are set (not like last year with all the debate over Alex Smith vs. Rodgers with Rodgers dropping way down), even if the order might change. Then the next few slots are fairly set as well and would be surprised to see a huge change (Ferguson, Hawk, and DE Williams).

So at 11, it looks like the Rams will have some choice between S Huff, CB Williams (who is dropping and needs a big combine to move back up), and LB Greenway. One mock draft had a trade I liked... trading up with Green Bay to get AJ Hawk. That would be great, but hard to pull off. If the three above are available I think I'd go Huff. While LB is a bigger need, I think the dropoff at DB is bigger than the dropoff at LB this year... unless you are getting Hawk. The other LB that factors in is Alabama's LB Ryans, or if Hali from Penn St. drops down.
    Ryans is a weakside guy so I wouldn't draft him, and Hali is great, but given the current talent not sure he is the dominating rusher to be worth that pick.

All in all I think the Rams need playmakers and Huff is the best that will probably be there - Williams has the physical tools but didn't make plays last year.
    You have misinterpreted Ryans position with Bama. He has played every LB position. He's rated higher than Greenway and is as consistent as Hawk in his efforts. A LB corps of ...

OLB-Tinoisamoa
    MLB-Hodge/Faulk/Claiborne/Roach
    OLB-Ryans

Would be dominant. Ryans and Tinoisamoa both have good speed and Ryans has the ability to cover bigger TEs. He would be a great pick at #11 and is my pick right behind Michael Huff.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    You have misinterpreted Ryans position with Bama. He has played every LB position. He's rated higher than Greenway and is as consistent as Hawk in his efforts. A LB corps of ...

OLB-Tinoisamoa
    MLB-Hodge/Faulk/Claiborne/Roach
    OLB-Ryans

Would be dominant. Ryans and Tinoisamoa both have good speed and Ryans has the ability to cover bigger TEs. He would be a great pick at #11 and is my pick right behind Michael Huff.
    Dude just because he is rated higher than greenway doesn't mean he is better
    RamsFan16

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

we could take greenway in the first and bobby carpenter in the second which i think would be better

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

You guys really need to stop getting attached to one player. We dont even know who our D- Coordinator is or what he will run.

Hey, I just make a call based on the options given.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He's rated higher than Greenway
    According to who? Mel Kiper?

I know you're high on Ryans, but I really wouldn't say he's surpassed Greenway as the second OLB at this point. He could with a strong workout and interview, but right now I think saying he's rated higher is more speculation than anything concrete.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampete is offline Registered User

i'm inclined to think that greenway is the better prospect due to his size, speed and athleticism...having said that i believe d. ryan will be the better nfl linebacker due to his instincts, smarts and tackling ability...

e. hartwell mlb of the falcons was considered too slow and not athletic enough when he came in to the league 6 seasons ago...he was drafted in the fourth round...

l. briggs olb of the bears was considered too slow and not athletic when he came to the league four years ago... he was drafted in the 3rd round...

i think d. ryan fits the same mold as these players forementioned...he's slow in the 40 and not particularly athletic but he's got superior instincts and tackling ability...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    i'm inclined to think that greenway is the better prospect due to his size, speed and athleticism...having said that i believe d. ryan will be the better nfl linebacker due to his instincts, smarts and tackling ability...

e. hartwell mlb of the falcons was considered too slow and not athletic enough when he came in to the league 6 seasons ago...he was drafted in the fourth round...

l. briggs olb of the bears was considered too slow and not athletic when he came to the league four years ago... he was drafted in the 3rd round...

i think d. ryan fits the same mold as these players forementioned...he's slow in the 40 and not particularly athletic but he's got superior instincts and tackling ability...
    Thats the take on him down in the south. Although he's not the fastest guy out there, you wont find a guy who plays with more heart or plays the game faster than DeMeco Ryans. Ryans and the rest of the Alabama defense embaressed the Texas Tech offense, and I believe that Ryans is going to be the same type of guy in the NFL.

Yeah, I've become attached to Ryans, but mainly because he is a personal friend of mine and I would love to see him in St.Louis.

For the questions about his placement, I know that most draft boards have him rated as the second best LB in the draft right now. I'm just going on the draft boards that I have seen.

For the questions about his placement, I know that most draft boards have him rated as the second best LB in the draft right now. I'm just going on the draft boards that I have seen.
    Links? The three I trust the most are Great Blue North, Sporting News, and NFL Draft Countdown, and none have Ryans over Greenway at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Links? The three I trust the most are Great Blue North, Sporting News, and NFL Draft Countdown, and none have Ryans over Greenway at this point.
    I dont have links, I just check them as I come across them. You're not going to hear me complain if we get Greenway, but I do believe that Ryans is the better LB because of his instincts, coverage ability, and game speed.

So, no Huff love, eh?

Now, I'll be the first to admit I know jack squat about building an NFL defense as I'm more used to the "Hey let's go get 25-27 guys to come here" approach, so is there a reason you guys'd go for a LB over a CB like Huff?

Quote Originally Posted by Blankman17
    So, no Huff love, eh?
    I'm a big Huff fan. Right now, I'd rather take him than a LB with that first pick, unless somehow AJ Hawk falls. I think Huff could be an immediate starter at safety and at worst a nickel back as a corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast