Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Draft Musings March Edition

The more I try to put myself in the shoes of NFL GMS, the more I see those second round picks looking golden, and nearly impossible to pry away, even more so than usual, in a move down scenario.

That's why I don't see a number of big moves on draft day or before.

However, looking at the way the first round talent is laying out, the way positions look to be tiered, and the depth of each, as well as the team needs, I am pretty certain there are going to be some "hopover deals", where a team gives up a third rounder, and/or a pick in 2015 expecting a weaker draft class then, to move up past a team they think has the same desire for a certain player.

I can really see that happening with the third and fourth best OTs, Lewan and Martin, with so many teams having that need badly, and so few other options to get a guy.

You could see Cleveland trying to get ahead of Jacksonville right off the bat, if the QB scenario plays out a certain way.

Oakland could do the same to Cleveland if THEY stay put.

One could see the Steelers moving up ahead of the Rams at 13 for a WR like Evans or Watkins.

Teams looking for a TE might see Ebron as the only true stud, and DT like Aarion Donald always seem to draw trades.

A bunch of teams drafting later might get antsy hoping WR Lee, Benjamin, or Cooks is going to fall, good teams that can spare a third rounder easily.

The fact that two of them are the Niners and Seahawksm bitter rivals, could really make it interesting as they pick just two selections apart now. They may both think getting ahead of the Patriots at pick 29 is necessary to get their WR, but the Patriots will also know this might happen.

Then you look at Carolina at 28, also likely to look hard at WR.

But even before that, you know that Watkins and Evans will be gone top 15, leaving those later picking teams to watch, knowing that The Steelers at 15, Ravens at 17, Jets at 18, Dolphins at 19, Chiefs at 23, and Browns at 26 will be looking at those three other sure 31 guys there as well .

That whole WR/TE deal could get very interesting

As far as Zack Martin, the last OT with a solid first round grade, you have to figure he never gets past the Dolphins at 19, where most mocks have him going. That looks like about as sure a pick as you will see, considering the dire need for a tackle there.

But what if the Steelers or Ravens, also desiring a tackle, grab Martin at 15 or 17?

If they don't it still gets very interesting, in my opinion.

Right off the bat, you have Arizona, picking 20th, and REALLY needing an OT, a team far closer to a playoff team than Miami. The Saints pick 27th, and are desperate for a tackle, and Carolina also now needs a tackle, with Gross retiring. So does Denver.

It may take too much to get from 31, 27 and 28 to 18 though.

As far as Donald, the interest would seem to begin heating up with the Bears, picking 14th.

SO who might be calling the Rams to try to move up ahead of Chicago to get arguably the best DT, and certainly the best chance to be a great pass rushing DT in this draft?

Most of the possible suitors pick late in the round, so it's all about the cost to move to mid round.

The Patriots, Chiefs, Niners, Seahawks, Broncos, seem to be the likeliest candidates.

Right now, I wish the draft had not been moved to May, and it's gonna be hard to wait so long this year with so much expected chess playing.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Draft Musings March Edition

Thanks for the insight, Barry. A couple of thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I can really see that happening with the third and fourth best OTs, Lewan and Martin, with so many teams having that need badly, and so few other options to get a guy.
    Agreed. I could see Miami moving up again this year, because I think there's a gap between the top four OL in this class and the rest of the pack, and if they're within striking distance of Lewan or Martin, they may strike.

You could see Cleveland trying to get ahead of Jacksonville right off the bat, if the QB scenario plays out a certain way.
    But even before that, you know that Watkins and Evans will be gone top 15, leaving those later picking teams to watch, knowing that The Steelers at 15, Ravens at 17, Jets at 18, Dolphins at 19, Chiefs at 23, and Browns at 26 will be looking at those three other sure 31 guys there as well .
    Question for you, Barry. Since you list the Browns as a team that could be looking for WR help in the first round, do you think there's any possibility they go Watkins @ 4 and then take their pick from Carr or Garoppolo @ 26?

I think we're all assuming teams at the top will be enamored by these QBs, but if they don't see a lot of difference between the top guys and the perceived second tier guys, they may prefer the elite talent of Watkins.

Of course, this is the strategy that also landed them Brandon Weeden, so you never know.

As far as Zack Martin, the last OT with a solid first round grade, you have to figure he never gets past the Dolphins at 19, where most mocks have him going. That looks like about as sure a pick as you will see, considering the dire need for a tackle there.

But what if the Steelers or Ravens, also desiring a tackle, grab Martin at 15 or 17?

If they don't it still gets very interesting, in my opinion.

Right off the bat, you have Arizona, picking 20th, and REALLY needing an OT, a team far closer to a playoff team than Miami. The Saints pick 27th, and are desperate for a tackle, and Carolina also now needs a tackle, with Gross retiring. So does Denver.

It may take too much to get from 31, 27 and 28 to 18 though.
    You also have to think free agency is going to sort some of it out for some of these teams, with Arizona already publicly being linked as having interest in Saffold and Albert from KC.